Asus Rt N12 D1 - SOLUTION

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
shermandtank
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
i've set up pptp on my fileserver in the past under debian. but currently i'm using pptp with samba support on my router, although i need to figure some other way. been having issues with mapping a network drive from my home vpn on my windows 7 work computer. but that's a different tale most likely Smile i haven't tried openvpn as far as i remember though.
Sponsor
80sguitartist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
shermandtank,

If I understand you correctly, you want a PPTP Server running on DD-WRT. Right? If that's the case, testing it now and will know how well it works this afternoon.

Note: Right now I can confirm within my own LAN it works but that of course is a crappy test. I need to get outside of my LAN. Will be doing that later.
80sguitartist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Almost forgot to update on a few things:

Last weekend I was out of town at the in-laws and brought the RT-N12D1 to play around with. It just so happened that while I was there a router I set up for them a couple of years ago died. Guess to many folks in over the weekend connecting to it killed the ole girl. Since I had the RT-N12D1 with DD-WRT I threw it in there. However, after getting everything setup I had about 25% dropped pings. NOT GOOD. Reset the firmware and did all the magic I could and the only thing that fixed the dropped ping problem was restoring the original Asus Firmware. The unit worked perfectly after that.

Since I still have two of these RT-N12D1’s laying around my office I simply installed DD-WRT on another one and restored a backup from the in-laws "ping dropping" router. (Yeah, I made sure I backed it up as I really wanted to test this stuff). Of course it works fine on my cable modem with 0 dropped pings and a great connection. Go figure. It “could” be a faulty router but why would the Asus firmware work perfectly?

This little test alarms me as if anyone else finds this thread they could have issues with their ISP not working with the RT-N12D1 running DD-WRT. Maybe my cable provider/modem is different so it just happens to work. Hope to throw in another one of these D1’s in the in-laws house and test again but it will probably be a month or two.
80sguitartist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep, PPTP VPN does work outside my LAN. So I can confirm when setting up PPTP VPN on the Asus RT-N12 D1 it does in fact work.

Note: I was able to connect to it from a hotspot as well as another network. However, I did have trouble on one other network connecting where I would get a 619 error. Not sure what that was all about. But I'm at a different location now and typing this up at another location and I'm connected and can access the router via web GUI.
shermandtank
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
schweet Very Happy what firmware update is the original asus firmware at before you start flashing? i haven't updated it since i got it (ya i know, dangerous) but i wanted to keep it there incase i had to flash from there. i'm using version: 3.0.0.4.374_168
agio26
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
80sguitartist wrote:
I don’t have any experience with EOIP. I have just a little research under my belt on it which tells me it is not secure due to no encryption across the line (unless of course you have some type of VPN behind it). So on EOIP you’d have to explore this stuff yourself. I can’t help you out there.

I managed to install this firmware http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K26/dd-wrt.v24-K26_RT-N12B1.trx, but with very big headaches.
After installation no longer receiving any ping, in any port.Am did a 30-30-30 reset, but in vain. I thought i brick the router. I finally said to try start the router whit WPS button press instead of reset, immediately started to operate and respond to ping.At this time, wireless, EoIP, DHCP works and tested
P.S. I forgot to mention, the firmware was loaded with tftp client and the version is "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/26/14) kong - build 25735M"

Last edited by agio26 on Sun Jan 18, 2015 18:47; edited 2 times in total
80sguitartist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
So agio26,

I want to make sure I understand you perfectly. You state:

1. You have an Asus RT-N12 D1
2. You were running dd-wrt.v24-K26_RT-N12B1
3. You upgraded via tftp.exe to DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/26/14) kong - build 25735M
4. You NEVER had to reconfigure the ports
5. Everything works fine

Are all 5 conditions above true?

-----------------------------------------

shermandtank, the original Asus firmware I started with was FW_RT_N12_D1_3004374813.trx. Not sure if my original directions would work since you are on a different version. However, you could try them and if you brick the router using your existing firmware you could just follow my unbricking instructions. Of course, before you started any of this I would head here http://www.craigonsite.com/blog/2014/12/21/how-to-install-dd-wrt-on-the-asus-rt-n12-d1, print out the instructions and make sure you download the zip file in those instructions. Otherwise, it could be a real pain.
agio26
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
80sguitartist wrote:
So agio26,

I want to make sure I understand you perfectly. You state:

1. You have an Asus RT-N12 D1
2. You were running dd-wrt.v24-K26_RT-N12B1
3. You upgraded via tftp.exe to DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/26/14) kong - build 25735M
4. You NEVER had to reconfigure the ports
5. Everything works fine

Are all 5 conditions above true?

Yes all 4 conditions above true.
5th condition is partial, I tested just what I needed

I forgot to mention that before all, i installed the original fimware FW_RT_N12_D1_3004374813.trx

Capture.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.26 KB
 Viewed:  27614 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

80sguitartist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hate to be "that guy" but can you give me a direct link to the firmware you loaded.

Loved the scribble marks.....MSpaint I assume....Paint and Notepad baby! Two of the simplest and most useful programs ever created.
agio26
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
80sguitartist wrote:
Hate to be "that guy" but can you give me a direct link to the firmware you loaded.

Loved the scribble marks.....MSpaint I assume....Paint and Notepad baby! Two of the simplest and most useful programs ever created.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I did not use MSPaint, I used Snipping Tool Razz .

agio26 wrote:

I managed to install this firmware http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K26/dd-wrt.v24-K26_RT-N12B1.trx, but with very big headaches.
After installation no longer receiving any ping, in any port.Am did a 30-30-30 reset, but in vain. I thought i brick the router. I finally said to try start the router whit WPS button press instead of reset, immediately started to operate and respond to ping.In this time, wireless, EoIP, DHCP works and tested
P.S. I forgot to mention, the firmware was loaded with tftp client and the version is "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/26/14) kong - build 25735M"

The link is at the top
80sguitartist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry agio26, I thought that link was to the first version of firmware you tried that was not Kong's. So this link : http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K26/dd-wrt.v24-K26_RT-N12B1.trx is Kongs's build? The one you showed with the screenshot?

If you've been around here long enough you know it's pretty frustrating trying to look, find, and assume you got the right firmware.

Thanks! Look forward to testing this.
agio26
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
80sguitartist wrote:
Sorry agio26, I thought that link was to the first version of firmware you tried that was not Kong's. So this link : http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K26/dd-wrt.v24-K26_RT-N12B1.trx is Kongs's build? The one you showed with the screenshot?

Yes it is the one with the screenshot?

I did a test with a video on youtube, go smoothly, i copied data over the tunnel and since i used a wireless laptop, the transfer was made at 5mb / s. Super ok i say ...
80sguitartist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
So agio26,

I read what you said you had done so I tried the same thing, fully expecting it NOT to work. What do you know? It worked, kind of. I used the same Kong build and used the tftp.exe app to upload it. Same with you I had an issue getting it to boot back up and pressing the WPS button while holding the power button down did get it to respond to pings and come up. My first thought was, "Wow! I can't believe that worked". So I was really hoping to see that the WAN port issue of the Port 4 and the WAN port being mixed up would also be fixed with this Kong version. I found that it was NOT. The ports are still mixed up and you have to change them around like in my original instructions. Port 4 thinks it's the WAN port.

I bet if you did an nvram erase via telnet on that unit those ports would be mixed up just like mine. (Of course you'd loose all your settings. Probably better back those up first.) At any time, did you ever telnet into the router via my original instructions and re-arrange those ports? Before or after all of your attempts to get the firmware on there?

I remember a few years ago having an RT-N12C1 that I managed to get DD-WRT on and "thought" it worked great. However, when I finally installed that unit for a client I could not get Internet working correctly. I tried all sorts of things and thought it was a problem with the cable ISP. I even contacted them. I reverted back to the Asus firmware and everything worked. Now I know EXACTLY what the problem was, those ports on the C1 were mixed up. In contrast, I also installed an RT-N12C1 at another client who had a DSL circuit. That unit "seemed" to work but the client would have random Internet losses every now and then. Eventually replaced that router along with the DSL modem thinking it was probably the modem. Nope, bet those ports somehow worked and were able to pass NAT through. Wonder if that's what you have going on.

If you are absolutely sure you did NOT rearrange the ports at any time, try this test: Plug a computer into LAN port 4 and see if you pull an IP address. Make sure you do an ipconfig release and renew so you're not hanging onto an old DHCP lease if you quickly move a device over to that port. I'd bet you won't get an IP. And keep in mind, it may break your Internet...until you re-arrange those ports.

Not saying you're completely wrong but I've thoroughly tested three of the RT-N12 D1s. Two are refurbs accidentally sent to me from NewEgg when they should have been B1s and one of them was brand new. ALL have the same exact results with the port mix-ups.
Edwin501
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just want to let you guys know that I've tried Agio26 fix and It also worked for me.

All ports and wifi are working fine.

Of course I'll be testing it this coming week to see if it stays intact.

Many thanks to both of you for this workaround!
agio26
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
80sguitartist wrote:
So I was really hoping to see that the WAN port issue of the Port 4 and the WAN port being mixed up would also be fixed with this Kong version. I found that it was NOT. The ports are still mixed up and you have to change them around like in my original instructions. Port 4 thinks it's the WAN port.

On this router did not use any telnet or ssh to launch nvram command. WAN port remained the same. LEDs correspond to each port i use. Tomorrow i will try to see if there is a problem with DHCP on the wire port, because there is no problem one wireless with DHCP.

Again, i did not use any NVRAM command on this router to change the ports mapping, i know that this behavior must be very confusing for you.

After firmware installation, i only setting up my internet connection, which is PPPoE, and after that i put internal cable in the router and internet work on my laptop, from this i deduced that DHCP is running.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: