Netgear R8000

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:54    Post subject: Re: 26365M - US 5G channels missing Reply with quote
techiesjc wrote:
HalfBit wrote:
techiesjc wrote:
On the latest build the US channels have missing bands on the 5G radios. 36-48 on wl2 and 155-161 on wl0 are all that is available. In HT and VHT modes the channel is only 1 that can be selected. Are the channels gone for a reason?

I don't have an R8000, but wouldn't that be by design so that the two 5G radios don't interfere with each other--being on the same channels? The missing channels would make sense to me if that is in fact the case.

True - however the mid-band is missing from both and that makes those unavailable and that is what I believe is the "missing" set of stations.

Flash Netgear Firmware and tell me which channels are missing:-)
Sponsor
ciscodlink
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:29    Post subject: Re: 26365M - US 5G channels missing Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
techiesjc wrote:
HalfBit wrote:
techiesjc wrote:
On the latest build the US channels have missing bands on the 5G radios. 36-48 on wl2 and 155-161 on wl0 are all that is available. In HT and VHT modes the channel is only 1 that can be selected. Are the channels gone for a reason?

I don't have an R8000, but wouldn't that be by design so that the two 5G radios don't interfere with each other--being on the same channels? The missing channels would make sense to me if that is in fact the case.

True - however the mid-band is missing from both and that makes those unavailable and that is what I believe is the "missing" set of stations.

There are actually quite a few channels missing for wl0 and wl2 compare to stock FW.

Also I tried WDS (for wl1 radio) between R8000 and another Broadcom router...and it works perfectly without any security. But as soon as I enable WPA2 AES, WDS stops working. Also when WDS is enabled the other router gets very very low download speeds but upload speed on the other router is same as what I get when directly connected to R8000 Sad
zebrax0r
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi.

I guess this is the place to ask. A few pages back someone asked about the state of fast-nat in the R8000 compared to dd-wrt behaviour.

I'm wondering what kind of throughput figures people are seeing?

For as long as I can remember, putting dd-wrt onto any of my Broadcom based Linksys devices has dropped my throughput by close to half.

If I do dd-wrt an R8000, I'd like to be able to use all 120Mbit/sec of my downlink.

Am I being impractical/too picky and I'll never actually be able to achieve that without the help of fast-nat (and thus, stock firmware!).

Thanks!

z
alothegreat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 19:12    Post subject: Re: 26365M - US 5G channels missing Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
techiesjc wrote:
HalfBit wrote:
techiesjc wrote:

Before I flash, they are: 36, 40, 44, 48 & 149, 153, 157, 161.
alothegreat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 21:36    Post subject: OpenVPN optimization? Reply with quote
Anyone having any issues or tips for OpenVPN client configs? I'm using PIA (privateinternetaccess.com) with Kong's latest (26th) fw on my r8000.

With the OpenVPN off, I get 100Mbps download (my d/l speed)
once connected via ddwrt- it drops to 25Mbps.

Straight VPN to PIA gives me 100Mbps, so it must be the router, but the dual core 1ghz should be able to handle the encrypt/decrypt, no?

thanks,
navigates1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:05    Post subject: Kong: dd-wrt.K3_R8000.chk Speed Reply with quote
Hi Kong. I just registered to update the thread that I just tried the dd-wrt.K3_R8000.chk firmware on the R8000 and had issues connecting but with a little tinkering around, the wireless speeds dropped significantly. I average at about 880 mbps but with the dd-wrt,
I was getting 140 mbps on all ssid's.
The speed test ranged to about 80mbps when the connection is 300.
I reverted back to Netgear Stock to check the speeds and they went back to the original numbers of about 880 mbps in wireless AC connection and then to 320mbps with wireless speeds.

I've been looking for a decent dd-wrt solution and haven't found a router that can really make the cut. Sad I was hoping getting the best router would help.

Any advise?
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:33    Post subject: Re: Kong: dd-wrt.K3_R8000.chk Speed Reply with quote
navigates1 wrote:
Hi Kong. I just registered to update the thread that I just tried the dd-wrt.K3_R8000.chk firmware on the R8000 and had issues connecting but with a little tinkering around, the wireless speeds dropped significantly. I average at about 880 mbps but with the dd-wrt,
I reverted back to Netgear Stock to check the speeds and they went back to the original numbers of about 880 mbps in wireless AC connection and then to 320mbps with wireless speeds.

I've been looking for a decent dd-wrt solution and haven't found a router that can really make the cut. Sad I was hoping getting the best router would help.

Any advise?

Probably setup error, width etc..

I do 200Mbps when using the R8000 in client mode, with a distance of about 10feet through 30cm metal enforced concrete. Also if you look at the connection speed in dd-wrt webif make sure you do it while running speedtest, if there is no traffic powermanagement reduces connection rate.
navigates1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 16:36    Post subject: Re: Kong: dd-wrt.K3_R8000.chk Speed Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
navigates1 wrote:

Any advise?

I do 200Mbps when using the R8000 in client mode, with a distance of about 10feet through 30cm metal enforced concrete. Also if you look at the connection speed in dd-wrt webif make sure you do it while running speedtest, if there is no traffic powermanagement reduces connection rate.

Kong. Whats your rate when you are absolutely close to the router. Mine is about 750 to 880Mbps with Stock. I've been struggling on finding the one right solution. Yesterday I was looking into buying a ddwrt based router. I essentially want a router that can give out the full speeds with VPN.

I tried it with the Linksys e1200 but those speeds were in the single digits and its on its way back to amazon.

Can I get the full 800 mbps wireless speeds if I go back to ddwrt? I would like to go back to dd because of the VPN
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 22:49    Post subject: Re: Kong: dd-wrt.K3_R8000.chk Speed Reply with quote
navigates1 wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
navigates1 wrote:

Any advise?

Kong. Whats your rate when you are absolutely close to the router. Mine is about 750 to 880Mbps with Stock. I've been struggling on finding the one right solution. Yesterday I was looking into buying a ddwrt based router. I essentially want a router that can give out the full speeds with VPN.

I tried it with the Linksys e1200 but those speeds were in the single digits and its on its way back to amazon.

Can I get the full 800 mbps wireless speeds if I go back to ddwrt? I would like to go back to dd because of the VPN

I just connected the R7000 and R8000 via 5G max connection rate is 1300Mbps and throughput is ~300Mbps, but since I run both iperfs on the router the cpu load might slow em down.
techiesjc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:12    Post subject: Re: 26365M - US 5G channels missing Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
techiesjc wrote:
HalfBit wrote:
techiesjc wrote:

Wow Netgear stock has the same channel limitations. They must be concerned about the mid-band channel being too close with the two radios. I have what I need and throughput looks good for my application. Thanks for all the effort!!!
navigates1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow Thanks Kong. I'll try it out again in that case.
Lucio666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 20:28    Post subject: Re: Kong: dd-wrt.K3_R8000.chk Speed Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
I just connected the R7000 and R8000 via 5G max connection rate is 1300Mbps and throughput is ~300Mbps, but since I run both iperfs on the router the cpu load might slow em down.
is it means that Wireless Bridge could work with 2xR8000? This feature is on last update only?
mdd100
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:37    Post subject: R8000 Reply with quote
I just want to make sure before I set it up that using the OpenVPN server in bridged mode will work. Was the issue only in using the routers as a wireless bridge in a single location?

Also when I set up passwords for the wireless it is asking me for a username and password even though I only selected "WPA 2 Personal"
mdd100
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:47    Post subject: 2 VPNs Reply with quote
Also, I was doing some research, but being that I'm a bit new I had a question about my setup.

I'm running an R8000 at one location and an R7000 at I'm setting up a bridged VPN between them sending all data from the R8000 location to the R7000 location and then out through that connection.

I also would like to set up a service such as Private Internet Access for outbound traffic from the R7000.

Are there any detailed guides on setting this up? I have my keys for OpenVPN between the R8000 and the R7000; however, I was not sure how to set the other one up. I am not using High Traffic programs.
boodog83
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

I flashed my friends R8000 router this weekend with 24650 (if I remember correctly, its the latest) and I believed all was fine. His wireless clients work great. The range is amazing compared to stock FW.

His wireless speed is 50 mbit which is his max connection, however his wired connection will only test to 20-30 he says. Stock fw wired was 50 and wireless would max out at 40.

I had him check if firewall was off and it was. Just wondering if anyone had this problem or has an older build I can have him test see if issue occurs. I asked him do another reset to defaults to make sure.

*Edit* Are the second reset the router works fine on both wired and wireless connections. Thanks for reading
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21, 22, 23  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 14 of 23
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: