Build request for Tp-link TL-WR802N

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
gfx18
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 14:22    Post subject: Serial link to flash Reply with quote
I was just browsing through posts, for help on tl840v2,

But instead landed on this thread.

I couldn't help notice people cannot flash their tp link 802 v1 due to restrictions.

But looking close to the first image posted by Miuw(on this page 5), I can clearly see a serial interface for debugging, all qca soc got this interface. Here on the left side of the pcb there are markings,
TP(testpoint) Tp_in=Tx, Tp_out=Rx, and TP3 which should be ground, as there is another TP3V3(Vcc=3.3volt, test to make sure but NO CONNECTION HERE!!). Also u can switch Tx/Rx if they are wrong(garbled text sent through the serial UART)

U will need a Multimeter and a solder iron to solder some wires to these points. U will also need a cp2102 or similar USB to serial converter($2.xx) to get a serial port from the router. If u get the serial port, u can flash whatever u want including the u-boot bootloader that qca soc for tplink got.

See this thread for further help,
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=310159

Or give me pm, I will try help u.
Sponsor
lilim
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Important ! you TP out can't use because the TP_out was not connect with CPU(you can see (R23 point on the board), After you connect with the CPU, you can use the tp-in.
Miuw wrote:
The tftp thing didn't work.
But i'm not 100% sure that i did it correctly, because i tested on a TPlink wr720N (on openwrt) and it also didn't work.

jdomnitz wrote:

It looks like the Chinese version of this router is actually hardware version 1.1 not 1.0 or 2.0.

indeed, so here comes a teardown of the "TL-WR802N Ver: 1.1"

I see here a qca9533-bl3a
(note that on another teardown they have the qca9533-al3a https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/TP-Link+TL-WR802N+N300+Nano+Router+Teardown/96230)

On the other side:

I see a ESMT M13S2561616A

http://www.esmt.com.tw/english/products_de.asp?CLASS_L1=7&CLASS_L2=56&CLASS_L3=0&CLASS_L4=0
256mb ???

(on the OTHER teardown above, it is a Zentel A3S56D40GTP-50L )

"25q32CSIG", which seem to be a GD25q32c (giga device) (or a "elm tech 25q32c" ???) "32 Mbit (4 MB)"(i am quoting)

I'm not sure of the exact memory size, i guess, it is the 4MB.

(note that on an other teardown it is a "Flash: Winbond W25Q32 (4MB), RAM: 32MB (DDR1)" )
Rocktek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:45    Post subject: Works Thanks. Reply with quote
Just wanted to say thinks to KrypteX for uploading the firmwares and everyone else for the advice in this thread. I've had this up and running for a few days now. Hardware WR802N V2 EU. Upgraded to Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r44715 successfully via webflash.

I wanted to use this as a repeater. I will post some instructions and settings for beginners if they are having problems, since it took some trial and error for me.

These CPUs don't support the proper repeater mode option in DD-WRT. Client or Client Bridge is the way to go. Client Bridge was best for me because I need the device it's connected to, to see other devices on the LAN.

If you want to do the same I recommend a wired connection from the WR802N to the Gateway router and setting DD-WRT up in Client Mode first. Once you have entered all the settings, change the wireless mode to Client Bridge afterwards. Apply and remove ethernet cable. The reason I suggest that is, in Client Bridge mode, nothing would connect to the WR802N while wired to the gateway(stuck on "obtaining IP address"). There were two things causing this though, which is noted in my setup instructions. I wasted a lot of time figuring this out, so I hope it saves someone else the hassle.

I would have liked to have hidden the rest of of this behind a spoiler, for those who need it to click but I don't see the option sorry.

My setup process:

Connect to the default SSID via any wireless device, head to the default IP address and change these settings:

Remember to hit the save button on every tab you alter settings in, before you switch to another. Then apply and reboot at the very end.

Setup>Basic Setup
    Wan Connection Type: Disabled
    Enter Router IP info: I assume most people know what to do here.
    Assign WAN Port to Switch: Check

Apply and switch to the wired connection for the rest of the setup(much quicker on desktop), using whatever Local IP you gave it obviously.

Setup>Basic Setup

DHCP Server: Disable (not DHCP Forwarding)
    Use DNSMasq for DNS: Uncheck
    DHCP-Authoritative: Uncheck

Setup>Advanced Routing

Operating Mode: Router

Wireless>Basic Settings

Wireless Mode: Client
    Wireless Network Mode: NG Mixed (N-Only was the other thing causing an "Obtaining IP address" loop)
    Channel Width and SSID same as gateway router
    Regulatory Domain: United States
    WMM Support: Enable
    Ack Timing: 0 (0 = auto ACK timing mode.)

Click Add Virtual AP
    Wireless Mode: AP
    SSID: YourGatewaySSID_EXT or make a new one
    WMM Support: Enable (important if you want wireless N connect speeds)

Wireless Security: Same settings and key as gateway router, for both interfaces

Services>

Dnsmasq: Disable

Security>

SPI Firewall: Disable
    Filter Multicast: Check

Apply and then reboot.

If everything is working, switch to Client Bridge mode. Then save, apply and reboot. Unplug the ethernet cable from the WR802N and confirm everything is working again.

Last edited by Rocktek on Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:31; edited 8 times in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX should've pushed for a hardware donation instead of hacking a firmware image. This device cannot run current releases because of this and the r33375 upgrade issue. So yet another unofficially supported device that people are going to brick unless they know what they're doing to modify the file(s).
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: