Flashing WNDR4300 SureWest with dd-wrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
gueriLLaPunK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
SirDracula wrote:

Mind uploading it to dropbox or something for a few minutes so I can grab a copy? It does not work for me, though I can download the one from the 2nd post WNDR4300SW-V1.0.0.2SW.img -- is this the stock firmware, is it modified in any way?

Code:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7297522/wndr4300SW-factory-ddwrt.img

Just download the one posted and you will have dd-wrt installed. After that, you can install stock, non surewest firmware if you want.
Sponsor
SirDracula
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
gueriLLaPunK wrote:
SirDracula wrote:

Mind uploading it to dropbox or something for a few minutes so I can grab a copy? It does not work for me, though I can download the one from the 2nd post WNDR4300SW-V1.0.0.2SW.img -- is this the stock firmware, is it modified in any way?

Code:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7297522/wndr4300SW-factory-ddwrt.img

Just download the one posted and you will have dd-wrt installed. After that, you can install stock, non surewest firmware if you want.

Thanks for uploading, I was able to grab it now.

I was asking about the firmware posted at the top of the 2nd page of this thread, WNDR4300SW-V1.0.0.2SW.img, also by betterjonshipman, what is it?
SirDracula
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I managed to get the posted version to work (build 21061). Is sshd broken in this build? I'm not able to ssh in:

Quote:

debug1: Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.6.1
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version dropbear_2013.56
debug1: no match: dropbear_2013.56
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-ctr hmac-md5 none
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-ctr hmac-md5 none
debug1: sending SSH2_MSG_KEXDH_INIT
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEXDH_REPLY
Connection closed by 192.168....
juan003
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 20:50    Post subject: Login / Password for WNDR4300SW Reply with quote
Looking forward to flash my 4300SW with DD-WRT too.

Mine did not come with any documentation from Surewest.
Anyone, please post the default administrator Login / Password for this router here.

Thanks in advance!
SirDracula
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is the proper procedure to go to plain stock Netgear firmware once DD-WRT is installed? Just flashing via the DDWRT web interface doesn't work, I'm guessing that DDWRT checks and wants only a DDWRT firmware update. TFTP?

What about going to OpenWRT from DD-WRT? It seems this router is fully supported by OpenWRT BB 14.07 but can't flash directly from SW to OpenWRT, we'd have to go to the modified DDWRT first and then to OpenWRT, I just don't know how. I tried using mtd and in the process I bricked my router, it's done, it doesn't even get into recovery mode anymore, the power light is solid amber and the switch lights flash amber every couple seconds, not responding to pings, etc. I guess I have to ask SW to replace it.
SirDracula
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is anyone able to flash a firmware other than DDWRT on these routers? It seems that once you are on DDWRT you cannot even flash to stock via TFTP. I can get in recovery mode, the tftp command is successful but then the router does not reboot on its own, if I reboot it by hand I'm back on DDWRT. Same if trying to flash from the web GUI.
There seems to be some protection that only allows flashing "SW" firmware, but where is it? Can it be removed?
SirDracula
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, if you want OpenWRT, I took the Barrier Breaker 14.07 image for the WNDR4300, modified the header and the checksum, so you can now flash it on the "SW" model:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/skr1tqioojzmm5v/openwrt-bb14.07-modified-WNDR4300SW.img?dl=0

Does anyone know if there's a way to change the identity of the router? It seems that we can only flash images that have WNDR4300SW in the header, I think we need to modify something on a mtd partition, I just don't know if it's possible
OneWholeBurrito
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Dracula, did you ever fix the ssh issue? I'm getting the exact same problem you are... I may try updating to a newer ddwrt, but will have to wait until I'm home next week...
SirDracula
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
OneWholeBurrito wrote:
Hey Dracula, did you ever fix the ssh issue? I'm getting the exact same problem you are... I may try updating to a newer ddwrt, but will have to wait until I'm home next week...

I haven't tried newer DDWRT builds, I have since moved to OpenWRT and I'm happy with it.
OneWholeBurrito
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I decided to take your advice and try Open WRT, but have not been able to flash it. I downloaded the dropbox file you linked to, and tried flashing it via the update page on the web gui, and it just stayed at my current version of dd-wrt. I also tried updating to that file via tftp and updating to a newer dd-wrt via the web gui, and neither had any success. And yes I have reset many ways and many times at various points in update attempts. Can you either suggest something else I might try or link me to some helpful advice? Thanks...
SirDracula
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
OneWholeBurrito wrote:
I decided to take your advice and try Open WRT, but have not been able to flash it. I downloaded the dropbox file you linked to, and tried flashing it via the update page on the web gui, and it just stayed at my current version of dd-wrt. I also tried updating to that file via tftp and updating to a newer dd-wrt via the web gui, and neither had any success. And yes I have reset many ways and many times at various points in update attempts. Can you either suggest something else I might try or link me to some helpful advice? Thanks...

I flashed mine via tftp I think. Or maybe I went back to the stock SW firmware first and then flashed via the stock firmware GUI to OpenWRT - try that.
Akarin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I encountered this problem after I got a WNDR4300SW version and now I know how to deal with it. If you are still suffering from this problem, I'm willing to help. PM me, anytime.
SirDracula
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
My uptime with my modified OpenWRT 14.07 from a few posts above:
Code:

root@router:~# uptime
 07:23:49 up 513 days,  9:24,  load average: 0.18, 0.10, 0.05

Rock solid? I think so Smile
Akarin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
SirDracula wrote:
My uptime with my modified OpenWRT 14.07 from a few posts above:
Code:

root@router:~# uptime
 07:23:49 up 513 days,  9:24,  load average: 0.18, 0.10, 0.05

Rock solid? I think so Smile

Beautiful!
nathan7
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
The download links are expired, will someone share the great image? Is it true that it changes the hardware ID to accept 4300 images?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: