Asus Rt N12 D1 - SOLUTION

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
marcogpg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also have a RT-N12 D1 and i would like to put it working with DD-WRT.

If you can put some instructions i will be appreciated.
Sponsor
MUNGO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
That would be great if you could do that. I have the D1 version of this router also & would like to get DD-WRT running on it. I have read that the B version of the firmware works on the D version, but I have not tried it out so can not personally confirm.
80sguitartist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm glad folks are still interested. I've got my Asus RT-N12 D1 online with DD-WRT. I'm going to be doing some testing this weekend and hope to have my instructions sometime Sunday and possibly Monday up in this thread. As luck would have it I'll be streaming an ESPN game over to my Roku today and this is just another thing I'll be able to test.

One thing I noticed first when switching out my original Buffalo router with the RT-N12 D1 is that everything sure seems a lot peppier. The Buffalo one is actually a much beefier Atheros unit with a lot more NVRAM. On the Asus Rt-N12 D1 DD-WRT pulls up faster as well as Internet pages....it could just all be in my head too. Nevertheless, I'm going to start some thorough testing and make sure that it does work like I want. Check back later.
MUNGO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cool keep us updated. Thanks for doing this. Smile
80sguitartist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
As the heading states I have confirmed that DD-WRT can be loaded onto the Asus RT-N12 D1 and it does work. It does appear to be stable when using Build 18774 mini (dd-wrt.v24-18774_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini). When I say “works” I will list later what I have confirmed is working.

Originally when getting DD-WRT on this router I bricked it a few times. When I finally “thought” I had the process scaled down to a few easy steps it wouldn’t load and I bricked the router again (I actually bricked three separate RT-N12 D1s). Then I realized I had to go through all the crazy steps as I had the first time to get it right. Yes, what you are going to do will be a pain in the ass but I have confirmed from three separate RT-N12 D1 routers this does work. If you try and take a shortcut, good luck to you because this is the only way I could consistently load DD-WRT. If you did try to take a shortcut and bricked your router, head down to the Unbricking Your Asus Rt-N12 D1 towards the bottom of this post.

How to load DD-WRT on the Asus RT-N12 D1

The tools you are going to need are listed below:

- Asus Firmware: Version 3.0.0.4.374.813
- These versions of DD-WRT firmware:
-- dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12.trx
-- dd-wrt.v24-18774_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin
- The Asus “Firmware Restoration” program.

All of these tools can be found in a ZIP file on my website. Download and then extract these files from here: www.craigonsite.com/s/Asus_RT-N12D1_DD-WRT.zip

Once you have the files downloaded you should be ready to go through these instructions for loading DD-WRT on the Asus RT-N12 D1. I can’t stress enough, this seems stupid to do it the way I have listed below BUT it’s the only way I can successfully and consistently load the firmware.

These steps below are for installing DD-WRT on a brand new Asus Rt-N12 D1 with the stock Asus firmware already on there. (If you have bricked your router, you need to first head down to Unbricking Your Asus Rt-N12 D1 which is further down this post otherwise, these instructions won’t work.

1. Setup your computer’s NIC to a static address. I suggest using 192.168.1.2

2. Plug your computer into the LAN port marked as “1” on the back of the router. It is VERY important you do NOT plug your computer into LAN Port 4. Make sure it’s in LAN port “1” on the back of the router.

3. Using only Internet Explorer (do not use Chrome, Firefox, or any other browser) go to the following address of the Asus firmware:

http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp

When prompted enter the username and password. The default for both is “admin”.

This will bring you into the Asus stock firmware where we can upload a TRX file for DD-WRT.

4. On this page Browse to the firmware you downloaded: dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12.trx then click on Upload.

5. After clicking Upload you’ll have to wait for the firmware to upload. The router will reboot a few times. That’s fine. Just wait, you’ll see the progress bar move. The router will go into a reboot cycle where it reboots over and over. Believe it or not, that’s actually a good thing.

6. Once it looks like the router starts the endless boot cycle where it powers up, all lights come on, then go off, etc, etc, turn the router off by pressing the power button OR unplugging it.

7. Now we need to install the Asus Firmware Restoration program (It’s the file you downloaded earlier called Rescue.exe). It’s the standard Next, Next, I accept, Finish type of install. At the end of the installation you will be given the choice to Launch the application. Go ahead and do so.

8. When the application launches, you need to browse to the location where you have your DD-WRT 18774 mini firmware (remember, that’s what you should have already downloaded). Do NOT hit the Upload button yet. We are just trying to get everything ready.

9. Grab a paper clip or something sharp and push and hold the reset button on the back of the router. The router should be powered off or unplugged while doing this.

10. Plug the power cord in or power the router back up and with the paper clip still in the reset button. We need to wait for the power light on the router to flash very slowly. It takes about 15-20 seconds before it starts to flash. It flashes in 5 second intervals, 5 seconds on, 5 seconds off

11. After it starts to slowly flash, take the paper clip out of the reset button

12. Hit the Upload button on the Asus Firmware Restoration application that you got ready.

13. Wait. You will eventually see the application connect to the router and upload the firmware. And then start waiting some more.

14. The router should automatically reboot on its own. Wait 2 more minutes and then try to connect to the router via 192.168.1.1. If you are brought to the DD-WRT login to change the password, Congratulations, you got DD-WRT on there.

15. You should now be able to pull an IP in the 192.168.1.X subnet and now access the DD-WRT interface. However, keep reading this post because you’re not done yet.

Now the great part is you got DD-WRT on there! Now for the not-so-great part, the WAN port is screwed up on the back. I’ll explain. Typically when looking at the back of the router (or any router for that matter) you will usually see 4 LAN ports and a WAN port (sometimes it’s marked as Internet). When DD-WRT is loaded the ports are mixed up. In actuality the WAN port is a LAN port. And more importantly, LAN 4 is the WAN port. Why is this? It’s probably because the Asus RT-N12 D1 is not officially supported by the DD-WRT development team. If it were supported I suspect the developers of DD-WRT would fix this and make a version for it. No biggie though as we’ll change it a little later. Confused yet? Don’t worry as these instructions below will help get all the ports straightened out so that the WAN port labeled on the back of the router is REALLY the WAN port you’ll plug your modem into.

How to reconfigure the Ports on the back of the router

First and foremost you need to have some type of a telnet client on your computer. If using Windows 7 there is a good change telnet client is not installed. To do that, simply follow the instructions in this link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771275%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

1. Plug your computer into LAN port marked as “1” on the back of the router.

2. Open a Command Prompt (In Windows 7, Start-->type cmd in Search box-->Hit Enter key.

3. Type telnet 192.168.1.1 then hit the Enter key

4. When prompted enter in the username and password of DD-WRT (Remember the DD-WRT defaults are “root” for the login and “admin” as the password.)

5. You will be brought into the DD-WRT telnet interface.

type the following nvram set vlan0ports=”0 1 2 3 5*” then hit the Enter key
type the following nvram set vlan1ports=”4 5” then hit the Enter key
type the following nvram commit then hit the Enter key
type the following reboot then hit the Enter key

6. The unit will reboot and after it comes back up you can plug your Modem into the WAN port and it will work like you would expect it to.

Now, for some more not-so-good news. If you ever reset the router’s firmware to default via Administration-->Factory Defaults-->Restore Factory Defaults OR via telnet and performing an erase nvram command you will have to reconfigure the ports on the back of the router again as they will revert back to the original firmware defaults where the WAN and LAN 4 port on the back of the router are mixed up.

I can confirm the following is working as of 11/2/2014 with the Asus RT-N12 D1 running DD-WRT 18774 mini firmware:

- firmware loads successfully
- the Router can pull an IP address from the modem or router attached to it via the WAN port.
- Wireless does work. I have confirmed that Wireless on Channel 9 with WPA2/AES encryption does work
- Port Forwarding works for various applications like RDP, common DVR applications, and other various apps.
- Setting up “Static IP” leases through the Services-->Services tab works.

I am currently trying to get these other items listed below working but have not yet had any luck:

- I have NOT confirmed that you can set the device up with Multiple SSIDs whereas one is for the Private LAN and other would broadcast a “Guest” SSID where users can connect to it and access the Internet only and get to nothing on the “Private LAN” (providing you put the proper commands in place under the Administration tab).
- I have NOT confirmed that the VPN Server functionality works - Setting up a PPTP VPN connection.

Unbricking Your Asus Rt-N12 D1

Alright, if you’re anything like me you’ve somehow bricked the router (probability through multiple attempts or trying to get DD-WRT on there). We need to get the Stock Asus firmware back on there so we can load up DD-WRT.

Tools you are going to need:

- Asus Firmware: Version 3.0.0.4.374.813
- The Asus “Firmware Restoration” program.

Again, these tools can be found in a ZIP file on my website. Download and then extract these files from here: www.craigonsite.com/s/Asus_RT-N12D1_DD-WRT.zip

1. Setup your computer’s NIC to a static address. I suggest using 192.168.1.2

2. Plug your computer into the LAN port marked as “1” on the back of the router. It is VERY important you do NOT plug your computer into LAN Port 4. Make sure it’s in LAN port “1” on the back of the router.

3. Make sure you unplug the power cord on the back of the router.

4. Install the Asus Firmware Restoration program (It’s the file you downloaded earlier called Rescue.exe). It’s the standard Next, Next, I accept, Finish type of install. At the end of the installation you will be given the choice to Launch the application. Go ahead and do so.

5. When the application launches, you need to browse to the location where you have the stock Asus Firmware (FW_RT_N12_D1_3004374813) you should have already downloaded. Do NOT hit the Upload button yet. We are just trying to get everything ready.

6. Grab a paper clip or something sharp and push and hold the reset button on the back of the router. The router should be powered off or unplugged while doing this.

7. Plug the power cord in or power the router back up and with the paper clip still in the reset button we need to wait for the power light on the router to flash very slowly. It takes about 15-20 seconds before it starts to flash. It flashes in 5 second intervals, 5 seconds on, 5 seconds off)

8. After it starts to slowly flash, take the paper clip out of the reset button

9. Hit the Upload button on the Firmware Restoration application.

10. Wait. You will eventually see the application connect to the router and upload the firmware. And then start waiting some more.

11. The router should automatically reboot on its own. It actually could do this a couple of times. Wait at least 2 minutes before proceeding.

12. Once you have waited 2 minutes, manually power the unit off for 10 seconds and then turn it back on. The router may reboot a couple more times. Wait 2 more minutes

13. Now, the unit won’t work and you probably only see a LAN light and the Power Light. We need to do a 30-30-30 reset for this particular router. This is not easy and I’d suggest reading these steps and then performing them:

For everything that you will be doing the WPS button and the reset button will be pressed for the whole time.
- The router needs to be powered on.
- Press the WPS button and hold it, don’t let go of it.
- Take the paper clip and hold down the reset button, don’t let go of it
- Count to 30.
- With a free finger, hit the power button on the router. (Keep in mind you still need to have the WPS button and the reset button still pressed down).
- Count to 30 while the router is powered off.
- Press the power button to turn it back on.
- Count to 30.
- Let go of the WPS button and the Reset button.
- Wait, you will see the router reboot again and if you have done it right you will see the Power light, Wireless light, and the Lan 1 light all lit up.

14. Using only Internet Explorer (do not use Chrome, Firefox, or any other browser) go to the following IP address of the Asus firmware
http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp

If you are prompted to enter the username and password you unbricked the router. Congratulations! Now head back to Step 3 of How to load DD-WRT on the Asus RT-N12 D1

Last edited by 80sguitartist on Fri Dec 19, 2014 14:00; edited 1 time in total
MUNGO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Awesome! Thank for posting very detailed instructions & also how to unbrick if needed. Works great & perfectly as described on the 1st try. Thank you so much for doing this. Very Happy

Some suggestions, observations, notes, & quesions:

- Remind the user to set the NIC static IP of 192.168.1.2 back to DHCP or whatever IP they were using before they changed it.

- In "How to reconfigure the Ports on the back of the router" section step 4, note that the telnet login ID is always "root" & not whatever you changed the ID to for the web interface. The password however would be whatever you changed it to when you initially logged into the web interface

- Have you tried using the ASUS Firmware Restoration tool to flash directly to dd-wrt.v24-18774_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin? My understanding is that that utility is suppose to completely overwrite the firmware so I would think that the initial step to flash to dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12.trx may be unnecessary. Again you may have already tried this various times while figuring out how to get DD-WRT to work successfully but if not might be something to try if it will save people a few steps.

- Noticed that on the Router Information screen it shows the Router Model as "Asus RT-N12B" instead of "Asus RT-N12D".

- Noticed that the wifi LED is only active for a little while after a router reboot & then becomes not active & turns off although wifi works great.

- Noticed that Uptime, TX Rate, & RX Rate for the Wireless Clients all show "N/A".

- Just wondering why we have to flash the mini version of the firmware? This router has 8MB of flash correct?
80sguitartist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks MUNGO for letting me know the instructions worked for you. As to your questions:

Quote:
Have you tried using the ASUS Firmware Restoration tool to flash directly to dd-wrt.v24-18774_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin?

You're damn right I tried. I did this over 5 times each time the router bricked and was totally unresponsive. I did my best to cut out as many steps as possible with several variations and then one I posted is the ONLY one I could get consistently working. I suppose this is one of the reasons the development team has never got this router "supported". Cause it's a pain in the ass to get the firmware on there.

Quote:
Noticed that on the Router Information screen it shows the Router Model as "Asus RT-N12B" instead of "Asus RT-N12D".

I did not notice but is doesn't matter too much to me.

Quote:
Noticed that the wifi LED is only active for a little while after a router reboot & then becomes not active & turns off although wifi works great.

I have sort of noticed this as well but wireless DOES work. Reason, I had several people over to my place to watch a big game on ESPN that I could only get over my ROKU. It worked for over 6 hours....the whole time with no issues.

Quote:
Noticed that Uptime, TX Rate, & RX Rate for the Wireless Clients all show "N/A".

I rarely if ever mess with these because 9 times out of 10 they make ZERO difference. There is a lot of talk on the forums and elsewhere why it's irrelevant to change those settings.

Quote:
Just wondering why we have to flash the mini version of the firmware? This router has 8MB of flash correct?

I am looking at trying some other builds to see how they go. One of the big things I want to get working are VLANs and Seperate Multiple SSIDs. I have only tried to setup the SSIDs but so far, it's not working on the "Guest" SSID. Hope to fiddle with that more sometime this week.
shermandtank
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
i also would like to see a guest ssid working. i haven't played with that on my unflashed router yet so it would be interesting. i would very much like to get vpn working on the router. if not then i can set up my file server to run an extra task. would just want to not have to do that incase my server goes down.
MUNGO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Found another issue.

- Unable to set DHCP Client Lease time to another value other than 5760 minutes. Once you click Apply Settings the value will default back to 5760 minutes. Not a big deal but just reporting it.
80sguitartist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Certainly don't want to be the buzz kill here but things are looking more and more dismal for our Rt-N12 D1's. I haven't had as much time as I would like testing different things with different firmwares. Biggest reason, any time I try to upgrade firmware from the DD-WRT interface the router bricks. So I have to start the whole unbricking process again.

Hoping to have some more time on this later in the week but right now I'm working on some other client needs like blocking the TR.Poweliks trojan off networks and some VPN tunneling.
MUNGO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
80sguitartist, appreciate any efforts you are able to put into this project. It's too bad that this router is really a pain to flash working firmware onto it.
YaddaMinski
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
MUNGO wrote:
80sguitartist, appreciate any efforts you are able to put into this project. It's too bad that this router is really a pain to flash working firmware onto it.

Did you read the Install Wiki article? Do a 30/30/30 Reset before and after initially loading DDWRT.
beardfiercely
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't understand why the n12/d1 is listed on Asus' website as compatible with dd-wrt. Am I missing something?
http://www.asus.com/us/site/routers/DD-WRT/
MUNGO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
beardfiercely wrote:
I don't understand why the n12/d1 is listed on Asus' website as compatible with dd-wrt. Am I missing something?
http://www.asus.com/us/site/routers/DD-WRT/

Ya, makes you wonder. It would be nice if they actually linked to a working firmware.
80sguitartist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just posting to let you guys know, I have not forgotten about this (as I stare at the three RT-N12D1's across my office). Just been real busy with other stuff.

I know this may not please some but it looks like Shibby (Tomato) "may" be a better option for the D1. If I had more time I'd give it a go.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: