RT-AC87U DD-WRT support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
joshx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

Been a big fan of DD-WRT for a long time, and having done some research and seeing that dd-wrt supported this router, decided to pick it up.

Everything worked out of the box perfectly with the 06-24-2016-r30016 firwmware, and wifi worked.

However, with 5ghz I can only get 173 Mb/s, whereas before I was getting 877ish with the stock firmware. Is there anyway to increase this speed?

Thanks!
Sponsor
DOGMA1138
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
joshx wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Been a big fan of DD-WRT for a long time, and having done some research and seeing that dd-wrt supported this router, decided to pick it up.

Everything worked out of the box perfectly with the 06-24-2016-r30016 firwmware, and wifi worked.

However, with 5ghz I can only get 173 Mb/s, whereas before I was getting 877ish with the stock firmware. Is there anyway to increase this speed?

Thanks!

No, there is no AC support for this router so you only have 802.11n speeds.
This has been the case for about forever, I'm pretty much have given up on having AC support for this one while it's still relevant.
PITABoy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
DOGMA1138 wrote:
joshx wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

This has been the case for about forever, I'm pretty much have given up on having AC support for this one while it's still relevant.

AC is working for me, however I have to set it to N/AC mode to get it to work. AC only doesn't work and neither does N only. Also be sure to change the mode to VHT (80MHZ) to get full speeds.
DOGMA1138
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
PITABoy wrote:
DOGMA1138 wrote:
joshx wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

AC is working for me, however I have to set it to N/AC mode to get it to work. AC only doesn't work and neither does N only. Also be sure to change the mode to VHT (80MHZ) to get full speeds.

I tried every configuration a while ago, tried it again today and still nothing.

If I set the clients to AC only the 5G network doesn't show up at all.
You can't really see the 5ghz network same goes for A mode only.
When you set the clients to mix/N they connect to the 5ghz network just fine but like always they all show up on the 2.4ghz radio under the QTN "loopback" and it's maxed at 300mbit.

Can you post screenshots of your wireless status? I never seen QTN goes above 300Mbit on DD-WRT...
PITABoy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are right, it is really flaky, right now I am only getting 173mbps on my 5ghz but if I reset my adapter several times I can sometimes get it up to 867mbps.

dd-wrt.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.42 KB
 Viewed:  12392 Time(s)

dd-wrt.png

jwbaynham
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 23:46    Post subject: Port 4 Red in VLAN Reply with quote
So I'm getting this Red indicator for Port 4 on the Asus RT-87u on the VLAN screen. I've tried a few devices on this port and everything appears to be fine but does anybody know why this is red or how to fix it?

PITABoy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 23:49    Post subject: Re: Port 4 Red in VLAN Reply with quote
jwbaynham wrote:
So I'm getting this Red indicator for Port 4 on the Asus RT-87u on the VLAN screen. I've tried a few devices on this port and everything appears to be fine but does anybody know why this is red or how to fix it?

[img]http://imgur.com/a/RL7Hh[/img]

Do you have a device plugged into it and powered on? They turn red when there is no device detected.
jwbaynham
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you have a device plugged into it and powered on? They turn red when there is no device detected.

Yes I even swapped the devices on 3 and 4 and still port 3 is green and port 4 is red. Communication to both devices seems normal.
PITABoy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwbaynham wrote:
Quote:

Yes I even swapped the devices on 3 and 4 and still port 3 is green and port 4 is red. Communication to both devices seems normal.

I have no idea then and I don't have enough devices to test. Sorry that I couldn't help.
jwbaynham
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I have no idea then and I don't have enough devices to test. Sorry that I couldn't help.

OK I ran a few basic tests. First I unplugged the device in port 4 to see if it would change to green thinking they were reversed - still red.

Then I unplugged all of the other ports one by one to see if they would change from green to red - they did.

Right now my suspicion is that for whatever reason port 4 is stuck on red in the firmware for whatever reason regardless of link status.
PITABoy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwbaynham wrote:
Quote:

OK I ran a few basic tests. First I unplugged the device in port 4 to see if it would change to green thinking they were reversed - still red.

Then I unplugged all of the other ports one by one to see if they would change from green to red - they did.

Right now my suspicion is that for whatever reason port 4 is stuck on red in the firmware for whatever reason regardless of link status.

I was thinking that it was a firmware issue too but it may be a config issue. Have you tried resetting your config to factory defaults?
PITABoy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
On my device it appears that the ports are backwards... Port 1 on the leds/back of the router are correct but the vlans are backwards. Not a big issue but that let me know that port 4 in the vlans is acutally port 1 on the router and if I remember correctly that port is controlled by the Quantenna chipset. Which we all know works but doesn't report correctly in dd-wrt. So in short until all of the Quantenna issues are worked out (which might be never) it will display incorrectly but still function.

Hope that this helps.
jwbaynham
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
On my device it appears that the ports are backwards... Port 1 on the leds/back of the router are correct but the vlans are backwards. Not a big issue but that let me know that port 4 in the vlans is acutally port 1 on the router and if I remember correctly that port is controlled by the Quantenna chipset. Which we all know works but doesn't report correctly in dd-wrt. So in short until all of the Quantenna issues are worked out (which might be never) it will display incorrectly but still function.

Hope that this helps.

Yes you are correct it appears that the VLAN status is numbered backwards from the interface numbers. I tested again with this in mind and experienced the same issues, unfortunately. I did notice something interesting though.

It would appear that there is a bridge being created by default on eth1 (port 4 in VLAN). I'm sure this is used for something obvious but I'm unable to delete it. I wonder if because it's assigned to this bridge the firmware marks it red in the VLAN screen?

Quote:
ult_avatar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 13:56    Post subject: Virtual Device for 5Ghz Reply with quote
So I am on v3.0-r30342 std on a RT-AC87U and I am still testing.

What I cant seem to get correctly done is a Virtual Device (Guest Wifi) for 5Ghz. I can create it and define the encryption and so on, even connect to it.

But there is no wl1.1 device in ifconfig or brctl on the commandline, or in the Networking tab on the GUI.

So I can't create it's own bridge correctly.

This does work perfectly fine for 2,4 Ghz...

any ideas ?
POLO!
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:40    Post subject: Dual Network on ASUS RT-AC87U Reply with quote
Hello DD-WRT pros!

Just ordered an RT-AC87U and gathered all the necessary info needed to flash and set up dd-wrt but still nothing concrete on the possibility to create dual networks - one standard and one VPN.

Ideally, two wi-fi networks with an option to include or exclude LAN ports.

Appreciate any help.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25, 26, 27  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 20 of 27
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: