Bricked R8500 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
frossie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:04    Post subject: Bricked R8500 ? Reply with quote
Hi all,
i start this topic because i have a very strange problem with a Netger R8500.
Few weeks ago, i upgraded my stock firmware with Kong dd-wrt. After that the router rebooting continuosly, so i bought a USB-TTL cable and i tried to revert the firmware to stock with TFTP method: No success.
No success with stock firmware, no success with dd-wrt firmware .
Yesterday i tried with the initial stock firmware from netgear site 1.0.0.28 and surprise it works !
After i tried to upgrade with the other versions of fw (stock and ddwrt) but everytime i bricked the router.
The only solution is to have the initial firmware .
Why for you ? problems with the flash ? or others ?

thank you,
fabio

netgear ok.txt
 Description:
R8500 with initial firmware OK !

Download
 Filename:  netgear ok.txt
 Filesize:  26.33 KB
 Downloaded:  787 Time(s)

r8500_error.txt
 Description:
r8500 error

Download
 Filename:  r8500_error.txt
 Filesize:  24.54 KB
 Downloaded:  778 Time(s)

Sponsor
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
List the steps you used to transition from Netgear to DD-WRT firmware.
Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
frossie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
The first time i installed dd-wrt by Kong i installed after reset default without any problems.
After i revert from Kong to stock release and in that moment i had the fault.
After i tried to recover the router with 30-30-30 method with no success. The router continuosly rebooting, sometimes respond to ping with ttl=100 but any operations with tftp was without any result.
I bought the serial cable and with it i was able to put via tftp the stock and dd-wrt version of the firmware but the problem persists.
Yesterday i tried with other version of the firmware but with the same bad results till i tried with the initial release of the firmware stock.
With it and ONLY wth it the router works correctly.
After i tried to upgrade to wrt or stock more recent firmware but without no success.
Revert to initial version stock fw is always possible.
What's happen ??
frossie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:
List the steps you used to transition from Netgear to DD-WRT firmware.

From now :
1) firmware versione 1.0.0.28 (initial release)
2)reset to default
3)upload via web gui the chk from Kong release (29 sept) for R8500
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Long shot here but... it seeeeems to be a faulty flash memory.
frossie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:

i think that too..
there's a possibility to "mark" bad block ?
I don't understand if the problem is on NAND or in other places, and i don't understand why the initial version of the stock firmware is ALWAYS working.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
frossie wrote:
Xeon2k8 wrote:

i think that too..
there's a possibility to "mark" bad block ?
I don't understand if the problem is on NAND or in other places, and i don't understand why the initial version of the stock firmware is ALWAYS working.

I don't think it's possible mark them. I would think initial one is always working because it's 10% lighter than latest (26 vs 28mb) and probably it doesn't reach the bad blocks when flashing. Nevertheless, all this I'm saying is pure guessing lol.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 15:48    Post subject: Re: Bricked R8500 ? Reply with quote
frossie wrote:
Hi all,
Few weeks ago, i upgraded my stock firmware with Kong dd-wrt. After that the router rebooting continuosly, so i bought a USB-TTL cable and i tried to revert the firmware to stock with TFTP method: No success.

The crash comes from bad nvram config and your log shows a BS build, which is broken as he just recently reverted my init code for the netgear units.

Just stop at cfe, run command:

Code:
nvram erase

Power Off
Power On
Stop at cfe, run command:

Code:
tftpd

Don't flash a BS build for now use ftp client to either flash my build or stock.

If you go back to stock you might have to reset at startup otherwise it is possible, that netgear fw crashes due to different nvram params. Same can happen the other way around. But if you press reset for 15s and power on it should clear nvram, you should be able to see that if you are connected via serial.

Definitely no flash error, just simple nvram problem, that has been caused by flashing different fw without a reset.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 15:58    Post subject: Re: Bricked R8500 ? Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
frossie wrote:
Hi all,

The crash comes from bad nvram config and your log shows a BS build, which is broken as he just recently reverted my init code for the netgear units.

Code:
nvram erase

Power Off
Power On

Code:
tftpd

Don't flash a BS build for now.

If you go back to stock you might have to reset at startup otherwise it is possible, that netgear fw crashes due to different nvram params.

Hi Kong !
i used your procedure yesterday and the day before to update the firmware but i think without success.
The command "nvram erase" give me 0(zero) return code. The only thing i didn't do it's poweroff and poweron after nvram erase (after i simply started tftpd daemon and put it on the fw).
Consider that i tried BS fw as others stock and your releases to search a solution..only for luck i found the initial stock firmware working.

This evening i'll trying exactly you procedure, and i post it the result .

thank you for all your job !
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 16:18    Post subject: Re: Bricked R8500 ? Reply with quote
frossie wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
frossie wrote:
Hi all,

Code:
nvram erase

Power Off
Power On

Code:
tftpd

Don't flash a BS build for now.

If you go back to stock you might have to reset at startup otherwise it is possible, that netgear fw crashes due to different nvram params.

Hi Kong !
i used your procedure yesterday and the day before to update the firmware but i think without success.
The command "nvram erase" give me 0(zero) return code. The only thing i didn't do it's poweroff and poweron after nvram erase (after i simply started tftpd daemon and put it on the fw).
Consider that i tried BS fw as others stock and your releases to search a solution..only for luck i found the initial stock firmware working.

This evening i'll trying exactly you procedure, and i post it the result .

thank you for all your job !

try using: erase nvram Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
frossie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 16:21    Post subject: Re: Bricked R8500 ? Reply with quote
[/quote]

try using: erase nvram Smile[/quote]

I think that the correct command is "nvram erase" not "erase nvram" .
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 17:01    Post subject: Re: Bricked R8500 ? Reply with quote
If I'm not wrong on netgear fw is nvram erase. On ddwrt is the other way around.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Again:

erase nvram (erase is a mtd command to clean flash parts)

and

nvram erase
(nvram is a command to work with nvram vars)

are completely different. Depending on firmware you may find both commands.

In cfe, as mentioned, you use the command nvram erase. CFE only has basic commands and therefore no erase command.

You can compare both commands to a format C: or a delete in windows explorer. If the directory structure of the filesystem is broken a delete may not fix it and you have to run format C:

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,
unfortunaly any operation to search to upgrade from initial stock firmware to other firmware (stock or Kong release) failed.
Also with stock initial firmware something doesn't work correctly because dhcp is not working.

I don't know the root cause but i cannot think there is an hardware issue, because in the past i was able to do upgrade to stock or Kong release . I had these problems (brick) only when i tried to revert from kong to stock.

Any other suggestion ore test i can do ?
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is difficult to offer you any advice because you have already ignored
Kong's written instructions to clear up your problem.

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: