ASUS RT-N66U Rev 3.20 Possibly bricked.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
kend18
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:36    Post subject: update Reply with quote
ASUS RT-N66U Router came back to life after bricked it by loading the DD-WRT, dd-wrt.v24-18702_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U

1) Go to Asus web site and Download the Asus stock firmware, this is the file --> FW_RT_N66U_3004374257

2) Install Asus utility software that came with the CD-ROM or download it from the Asus web site, this is the file --> UT_RT_N66U_B1_4276

3) Set your Local LAN, NIC card to static > IP 192.168.1.12, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Default gateway192.168.1.1

4) Have a Windows XP computer near the router - it will be easier due to the order of operations.

5) Turn off the router. Unplug every cable from it except for one cable between computer and router.

6) Start the Asus firmware Restoration tool, Load the Asus stock firmware or the one you wish to flash, then click on Upload. It will start looking for your router.

7) Immediately press the WPS button, then power on the router, then press the Reset button on the router, then release WPS button and hold on to reset button for 7 sec

Cool Keep clicking on upload a few times, Wait 5 seconds, It should starts uploading the firmware, then release the reset button.

9) It takes about 10 - 15 mins to complete the flash for system recovery

10) Login to the router vis I.E. or Firefox, default username and password is admin
Sponsor
steve98664
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:50    Post subject: Bad Flash Recovery ASUS RT-N66U Reply with quote
I tried to flash the router with the DD-WRT recommended 24461. However, it failed and the router would not respond.

I followed Merlins guide...and the other kind folks here. However, I recovered the ASUS router using the router recovery software and a firmware version from ASUS. I should make a couple points for other folks.

1 If you go to the ASUS site, they sort software by operating system. If you select windows 8, the recovery software does not show up. If you select windows 7, it shows it up and you can download it. It will install on windows 8!

2 I recovered the router to the most recent ASUS flash image.

3 Then, I tried the recommended DDWRT flash 26138 from the forum pages.

4 I used the standard firmware update section on the ASUS software to upload and image 26138 to the router. I did wait a long time after the upload like 10min, before I did the restart which was recommended by the ASUS software while the image was being written, weird.

5 I don't like the ASUS software, too driven toward low level settings and the non-tech user. However, I found it odd that after the router was uploaded with the firmware, the ASUS prompts still popped up via web-html page format indicating I should reboot to use the new software (DDWRT firmware).

Good luck with this, I recommend 26138 for ASUS on this router!

Forgot to mention, did this with a hardwire connection from my laptop to the router, no IP change on the laptop. I think the ASUS recovery software said to use the WAN port for the cable, can't remember, but check this.
mgm
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
hello and thanks for this easy instruction, I have reanimated my N66U an now works with this file:

dd-wrt.v24-29816_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx

greez Mark
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: