AC900/EA6200 DD-WRT firmware

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
raito77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cincinnatus wrote:
raito77 wrote:
Hi <Cincinnatus> !
2.Download edited CFE here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1012589#1012589
You will have to change et0macaddr, 0:macaddr, 1:macaddr and secret_code by using xvortex's CFEEdit.exe!
(with your router label) - save CFE.bin on PC will need later ...

Thanks for your prompt reply! Not quite clear on this...

Location of 'CFEEdit.exe'?
I don't understand 'with your router label' means
Isn't the edited CFE (linked above) correct for the 6200 or was it originally designed for another model?

Maybe I should just get a 6500 (V2) router on sale and not take the risk that I might brick the 6200?

Just download edited CFE for EA6200 and edit with cfeedit with Your EA6200 router backside MAC address and PIN info.
Sponsor
Cincinnatus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
raito77 wrote:
Just download edited CFE for EA6200 and edit with cfeedit with Your EA6200 router backside MAC address and PIN info.
You make it sound easy!

Ok, so where can I find 'CFEEdit.exe' download file?

ETA: Disregard. Finally found it, but I had to follow four different forum post links before I got to the correct link. Stuff is really hard to find around here, more so than any other tech forum (like XDA) that I've ever participated in.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I'm on the way to the store now. You'll probably be hearing from me again soon. Wink
raito77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cincinnatus wrote:
raito77 wrote:
You make it sound easy!

Ok, so where can I find 'CFEEdit.exe' download file?

ETA: Disregard. Finally found it, but I had to follow four different forum post links before I got to the correct link. Stuff is really hard to find around here, more so than any other tech forum (like XDA) that I've ever participated in.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I'm on the way to the store now. You'll probably be hearing from me again soon. Wink

CFEEdit.zip
 Description:
xvortex's CFE Edit

Download
 Filename:  CFEEdit.zip
 Filesize:  573.19 KB
 Downloaded:  1261 Time(s)

xaueious
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Based on what I am interpreting from the Chinese forum, this modified CFE won't not work the stock Linksys firmware, missing UUID and default login settings.

As long as you have written a bootable ddwrt image into your first boot partition (linux/mtd2), you shouldn't have any major issues.

I'm getting decent performance out of my wifi, no different than before flashing. I have exceeded 32k in NVRAM usage with no issue anymore Smile

I don't think this CFE flash is recommended unless you are really careful or have a way to recover the device from a brick.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
raito77 wrote:

My MAC settings:

et0macaddr=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:DE (on label)
0:macaddr=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:EF +(0x01)
1:macaddr=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:E0 +(0x02)

For those of us who don't understand Hex (if that's what this is), how do we figure out what entries to make?

My MAC address ends in D6. Can I use the 'dumb mode' in the editor and just enter my entire address and the default password of 12345678, or would I be heading for a one-way trip to Bricktown?
raito77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can use windows calculator - in settings set to programmer

in XEX put your last two symbols: D6
and from calc get out DEC: 214

and then just + 1 to DEC number

so then in calc put in DEC: 215 and get XEX: D7
so then in calc put in DEC: 216 and get XEX: D8

your:

et0macaddr=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:D6 (on label)
0:macaddr=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:D7 +(0x01)
1:macaddr=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:D8 +(0x02)
xaueious
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I decided to give the Chinese koolshare CFE a try, which is actually based on CFE 6.37.14.105 (r485445)

After booting DDWRT...

Not sure why image_second_offset=34603008 even though I try to set it in the CFE Editor, affecting both the modded xvortex one provided in this thread and the Chinese koolshare one. Same problems with partition sizes however overall with linux2 partition and everything after it getting truncated.

Reading somewhere that ASUS CFE does not support dual 'linux' partitions and DDWRT is detecting it weird. Scared to use web GUI to flash now...

At least the CFE GUI works if I ever need to flash it.

This DDWRT build seems pretty stable, happy with it

Anyone know how to modify the CFE to it can split the partition sizes properly? Alternately we can get rid of linux2 and rootfs2 so we have plenty of room

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
raito77 wrote:
You can use windows calculator - in settings set to programmer...

Understood.

Should I also change the PW (default on the sticker is 'xxxxxxxx2y' (10 alphanumeric characters) but the CFE shows 12345678. Same with regard to the router name (default is 'Linksys03609') - does that need to be changed also?

Would it be smart to back up the original CFE? If so, how would I go about doing that?

I also remember reading something about disabling the automatic update in the router. Should I do that first before starting this procedure?

Sorry about all these questions, but I've learned the hard way that what you don't know can hurt you very much. Wink
lowlymortal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 16:58    Post subject: No LED! Reply with quote
xaueious wrote:
Quote:

What I didn't expect was that the LED indicator doesn't flash anymore during boot, which scared me for a bit.

Sorry folks, I forgot to mention that there is no LED activity during bootup after upgrading to the xvortex-cfe-ea6200-as-ea6350-with-ea6200-devinfo.bin. Very Happy

I also checked the original devinfo data, and the value of "vlan2ports" is correct - there is a 'u' at the end.

Haven't gotten a chance to test yet, but it's good news that ddwrt can finally be run the ea6200s.
raito77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cincinnatus wrote:
raito77 wrote:
You can use windows calculator - in settings set to programmer...

Understood.

Should I also change the PW (default on the sticker is 'xxxxxxxx2y' (10 alphanumeric characters) but the CFE shows 12345678. Same with regard to the router name (default is 'Linksys03609') - does that need to be changed also?

Would it be smart to back up the original CFE? If so, how would I go about doing that?

I also remember reading something about disabling the automatic update in the router. Should I do that first before starting this procedure?

Sorry about all these questions, but I've learned the hard way that what you don't know can hurt you very much. Wink

No! Change just MAC address. PIN code is just 8 digits and you need put the exactly like on sticker.
Cincinnatus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
raito77 wrote:
No! Change just MAC address. PIN code is just 8 digits and you need put the exactly like on sticker.

Not on my router it's not. My sticker is 10 characters. I have edited the CFE with the characters on the sticker of the router.

I'm updating this post from earlier because I had a little progress, but no success.

My earlier problems were because I used an older version of the Linksys OEM firmware. I'm on the most current version (1.1.41.164830) now.

I was able to flash the FW_EA6200_1.1.41 firmware, but the router still keeps rebooting to the Linksys firmware. The DD-WRT firmware doesn't load. Is this correct? I've seen two other files mentioned:

linksys-ea6350-webflash
and
asus_rt-ac56u-firmware23940 (though this ends in a .trx extension)

Help would be appreciated. I'm anxious to get up and running.
Cincinnatus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, getting a little closer.

Here's what I did.

Flashed the most current OEM firmware
Flashed 'xvortex-cfe-ea6200-as-ea6350-with-ea6200-devinfo'
Router rebooted to dd-wrt
Enabled SSH in Admin and Services
Logged in with Putty as root
Sent command 'mtd erase mtd0'
Sent command 'mtd write c:\EA6200.bin mtd0'
ERROR: File could not be opened.
Rebooted router.
No access.
Bricked?
raito77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cincinnatus wrote:
Ok, getting a little closer.

Here's what I did.

Flashed the most current OEM firmware
Flashed 'xvortex-cfe-ea6200-as-ea6350-with-ea6200-devinfo'
Router rebooted to dd-wrt
Enabled SSH in Admin and Services
Logged in with Putty as root
Sent command 'mtd erase mtd0'
Rebooted router.
No access.
Bricked?

not good !!!!
wrong command ! -Sent command 'mtd write c:\EA6200.bin mtd0

You didn't read manual = make big mistake! = Bricked router

you miss manual - to upload your EA6200.bin to router !
Cincinnatus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
raito77 wrote:
Cincinnatus wrote:

not good !!!!
wrong command ! -Sent command 'mtd write c:\EA6200.bin mtd0

You didn't read manual = make big mistake! = Bricked router

you miss manual - to upload your EA6200.bin to router !

I followed your instructions EXACTLY. The firmware 6200 (dropbox) file you listed did not work, I had to use the 'linksys-ea6350-webflash' firmware.

Then, I tried to upload the CFE via the web browser and that did not work. Where does the 'manual' describe how to upload the CFE file? If that is the missing step, it would be good information to have.

I'm going to try a 6300 to see if I have any better luck. What would be really helpful for this model router are instructions like this:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1009864#1009864

Thanks for giving it a shot!
vitche
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
raito77 wrote:
Hi <Cincinnatus> !

Yes, You are right ! Smile i have one Bricked EA6200 in storage Sad with erased NVRAM.

So .. Yes if with stock CFE EA6200 do Erase NVRAM the router is BRICKET (flushed NVRAM with devinfo)

__________________________________________________________________________________________

This is not perfect manual but for me it worked ! Smile

1. Do NOT Erase NVRAM on stock CFE EA6200 !!! (also do NOT 30/30/30)
2.Download edited CFE here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1012589#1012589
You will have to change et0macaddr, 0:macaddr, 1:macaddr and secret_code by using xvortex's CFEEdit.exe!
(with your router label) - save CFE.bin on PC will need later ...
3. Flash dd-wrt like here:http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=956223#956223
4. Set ssh access in dd-wrt
5. upload edited CFE.bin to dd-wrt (i use winSCP)
6. just in case Backup you stock CFE: http://router_ip/backup/cfe.bin
7. Now need to erase mtd0 partition and then write edited CFE

ssh router and run commands:

Code:

mtd erase mtd0
mtd write Your_CFE_uploaded_location.bin mtd0

Don`t power off !! check if CFE is in partition:

Code:

dd if=/dev/mtd0 bs=2048 | hexdump -C | head
hexdump -C lom-cfe-with-ea6200-params.bin | head
dd if=/dev/mtd0 bs=2048 | hexdump -C | tail
hexdump -C lom-cfe-with-ea6200-params.bin | tail

8. Reboot router - if no router LED don`t worry Smile just wait Smile

10. flash with EA6350 firmware: http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2016/03-07-2016-r29218/linksys-ea6350/linksys-ea6350-webflash.bin

i hope it helps someone .. Smile

Thanks, works for me. Installed from second try, because did one mistake reboot on first try)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 8 of 11
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: