E3000 - TFT transfer successful, but still bricked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
snakjak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:49    Post subject: E3000 - TFT transfer successful, but still bricked Reply with quote
Hello,

I recently updated the dd-wrt firmware on my E3000. After the upgrade completed, I connected to the web interface and changed the password at the prompt, then did a 30-30-30 reset. Since the reset, my router has been partially bricked, by which I mean:
    * Power light is always flashing rapidly
    * Web interface is never accessible
    * Pings are returned (TTL=100) for a brief period after a restart
    * TFT transfers succeed if initiated during the brief period when pings are returned

I have read all the sticky posts in this forum. I have tried various reset voodoo (30-30-30, power cycle + 2.5s + 5s reset, etc), but none change the router behavior.

I would conclude the router is fully bricked and requires a serial connection resurrection, except for the fact that TFT transfers to the device appear to succeed. When I power cycle the router and start a TFT transfer while the device is responding to pings, the command returns: transfer successful: 3544064 bytes in 3 second(s). 118135 bytes/s
However, even after waiting 5-10 minutes, the power light doesn't stop blinking, the device's web interface does not become accessible, and after rebooting, it returns to the same behavior as before.

I have "successfully" flashed with dd-wrt.v24-21061_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e3000.bin and dd-wrt.v24-16785_NEWD2_K2.6_std_usb_nas-e3000.bin, with the same results.

I've search forum posts but have not been able to find other cases where TFT transfers succeed but the device remains inaccessible otherwise. Can anyone advise what this means? Am I just flashing with the wrong binaries, or does this indicate that the flash isn't really succeeding?

Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks!
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Google dd-wrt serial recovery.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Malachi,

I have looked into serial recovery option, and if I understand correctly, it requires hex screwdrivers, soldering, and custom cable-making, none of which I am equipped to do.

Is there anything else I could try, or do the symptoms I described indicate that serial recovery is the only solution left?

Thanks,

snakjak
TeutonJon78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Making a custom cable is pretty easy. Check my signature for step by step on how I made mine. Didn't need much beyond some pretty basic tools. If you can use superglue and a razor blade, you're good to go.

If you don't want to solder header pins, you can just pick up a small breadboard to use.

Previous Stable Builds: 21676/K3.x/mega
Bad Builds: r23838/K3.x (issues with flashing/NVRAM, seems to work once there)

E3000 WAN Serial Cable
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't need to make a cable. Buy this http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-New-USB-2-0-to-TTL-UART-Module-5pin-Serial-Converter-CP2102-STC-5pin-cables-/400524483249

As to the screwdriver, if you have a jewlers straight screwdriver you can get the screw out.
The e3000 doesn't have holes to have to solder pins into. It has pads and you can just solder the wires on there.

Or if you prefer, pm and if you are in the US, I can try to fix it for you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
You don't need to make a cable. Buy this http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-New-USB-2-0-to-TTL-UART-Module-5pin-Serial-Converter-CP2102-STC-5pin-cables-/400524483249

As to the screwdriver, if you have a jewlers straight screwdriver you can get the screw out.
The e3000 doesn't have holes to have to solder pins into. It has pads and you can just solder the wires on there.

Or if you prefer, pm and if you are in the US, I can try to fix it for you.

The cable I was referring to was if you want to use the serial connectors in the WAN port, rather than opening up the device and soldering. It's easier and doesn't require opening up the router or ANY soldering, if don't want to bother.

Previous Stable Builds: 21676/K3.x/mega
Bad Builds: r23838/K3.x (issues with flashing/NVRAM, seems to work once there)

E3000 WAN Serial Cable
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know. Making it seems harder than soldering.

Navigation

Jump to: