Joined: 26 Jan 2008 Posts: 13018 Location: Behind The Reset Button
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 20:09 Post subject:
Sorry, no. Only the internet light, and the lights to the computers that are on the network.
Ok.. that's good. Now all you have to do (should have to do), is tftp the fw image to your router.
Instructions are in the peacock thread stickied near the top of the forum.
You should only have one cable connected at this point and that would be the cable connected to the rig that is doing the update work with the router. And I am sure you have realized by now, your rig is not getting an IP because the dhcp server is not running on the router till you flash the fw so that requires a static ip set on your rig. _________________ [Moderator Deleted]
Last edited by barryware on Mon Apr 20, 2009 20:12; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:49 Post subject: Re: WRT54GSv7 also Works!!
This process ALSO works with the WRT54GSv7 with only a little HEX modification to the vxworkskillerv8!
*Of course, you'll have to reset the router to factory defaults before flashing*
Here's what I did:
1) Log into the WRT54GSv7.
2) Under the Administration tab, RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS.
3) Go back to the Administration tab [192.168.1.1].
4) Firmware Upgrade via the Linksys GUI vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin
5) Update will be successful.
6) Manually configure your Network Card to a manual IP something like 192.168.1.77, then Manually configure Gateway to 192.168.1.1, DNS to 192.168.1.1
7) Hold down the RESET button on router for 30 seconds.
8 ) Wait about 30 more seconds, then unplug router.
9) HOLD DOWN reset button, then plug-in router. Then release reset button after 5 seconds.
10) QUICKLY Open command prompt, and use TFTP command:
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8.bin
11) You will see the activity light on your network indicator "go crazy".
[[If #11 doesn't happen AND you get TFTP TIMED OUT, I had to repeat step 9 then 10 to be quicker]]
12) Wait about 10 minutes, and the TFTP should acknowledge success.
13) Log into DD-WRT Router!!!!
Thank you BrainSlayer + Tornado!!! I just slightly modified your VXWORKS .bin to work this way, too!
I'm having some problems with step 9 and 10, no matter how fast I copy and paste the tftp command I always get timmed out. Any suggestions?
Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:33 Post subject: WRT54G v8
Hi, I tried upgrading my firmware a few days ago and while i was loading it on my router, I lost internet connection and the upgrade got messed up. So i came across this site on how to fix it and read the steps on page 1. The problem is, I cannot get to that option on the router website. When I go to administration then firmware upgrade, the page shows up with a bunch of strange symbols. example "*�뻯���wYo[��L�mX". So can anybody explain what I have to do to fix the problem? I've tried to do a hard reset, also left it off with no power for a half hour and tried to reset to factory settings on the linksys page but still no luck. Please HELP! Thank you in advance.