Support for netgear R6300 / R6300v2 ?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next
bltoby
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Duxa wrote:
Just want to spread some information for those that are using r6300v1 and have higher than 100 Megabit internet.

ddwrt does not support Hardware NAT, which is what allows r6300v1 to support WAN speeds up to 1 Gigabit. The reason for this (summed up) is that Hardware NAT is done via closed source software which has never been released, so unless developed separately it cant be used in new kernels that DDWRT uses (some people tried but results were not satisfactory, there will likely never be one developed). Instead ddwrt uses Software NAT (sort of emulation).

r6300v1 has a 600mhz single core CPU, which is not fast enough to push speeds of higher than about 110 Megabit via Software NAT. So your speeds will cap out at 110Megabit on WAN side.

There are 2 solutions.

1) Go to stock firmware

2) Use Tomato FW by Shibby http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=164 It has most of the ddwrt features (here is what it looks like with skin that I like - http://imgur.com/a/A45RI)

Why does Hardware NAT work on Tomato and not on ddwrt? Well Tomato uses same kernel as stock fw, so they can use the closed source binaries for Hardware NAT.

TLDR:
If you are seeing your WAN speed capped at 100ish Megabit then consider switching to stock or Tomato.

PS - In the future DDWRT's lack of Hardware NAT support shouldnt be too big of a problem since faster processors in the newer routers will be able to brute force the speeds.

I can get 120Mbit WAN throughput with my ISP.
Sponsor
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Duxa wrote:
Just want to spread some information for those that are using r6300v1 and have higher than 100 Megabit internet.

ddwrt does not support Hardware NAT, which is what allows r6300v1 to support WAN speeds up to 1 Gigabit. The reason for this (summed up) is that Hardware NAT is done via closed source software which has never been released, so unless developed separately it cant be used in new kernels that DDWRT uses (some people tried but results were not satisfactory, there will likely never be one developed). Instead ddwrt uses Software NAT (sort of emulation).

r6300v1 has a 600mhz single core CPU, which is not fast enough to push speeds of higher than about 110 Megabit via Software NAT. So your speeds will cap out at 110Megabit on WAN side.

There are 2 solutions.

1) Go to stock firmware

2) Use Tomato FW by Shibby http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=164 It has most of the ddwrt features (here is what it looks like with skin that I like - http://imgur.com/a/A45RI)

Why does Hardware NAT work on Tomato and not on ddwrt? Well Tomato uses same kernel as stock fw, so they can use the closed source binaries for Hardware NAT.

TLDR:
If you are seeing your WAN speed capped at 100ish Megabit then consider switching to stock or Tomato.

PS - In the future DDWRT's lack of Hardware NAT support shouldnt be too big of a problem since faster processors in the newer routers will be able to brute force the speeds.

As explained a hundred times, there is no HW NAT support on these units, only a few routers currently have a network accelerating co processor.

The only thing that exists on these units is a proprietary module called CTF (cut through forwarding) which just bypassed the firewall once it thinks the traffic should be allowed. This technique will render certain feature unusable, it is also questionable in terms of security etc., this is just some form of cheating and basically should be avoided.

P.S. We could use CTF but it does not work well with all of our features, and for those that need gigabit speeds there are a whole bunch of routers out there that are powerful enough to handle gigabit lines with dd-wrt flashed.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
Duxa wrote:

There are 2 solutions.

1) Go to stock firmware

TLDR:

As explained a hundred times, there is no HW NAT support on these units, only a few routers currently have a network accelerating co processor.

The only thing that exists on these units is a proprietary module called CTF (cut through forwarding) which just bypassed the firewall once it thinks the traffic should be allowed. This technique will render certain feature unusable, it is also questionable in terms of security etc., this is just some form of cheating and basically should be avoided.

P.S. We could use CTF but it does not work well with all of our features, and for those that need gigabit speeds there are a whole bunch of routers out there that are powerful enough to handle gigabit lines with dd-wrt flashed.

Sorry there wasnt much info available on this and I thought it was Hardware NAT that allowed me to get full 150 Megabit with Tomato/Stock but not with DDWRT. Thanks for clarifying that its CTF.

Either way though, this is just info for those that have v1 version of the router and are puzzled as to why their bandwidth is capped. I dont want to buy a new router when this one is still perfectly fine, but I did switch to Tomato since ddwrt caps me. I understand why its not supported etc, and thats fine. My post was more for those that dont want to upgrade routers but still want to get full WAN speeds.
RBraverman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 18:07    Post subject: WHICH v2 do I have Reply with quote
I have Charter Cable, BUT bought the router at Walmart, but has blue lettering on the front with a yellow band at the bottom.

NO cd after the firmware, but it's been updated 3 times - now sits at: V1.0.4.8_10.0.77 .

Which INITIAL firmmare should I use?

Can I use the printer without their software?

TIA!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 19:40    Post subject: Re: WHICH v2 do I have Reply with quote
RBraverman wrote:
I have Charter Cable, BUT bought the router at Walmart, but has blue lettering on the front with a yellow band at the bottom.

NO cd after the firmware, but it's been updated 3 times - now sits at: V1.0.4.8_10.0.77 .

TIA!

What router model does it say on the bottom label?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 23:59    Post subject: Re: WHICH v2 do I have Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
RBraverman wrote:

TIA!

What router model does it say on the bottom label?

R6300v2
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then use this http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.K3_R6300V2.chk

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Then use this http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.K3_R6300V2.chk

I've been using DD-WRT for donkey's years (what exactly does that mean?) BUT is there an explanation of what this gets me?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
That gets you dd-wrt on your router. When Kong releases a new build, you would use the std.arm.bin.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Duxa wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
Duxa wrote:

There are 2 solutions.

1) Go to stock firmware

TLDR:

Sorry there wasnt much info available on this and I thought it was Hardware NAT that allowed me to get full 150 Megabit with Tomato/Stock but not with DDWRT. Thanks for clarifying that its CTF.

Either way though, this is just info for those that have v1 version of the router and are puzzled as to why their bandwidth is capped. I dont want to buy a new router when this one is still perfectly fine, but I did switch to Tomato since ddwrt caps me. I understand why its not supported etc, and thats fine. My post was more for those that dont want to upgrade routers but still want to get full WAN speeds.

My R6300v1 is currently on build DD-WRT v3.0-r31277 giga (02/07/17).

2 Questions:

1. If interested in moving to Tomato, can I upgrade to Tomato from DD-WRT? Shibby's build linked above doesn't have an initial image as explained in the flashing guides (and I've been unable to find it anywhere for this model), so curious what's the best method to move to Tomato without bricking my device.

2. Is anyone running any of the newer DD-WRT builds on the R6300v1? Curious how those are doing and if it's worth upgrading at this point if I choose not to move to Tomato.

Thanks!
badsede
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 18:36    Post subject: Netgear AC1450 Reply with quote
Just thought I'd drop a note about installing on a Netgear AC1450 since most of the instructions I found were for earlier in development when the process was a lot harder. One of the advantages of being a late adopter is that other people have already gone through the pain, so install on this model is now a snap. I picked one up on ebay for less than a bargain-basement new router, so I'm pretty happy. Here are the steps I took:

1. Downloaded R30432 version of factory-to-dd-wrt.chk and netgear-ac1450-webflash.bin from ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/08-16-2016-r30432/netgear-ac1450/
    2. Reset factory defaults from within Netgear firmware.
    3. Using Netgear web interface, update firmware with factory-to-dd-wrt.chk
    4. The router will reboot when the upgrade is finished. I didn't even notice that it had done so, so I didn't have a chance to reset it after upgrade. So reset using the physical reset button just for good measure.
    5. Once the router reboots, you should see the dd-wrt screen. You'll have to change the username and password as usual.
    6. Use the web interface to load the full version of the firmware: netgear-ac1450-webflash.bin. Select the option to reset settings on reboot for good measure.
    7. Once the upgrade completes, it will reboot and you should see the dd-wrt login which will require you to set the username and password again.
    8. Configure away!

It's been working great for me. My internet speed tests are actually improved over my venerable Asus RT-N13b v2 even though my internet service is far below the speed capacity of either router. I'm running in bridged mode to a dsl modem, OpenDNS & DDNS with DNS-o-matic and UPnP for my plex server and all seem to work normally.

One nice thing is that shifting most of my traffic over to the 5GHz band has actually solved the interference problem I was having with bluetooth devices since they were sharing the 2.4GHz band with network traffic.

R30432 is working fine for me; I chose it since that's the last build I saw anyone using without issues. Anyone using a more recent build with success?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 18:50    Post subject: Re: Netgear AC1450 Reply with quote
badsede wrote:
Just thought I'd drop a note about installing on a Netgear AC1450 since most of the instructions I found were for earlier in development when the process was a lot harder. One of the advantages of being a late adopter is that other people have already gone through the pain, so install on this model is now a snap. I picked one up on ebay for less than a bargain-basement new router, so I'm pretty happy. Here are the steps I took:

1. Downloaded R30432 version of factory-to-dd-wrt.chk and netgear-ac1450-webflash.bin from ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/08-16-2016-r30432/netgear-ac1450/
    2. Reset factory defaults from within Netgear firmware.
    3. Using Netgear web interface, update firmware with factory-to-dd-wrt.chk
    4. The router will reboot when the upgrade is finished. I didn't even notice that it had done so, so I didn't have a chance to reset it after upgrade. So reset using the physical reset button just for good measure.
    5. Once the router reboots, you should see the dd-wrt screen. You'll have to change the username and password as usual.
    6. Use the web interface to load the full version of the firmware: netgear-ac1450-webflash.bin. Select the option to reset settings on reboot for good measure.
    7. Once the upgrade completes, it will reboot and you should see the dd-wrt login which will require you to set the username and password again.
    8. Configure away!

It's been working great for me. My internet speed tests are actually improved over my venerable Asus RT-N13b v2 even though my internet service is far below the speed capacity of either router. I'm running in bridged mode to a dsl modem, OpenDNS & DDNS with DNS-o-matic and UPnP for my plex server and all seem to work normally.

One nice thing is that shifting most of my traffic over to the 5GHz band has actually solved the interference problem I was having with bluetooth devices since they were sharing the 2.4GHz band with network traffic.

R30432 is working fine for me; I chose it since that's the last build I saw anyone using without issues. Anyone using a more recent build with success?

Btw, that build is over a year old. Use a newer one. http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 20:04    Post subject: Re: Netgear AC1450 Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Btw, that build is over a year old. Use a newer one. http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look. I'm a bit of a late adopter since I've had quite a few experiences with broken features in builds, so I might stick with "working" for now.
dsteinschneider
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:09    Post subject: Donated R6300 with dd-wrt works fine but amber power light Reply with quote
I am testing a donated R6300 v1 that already had dd-wrt on it. I updated to Kong's final for this model: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/06/14) kongac (mostly because I hadn't read further down the faq for this model that recommends dd-wrt.v24-31277_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-R6300).

Since I first powered it up it has acted differently from other 1450's and earlier Netgear routers that I have flashed with dd-wrt. The power light stays amber and it seems like the restart time is longer than I would expect but that said I've been using it with a laptop for an hour and it seems to work fine.

My questions
1. Is the amber power light normal? If not what might it indicate considering that they unit is working.
2. Should I move from the Kong to the newer firmware - BTW, it will probably only see use as an AP.

Thanks
Lost TARDIS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:10    Post subject: SEMI-Noob needs guidance Reply with quote
Good evening. So I have been going over the pages in this sub on what file I should be using to upgrade my current dd-wrt firmware. I am just not sure I am pulling the correct file and I can't brick my router so I could use a nudge in the right direction.

I have a R6300v2CH. I didn't even realize until the other day when I added a MAC address that I was on a 2014 build. Over at http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/ there is a CH build, but it is a *.chk file for the Charter version. But, I have seen it mentioned a few times that the upgrade is "dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin" However, in the supported devices document on the tree, it is stated that a *.chk file can be used to upgrade the firmware through the dd-wrt interface. I'm just not sure what file I need. Could someone please put me on the right path? Thank you in advance!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 51 of 54
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: