D-Link DIR-880L

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
neebsk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:45    Post subject: Re: Router stuck in recovery mode cant reflash Reply with quote
Neozen wrote:
neebsk wrote:
I upgraded the router to a new dd wrt firmware and tried to restore my old settings but now there just a orange blinking light. Ive tried to flash the stock firmware using recovery flash @ 192.168.0.1 but now the routers power light just flashes orange and i cant acesss the web page again

Your router is stuck in a boot loop.
The only way to recover now is to open the router, use a USB to Serial TTL cable and access the CFE console to issue a "nvram erase" command.

Read through the last few pages of these thread, instructions and pin outs info are there.

Good luck.

Would this do http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262448073893
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
That will work. It's what I use. May I suggest you buy a couple.
You may like me, carelessly hook up the ground wire to vcc on the router and fry the adapter.
Done it more than once Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

I'm about to attempt to flash dd-wrt to my dir-880l.

I was looking at the installation wiki and it says to refer to the hardware specific instruction (of which there appear to be none for the 880l).

Is anyone able to share the method they use for their 880l?

Also, what build is currently the most stable for the 880l?

Thanks
neebsk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 18:11    Post subject: Weird symbols when using putty Reply with quote
I get this when i use the uart cable ive connected gnd rx and tx and only using the middle 3 wires on my uart device.

Untitled.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  643.6 KB
 Viewed:  14923 Time(s)

Untitled.png

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
You sure putty is setup correctly?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes changed to com3 as per device manager, change speed to 115200 and flow off sometimes i get nothing on putty

Connected rx and tx and they dont echo

Last edited by neebsk on Tue Oct 25, 2016 22:33; edited 1 time in total
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you connect tx and rx on your adapter do your keystrokes echo in putty?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
No they dont
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then something is wrong with your setup. When connecting tx and rx on the serial adapter, any keyboard keystrokes should show up in putty.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 13:47    Post subject: To keep you updated - firmware upgrade Reply with quote
Today I finally decided to flash the DIR-880L with the new release (DD-WRT v3.0-r30796).

However, after having major problems (partly bricked, serial recovery, see previous posts) with releases
newer than 07-30-2016-r30342 I decided to to it a little differently. Before flashing the new release, I
set the router back to factory defaults (web gui) and after that, I flashed the new firmware
selecting "After flashing, reset to Default", just to be on the safe side. Everything went smooth, no
problems. Router is up and running.

It's only painful, to have to reconfigure the router entirely after the upgrade...
neebsk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
So i updated drivers ive goten putty to send keystrokes in, but i cant get putty to access the router and into cfe state. Could someone briefly explain what to do to because i think ive done everything right but its not working.
ikeelu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had 2 attempts at flashing r30342 to my dir880l

both times I had an issue with logging in to the web interface. It would randomly not accept my username and password that I set (which was just the default root admin anyway).

Initially it would work but then after changing some settings it would grant access half the time I tried and then eventually not at all.

During the whole ordeal the internet and wifi connections were still active and I was able to use the network.

Ive reverted to stock firmware now though i've seen here that 30342 is seen to be a stable build from what I can gather.

Did anyone have a similar experience?

Are there any earlier builds that are particularly stable?

Cheers
ReinerS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:11    Post subject: Re: To keep you updated - firmware upgrade Reply with quote
ReinerS wrote:
Today I finally decided to flash the DIR-880L with the new release(DD-WRT v3.0-r30796).
Everything went smooth, no
problems. Router is up and running.

Unfortunately, on the weekend I tried to flash to the newest build and got the same
behaviour as with previous updates! Router could only be recovered by using a serial
connection....

Tried everything (see http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=305240) and finally
went back to r30342 std (07/30/16).
dinguz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
This sounds related to the error we are seeing on the DIR-868L:

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/5518

After a certain release, all version have bootloop issues and/or the device is stuck in firmware recovery mode. See this thread for more info:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=172121&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=405

I certainly hope one of the developers would take a look at it.
dawydh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 22:58    Post subject: Re: Weird symbols when using putty Reply with quote
Hi,

You have to cross the rx and tx cable. For example: Rx on the computer is TX on the router and RX on the router is TX on the computer.

I recovered my router only with RX, TX and GND

when you get the CFE prompt, only you have to put this command "nvram erase"

Regards

David

neebsk wrote:
I get this when i use the uart cable ive connected gnd rx and tx and only using the middle 3 wires on my uart device.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 24, 25, 26  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 11 of 26
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: