WRT54G V8 Ram Upgrade from 8 to 32 mb w/pictures!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
dragon-fly
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
lucasmendes wrote:
Hello all,

Is it confirmed that WRT54G v6 (BCM5352EKFBG) does not have A12 line routed to the processor? Is this line available somewhere else? This processor does not have the green pcb border, like the EKBG does. There is a picture attached.

A12 May be routed to the cpu by an inner layer or from the bottom (other side) by a via. But from what i remember when i did this mod, A12 is required only for the 32 mb chips and not for the 16MB Chips.
Sponsor
lucasmendes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is correct. But I have placed a 32 MB chip and apparently pin 36 (A12) is not connected in the pcb. The "challenge" is to figure if A12 line is present somewhere else in the pcb, and then wire it to pin 36 to enable the full 32 MB.

dragon-fly wrote:
lucasmendes wrote:
Hello all,

Is it confirmed that WRT54G v6 (BCM5352EKFBG) does not have A12 line routed to the processor? Is this line available somewhere else? This processor does not have the green pcb border, like the EKBG does. There is a picture attached.

A12 May be routed to the cpu by an inner layer or from the bottom (other side) by a via. But from what i remember when i did this mod, A12 is required only for the 32 mb chips and not for the 16MB Chips.
dragon-fly
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
lucasmendes wrote:
That is correct. But I have placed a 32 MB chip and apparently pin 36 (A12) is not connected in the pcb. The "challenge" is to figure if A12 line is present somewhere else in the pcb, and then wire it to pin 36 to enable the full 32 MB.

dragon-fly wrote:
lucasmendes wrote:
Hello all,

Does it work right now? do you see 16 mb in the router? did you try the NVRam commands to get access to the full 32 mb? because by default and after factory resets, it will only see 16 mb until you tell the router it has 32 mb.

If that doesnt work, then i unfortunately have no knowledge of where A12 leads to on the PCB for WRT54G V6
lucasmendes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
dragon-fly wrote:
lucasmendes wrote:

dragon-fly wrote:
lucasmendes wrote:
Hello all,

Does it work right now? do you see 16 mb in the router? did you try the NVRam commands to get access to the full 32 mb? because by default and after factory resets, it will only see 16 mb until you tell the router it has 32 mb.

If that doesnt work, then i unfortunately have no knowledge of where A12 leads to on the PCB for WRT54G V6

Right after the chip change, it didn't boot at all. I grounded pin 36 (A12) and it booted with 8 MB (proving A12 is not routed). Then changed nvram_init from 0x02 to 0x0A, and it booted with 16 MB. I believe now 32 MB would only be possible if we had A12 routed.

I'm using the RAM V54C3256164VAT7, which is a 16M x 16, with RAS A0-A12 and CAS A0-A8.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
lucasmendes wrote:
Hello all,

Is it confirmed that WRT54G v6 (BCM5352EKFBG) does not have A12 line routed to the processor? Is this line available somewhere else?

A12 is present on the flash chip.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
lucasmendes wrote:
Hello all,

Is it confirmed that WRT54G v6 (BCM5352EKFBG) does not have A12 line routed to the processor? Is this line available somewhere else?

Yeah, he is talking about the PCB (the actual board) where A12 is not routed to the CPU, and he wants to know where to route it so he can access the full 32 MB.
lucasmendes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
dragon-fly wrote:
LOM wrote:

Yeah, he is talking about the PCB (the actual board) where A12 is not routed to the CPU, and he wants to know where to route it so he can access the full 32 MB.

Sounds good... I'll try to figure if the flash address bus is the same as the ram address bus and then wire A12 from one to another.

(BTW, eager to figure out USB pin location too)
lucasmendes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
lucasmendes wrote:
dragon-fly wrote:
LOM wrote:

Sounds good... I'll try to figure if the flash address bus is the same as the ram address bus and then wire A12 from one to another.

(BTW, eager to figure out USB pin location too)

No luck here, guys. I wired both A12's and got the blinking power light of death... fortunately I could revert to the old 16 MB configuration. Apparently there are really two address busses, one for the flash and one for the RAM.
dredx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I tried to do the memory upgrade with the HY57V561620CTP-H TSOP-54 4 Banks x 4M x 16Bit chip from HYNIX.

Before the upgrade, i did a hard reset, and the replacement of the new chip went fine.

Now, when i power on, the router sometimes works and sometimes not. When it works, the connection stays on for a few minutes and the router stops.

Sometimes when i turn on looks like it has been bricked( All the lan lights stays on).

I did not made the commands to reconize 32mb, however, it reconized the 16 mb.

Can anyone help me out?

Sorry for my bad English.

p.s: I have a wrt54g v8.
dredx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Problem solved.

I did some clean with isopropohol alcohol and the router started to work fine.

Also i did the commands to reconize the 32mb of and it worked.

So thanks dragon-fly for this post.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Display posts from previous:    Page 8 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: