Linksys WRT1900AC/Marvell support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 152, 153, 154  Next
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong is super busy right now.
I think he is lurking and doing things in the background right now.
No new firmware since the last closed release.

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
Sponsor
xsk3l3t0rx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 15:17    Post subject: any news? Reply with quote
it's been a full 10 days of waiting with no posts. any news? im convinced that AC mode on this router is very unstable, and that by enabling n only on the 5ghz band with a fixed speed and a specified channel it is fine. i get frequent dropouts if its on anything other than fixed settings... i've factory resetted, on the newest firmware..
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong is waiting for manufacture to fix two show stopper bugs.
No eta

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
xsk3l3t0rx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
awesome, thanks for the info mike. i am constantly checking this thread for updates, so thats good news that they are actively working on it still.
MrDoh
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think that we're waiting on bug fixes from Marvell.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see Mike's reply above when I replied, didn't notice a page had been added to the thread. Doh!

Last edited by MrDoh on Mon Jul 20, 2015 23:27; edited 2 times in total
xsk3l3t0rx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrDoh wrote:
I think that we're waiting on bug fixes from Marvell.

i read a similar thread last night on the openwrt forum where they are waiting for marvell to fix some major problems. so i guess i can corroborate your claim. Smile marvell needs to start playing ball, this router is like two years old now and we are still dealing with buggy ass firmware... its kinda sad since they promised open source support straight out of the box, yet here we are.
tbgeo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 23:42    Post subject: Re: any news? Reply with quote
xsk3l3t0rx wrote:
it's been a full 10 days of waiting with no posts. any news? im convinced that AC mode on this router is very unstable, and that by enabling n only on the 5ghz band with a fixed speed and a specified channel it is fine. i get frequent dropouts if its on anything other than fixed settings... i've factory resetted, on the newest firmware..

The auto setting does not know to limit the channel choices from 149-to-161, it might prefer 36 or so, which at a distance is useless, in my situation.
(can we mumble??)
Other users are beginning to catch on to this and everyone in the 5ghz range seems to set their routers to 155 or so, according to Inssider.
And the 2.4ghz band looks like an impenetrable spider-web in this area.
So....maybe dd-wrt might let me use CH 100, and with a signal meter, I could almost see that working.
(CH 36 works fine on blue moons with a signal meter in the BIOS)
I did not know about "N Only" so thanks so much for that.
xsk3l3t0rx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 23:54    Post subject: Re: any news? Reply with quote
tbgeo wrote:
xsk3l3t0rx wrote:

The auto setting does not know to limit the channel choices from 149-to-161, it might prefer 36 or so, which at a distance is useless, in my situation.
(can we mumble??)
Other users are beginning to catch on to this and everyone in the 5ghz range seems to set their routers to 155 or so, according to Inssider.
And the 2.4ghz band looks like an impenetrable spider-web in this area.
So....maybe dd-wrt might let me use CH 100, and with a signal meter, I could almost see that working.
(CH 36 works fine on blue moons with a signal meter in the BIOS)
I did not know about "N Only" so thanks so much for that.

yea, for 5ghz i set it to ch 157, that seems to be good, and as for the type of wifi i use, i keep it at n only because ive heard thats a more reliable setting from browsing thru other forums online. apparently theres some innate issue with the way this router handles "mixed" networks, i dont know why the hell we cant just manually set the channel to 80mhz for AC, or just list AC in the damn drop down menu, simple things! but no, for ac (which is the selling point of the whole damn thing in the first place), we have to select "mixed" and set the frequency to auto. its just dumb. ac should be on by default when u first turn the damn thing on.

but this is just my opinion...
davidc502
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 13:00    Post subject: stability Reply with quote
With a few tweaks, OpenWrt RC2 or 3 are just about as stable as factory, and in some cases more stable.

1. Turn of router dns forwarding, and have the router send the IP address of the DNS server to each client. I use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, but could be anything as long as dns is not pointed to 192.168.1.1. I have a house full of Apple Iphones/Pads, and the dns change alleviated slow down/crash issues.

2. Set CPU affinity. There is a current problem of spin-lock (CPU Stall) with wifi drivers. Currently all hardware is IRQ'd to just CPU0, and by splitting 5Ghz off to CPU1 and leaving 2.4Ghz on CPU0, this seems to have alleviated a lot of the CPU stalls. I've also separated Ethernet0 and Ethernet1. My testing has also shown by balancing affinity, gigabit downloads through NAT are no longer CPU bound. However, testing is incomplete as only one other person was able to test, and that person didn't show any improvement. However, someone else showed they were able to get 1gigabit download speed without doing any tweaking. Go figure. So far I'm a firm believer that you want to balance CPU cores as much as possible, so unless we get others that test, and say just using 1 core is better, I'm sticking to my guns.

Those are the 2 things I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm very happy with the stability, and just recently we've had people show they have over 1 months uptime without any issues. The most I was able to go with stock was 2 weeks on (1.1.9).

Also, there have been wifi driver updates from Marvel (as of July 2015) that will be reflected in up and coming releases of OpenWrt. Though at this point I don't know what these new drivers fix, but it's probably additional steps in the right direction.
xsk3l3t0rx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
this is the kind of logic that strikes me as bizarre. if linksys is going to design a router this powerful, why WOULDNT they dedicate each band to its own CPU? they designed it to have a dual core processor to be more powerful, increase throughput, and balance load across threads im assuming, then they just stack everything onto one processor. i dont get it.. kind of like ordering a banana split and just eating the walnuts...

as for the whole openwrt thing. are we allowed to talk about them on this site? and if so, are they having the same issue as dd-wrt users are where the logs get corrupted or something after three days? if you go back a few pages here you will see what im talking about. sorry, i'm not very succint with my words, and i blab a lot. but its there. plus im at work, so im pressed for time here haha.
davidc502
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
CPU affinity is observed in OpenWrt, and not Linksys stock firmware.

Who knows, maybe the stock OS is balancing the cpu's -- unknown to me.

Where the issue of using one CPU is a big problem, is when downloading gigabit speeds through NAT > CPU0 becomes saturated at around 550mbps. It's my understanding since the stock firmware uses hardware acceleration, so this never becomes an issue. It is unknown if OpenSource firmware will ever have hardware acceleration on Eth1.
xsk3l3t0rx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
davidc502 wrote:
CPU affinity is observed in OpenWrt, and not Linksys stock firmware.

Who knows, maybe the stock OS is balancing the cpu's -- unknown to me.

Where the issue of using one CPU is a big problem, is when downloading gigabit speeds through NAT > CPU0 becomes saturated at around 550mbps. It's my understanding since the stock firmware uses hardware acceleration, so this never becomes an issue. It is unknown if OpenSource firmware will ever have hardware acceleration on Eth1.

this is more of a rhetorical question, but what is the point of making a router that is "open source compatible", if you arent going to release all the docs that allow third parties to utilize all the hardware features? if hardware acceleration is enabled in stock FW, and they are releasing full source code, that this feature should by principle be available through open-source means...

of course, this is all wishful thinking. i mean what was i really expecting buying an "open source compatible" router from a major name in networking? did i really expect to get what i paid for from the most expensive consumer-level router on the market? NAHHHH. haha. again, this is not directed towards you, more towards linksys/belkin/marvell not working together to give us something useable to fix their neutered product to a performance point it shouldve been hitting in the first place.
davidc502
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
xsk3l3t0rx wrote:

this is more of a rhetorical question, but what is the point of making a router that is "open source compatible", if you arent going to release all the docs that allow third parties to utilize all the hardware features? if hardware acceleration is enabled in stock FW, and they are releasing full source code, that this feature should by principle be available through open-source means...

Sometimes relationships don't work out the way one expects, and problems like these surface. It might affect future business between Linksys/Belkin and Marvel? Who knows.

The OpenSource community needs to continue to work with both parties to facilitate all the needed fixes. Obvious observation Smile

**Edit** Addition

Keep in mind it is a fallacy to believe that because one has spent 200+ dollars for this router, that everything should work great. I'm a firm believer that money spent does NOT = less problems. In many cases the opposite happens. Right or wrong, that's the lesson I've learned.
xsk3l3t0rx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
davidc502 wrote:
xsk3l3t0rx wrote:

Sometimes relationships don't work out the way one expects, and problems like these surface. It might affect future business between Linksys/Belkin and Marvel? Who knows.

The OpenSource community needs to continue to work with both parties to facilitate all the needed fixes. Obvious observation Smile

**Edit** Addition

Keep in mind it is a fallacy to believe that because one has spent 200+ dollars for this router, that everything should work great. I'm a firm believer that money spent does NOT = less problems. In many cases the opposite happens. Right or wrong, that's the lesson I've learned.

this is how im interpreting this: "i dont know what they want from me, its like the more money we come across, the more problems we see". or something. lol.

i get what youre saying. its unfortunate and yeah i hope that the three companies will work together with OS advocates and get this squared away, because its very bait-and-switchy at this point..
MrDoh
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't want to see "dedicated processors". I want to see a workload that's serviced by both processors. For example, I don't use the 2.4GHz. much at all, so to dedicate a whole processor to that small amount of activity doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather see load balancing across both cores. In other words, dispatch the next job to the least busy core, or whatever sort of scheduling algorithm is going to optimize the workflow. Processor affinity should also be observed, but that doesn't imply dedicated processors, simply that the same processor should be used as last time for the same job if possible to keep from having excessive CPU cache flushing.

Pretty subtle area of OS architecture, I think.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 152, 153, 154  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 42 of 154
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: