"EA6300V1" (Q87-EA6400) BCM4360

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95, 96  Next
spurdy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 21:42    Post subject: Thanks to all who've contributed to EA6400 support! Reply with quote
Hey all, I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who spent time and energy sleuthing out the details needed to make DD-WRT run well on this hardware! Your trailblazing efforts made my experience smooth and trouble-free. Very Happy

I picked up a used EA6400 for $10 recently as an upgrade for my aging E2000. Luckily, it still had the absolute first official firmware (1.1.35.148797) so by reading up carefully I was able to get DD-WRT installed and running without any hiccups.

Before doing anything with firmware I completely tore the unit down to address the thermal issues. There was a thermal pad under the main heatsink, but the die still wasn't making particularly strong contact. I sanded the nuts on the heatsink down so they were just barely shorter than the height of the die. I then removed the pad, cleaned the die and heatsink, applied a small bit of Arctic Silver 5 paste, and very carefully tightened the screws down just to the point of being snug. I also removed and cleaned under the two heatsinks on the reverse side (beneath the radios) and reapplied them using a generic non-conductive thermal grease.

Finally, I flashed the last non-locked official build (1.1.40.160989) twice to get everything ready before the DD-WRT install process.

I'm currently running Kong's 29300M with the customized Koolshare CFE and everything's humming along wonderfully. Temps are great at low 60s for CPU, and high 40s to mid 50s for the radios. I've also got some 6dBi antennas and U.fl connector pigtails on the way for an external antenna mod (did the same with the E2000 previously.) I'm loving the increased performance with the dual core Cortex A9! My old E2000 was holding back my 100Mbps download speed even at a 453MHz overclock.

So, a hearty cheers and thanks again to everyone who made this possible!
Sponsor
n8lbv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 18:17    Post subject: EA6300 V1 is there a compiled working flashable img for it? Reply with quote
Hi I am weeding through many pages here and not
doing very well at coming up with an answer.
It's obviously not a "supported" device.
Is and can or will anyone here give me a quick answer
as to how I can get DD-WRT on this device?
Is there a compiled flashable image that will work?
I'm also not clear on if the EA6300 is the same as the 6400 6500 etc.
I'm getting bits and pieces of this picture but not
the full answer.
I'll continue reading and try to determine an answer
on my own.
But please help if you know or can give me a summarized answer and what I should do next.

Thanks.

Steve
spurdy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 22:17    Post subject: Re: EA6300 V1 is there a compiled working flashable img for Reply with quote
n8lbv wrote:
Hi I am weeding through many pages here and not
doing very well at coming up with an answer.
It's obviously not a "supported" device.
Is and can or will anyone here give me a quick answer
as to how I can get DD-WRT on this device?
Is there a compiled flashable image that will work?
I'm also not clear on if the EA6300 is the same as the 6400 6500 etc.
I'm getting bits and pieces of this picture but not
the full answer.
I'll continue reading and try to determine an answer
on my own.
But please help if you know or can give me a summarized answer and what I should do next.

Thanks.
Steve

Besides reading through the thread in full (which is absolutely a good idea given the many quirks of getting DD-WRT on this router) I found the following the most helpful:

Butterworth's summary and guide on page 67 of this thread:

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1009864#1009864

And Silent_Swift's online guide here (where all the file links seem to work)

http://gravitynet.co.nf/index.php/ea6400/installation-guide

From what I understand the EA6300v1 and EA6400 are identical hardware. Apparently there's a non-v1 EA6300 as well, and that's actually a different unit.

The biggest thing to be careful about is not accidentally updating the unit to one of the later official Linksys firmware builds that includes signature verification for any future flashes. That'll lock you out from being able to make the change to DD-WRT. The last build that's safe is 1.1.40.160989, which I found is still available on the Linksys servers (they just don't list a direct link any longer, I found it by manually hunting around and trying the build names listed in the changelog):

http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/firmware/FW_EA6400_1.1.40.160989_prod.img

If you're on anything earlier, make sure to disable automatic updates while it's still got the Linksys firmware. Even better, just keep it disconnected from the internet entirely until you've completed the whole process.
n8lbv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
And guess what my buddy who has the router just did...
LOL!
Thanks so much for your help and for the reply!
I think we are screwed.
I'll have to read through this and see if there is a
way out of that.
I'm plenty comfortable getting onto the board
And reflashing chips & stuff the harder way Smile
At this point he's planning on getting a new router
It's old,
and it's just for fun.
We don't really care if we brick it trying.

Again thanks!
Caple
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello.

I'm getting a Q87-EA6400 (6300V1) for cheap and will try to install DD-WRT on it.
The seller was getting rid of it because the router was rebooting everytime someone connected on wifi. Ethernet was ok.
The router was on 1.1.40.176337 firmware and the seller said he was not able to install any other 6300 firmware. He was probably not trying 6300v1 firmwares.
Then he installed firmware 1.1.41.183873, from EA6700, and wifi was back to normal. BUT, everytime the router was rebooted, it entered a boot loop for some minutes, requering the user to reset it manually. Also the leds were not turning on.
I believe this behavior is due to the 6700 firmware.
So, it's a 6300v1 with 6700 firmware. The seller never tried a 30/30/30 reset or anything else but official firmwares.
Hope to be able to install DD-WRT with the methods in this thread.
jpearn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone have the latest 7.7 Merlin Koolshare firmware link ? I tried to register but can't get past the Chinese character Captcha !
plrosa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:53    Post subject: EA6400 uuid lost Reply with quote
Hi,

by accident I did 30-30-30 hardware reset. Everytime I upload ddwrt firmware using tftp, the upload stop at about 75% probably because there is no uuid. Is my device only good for garbage ? is there a way to reupload ddwrt or linksys firmware ?
Caple
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Caple wrote:
Hello.

I'm getting a Q87-EA6400 (6300V1) for cheap and will try to install DD-WRT on it.
The seller was getting rid of it because the router was rebooting everytime someone connected on wifi. Ethernet was ok.
The router was on 1.1.40.176337 firmware and the seller said he was not able to install any other 6300 firmware. He was probably not trying 6300v1 firmwares.
Then he installed firmware 1.1.41.183873, from EA6700, and wifi was back to normal. BUT, everytime the router was rebooted, it entered a boot loop for some minutes, requering the user to reset it manually. Also the leds were not turning on.
So, it's a 6300v1 with 6700 firmware. The seller never tried a 30/30/30 reset or anything else but official firmwares.

Yep. The router has 1.1.41.183873 installed. Reverting the firmware does not work. And installing the 1.1.40 version mentioned here is not allowed.
Any idea what I should do?
Caple
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Caple wrote:
Caple wrote:
Hello.

Yep. The router has 1.1.41.183873 installed. Reverting the firmware does not work. And installing the 1.1.40 version mentioned here is not allowed.
Any idea what I should do?

I was able to bypass the preparation and install the mini hack using the TFTP tool. Logged on DD-WRT, backed up UUID, loaded new CFE and so on. After rebooting, loaded on Linksys webgui.
Tried TFTP again and it completed the firmware upload. But now my router does not assign IPs, does not reset, does not respond do ping and does not load the webgui. I'm stuck on it.
Any idea?
Caple
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hooray!
Seems like now it worked.
I tried a 30/30/30 once again and, to my surprise, it started pinging. Seems like I didn't do it right the other tries.
When accessing the webgui I was presented with the Asustek CFE Server page. I tried to upload, again, the mini hack, but it failed. And also stopped pinging.
So, power off, power on. Pinging again. Again on Asustek page.
Decided to upload the Linksys firmware but, by mistake, hit directly "upload", instead of "browse". It landed on DD-WRT login page. O_o
From there I resumed step 4, copying the full DD-WRT image to it with WinSCP and applying it with Putty.
Reboot and... all working.
So far, so good.
Thanx to everyone that contributed to the tutorial.
Caple
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Too soon. :/
Had to reboot and I was back to the CFE Server page.
Uploaded the mini hack ad I was on DD-WRT. After some minutes no response from the router. And no ping anymore.
Damn.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
The mini hack was only used to flash an ea6300v1 that was on linksys firmware to dd-wrt so that the cfe could be flashed.
Since you already have the cfe flashed, yo should only need to use the dd-wrt firmware for your router.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
The mini hack was only used to flash an ea6300v1 that was on linksys firmware to dd-wrt so that the cfe could be flashed.
Since you already have the cfe flashed, yo should only need to use the dd-wrt firmware for your router.

I tried it on the CFE server page. But got a timeout.
Now I'm trying to make it respond to a ping command, so I can upload using TFTP.
Do you have any idea why it wasn't able to boot DD-WRT after a reboot? Is there any way I can find an answer for that?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you have the modified asus cfe, unplug the router, hold the reset button in, then plug the router in. When you get ttl=100 ping response upload the firmware.
Set a static ip on your pc.

I wish people would stop buying this router. Lol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
If you have the modified asus cfe, unplug the router, hold the reset button in, then plug the router in. When you get ttl=100 ping response upload the firmware.
Set a static ip on your pc.

I wish people would stop buying this router. Lol

I'll try it. It's getting hard to make it ping again.
I just got the router cause it was cheap and I could replace my 7 year old TP-Link.
If I don't manage to make it work I'll look for something good on black friday.
Thanx for the replies.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95, 96  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 94 of 96
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: