Asus Rt N12 D1 - SOLUTION

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
jimmy88
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
As you mentioned earlier, you may have to try telnet or ssh if you can.

The following commands will clear the nvram from telnet

erase nvram
reboot

Just an fyi I'm currently running dd-wrt.v24-33607_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin with no problems.
Sponsor
Sewie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 13:20    Post subject: Clearing nvram Reply with quote
Good day and thank you for your reply.

I agree. I looked at the thread for the initial transition from 2.6 to 3, which the following versions were needed to transition over:

- 21605 (would initialize only 32K nvram I think?)
- 21676 (I believe expanded beyond regular size)

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1002036#1002036

I would think 21605 would then be able to start after a regular clear but no luck there either clearing that.

There may be a really really old version of K3 that may start if it used, who knows.

If I was to try to clear nvram over SSH or Telnet with that particular version, the router would first have to respond, which I am not sure if DD-WRT has a similar command line recovery mode like OpenWRT does.

Louis
Sewie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 17:33    Post subject: Finally got K3 back in! Reply with quote
Finally!

I reloaded 2.6, and used Telnet to clear both mtd4 and mtd3.

This time, the firmware reload took much longer, I think because mtd4 was cleared.

Thanks for all your assistance!!
kulurus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
when I try to flash my RT-N12 I'm getting "setting have been updated. web page will not refresh......" after 30mins still the same. I try to refresh still the same. Any help? Also, during the flash the upload is normal, but "auto system recovery is in progress" only up to 4% and then finish waiting for restart the router. Look like that is not normal
kulurus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I using the mega verison I'm able flash but all ports not working, but wifi working; try to reflash still the same, but something weird it mark my router Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS; not RT-N12

kulurus wrote:
when I try to flash my RT-N12 I'm getting
"setting have been updated. web page will not refresh......" after 30mins still the same. I try to refresh still the same. Any help? Also, during the flash the upload is normal, but "auto system recovery is in progress" only up to 4% and then finish waiting for restart the router. Look like that is not normal
backroger
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'am curious...is this same as RT-N12HP? or just RT-N12?

I got a asus router RT-N12HP witn default firware and I wonder if put on DDWRT in it.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
backroger wrote:
The B1/C1/D1 have the same specs as the HP, and there have been a few posts about using DD on the latter, one used B1 f/w & another used C1:
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279406
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=261415
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=162718

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Sewie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 17:05    Post subject: Asus N12 B1 WRT54G deletection Reply with quote
Good day,

If at any point you are not able log in after the upgrade, I would suggest going back to a non-KONG release (not Linux Kernel 3.x, but instead 2.x) for that router, go in via SSH/Telnet and clear mtd3 and mtd4 partitions as per below.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/asus/rt-n12d1

I ran into the same issue as you with the WRT54 detection on one router. I may not have followed the load procedure properly (says to use an older 3.x KONG Build) first, load defaults then proceed to a newer version then the newest. The NVRAM gets initialized at 64K or maybe 128K I think on the older ones then on newer to 256K. There could be bad data beyond 64K so by clearing the JIFFs partition I was able to get the router to actually start up after loading a bad config from a 2.x release into 3.x (never do).

Louis
backroger
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
backroger wrote:
The B1/C1/D1 have the same specs as the HP, and there have been a few posts about using DD on the latter, one used B1 f/w & another used C1:
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279406
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=261415
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=162718

Thanks jwh7...

I was able to flash the Asus "RT-N12HP" to the following procedure

1st foremost Identify your "Asus RT-N12HP" by logging on asus firmware...it will say what is revision on the logging of Asus. Mine is "RT-N12HP_B1"

Download "dd-wrt.v24-18774_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12B1.trx" or B1 only. Set the router on the default settings.

1. Set your laptop or computer to static IP to 192.168.1.XXX other than 192.168.1.1

2. Hold the reset switch with paperclip or ball-pen then power on. Wait for the routerts long blink on / off on power (interval of 5 sec). You can now release the reset button and don't power off the router.

3. The router is on rescue mode or CFE Web Utility. Navigated to 192.168.1.1

4. Upload the ddwrt firmware to the link on CFE Web GUI utility of asus.

5. After the upload, it will display the following:

"Receive file size=346960"

"Upload completed. System is going to reboot. Please wait a few moments.."

6. Don't do anything...Look at your router. 1st, it should flash all the lights and then the power will lit. Wait for another minute, it will soon reboot automatically. The 2nd time, it should flash all the light then the power will lit. Don't reset or power down yet.

7. In your wireless, looked for dd-wrt in SSID's to confirm install.

8. Press the WPS button then press power off then wait for 3 sec then power on again while holding the WPS it lit again all the lights. After 10 sec., release the WPS.

9. Power down your router then wait for 5 sec. Power on the router. Wait 20 seconds the navigated to 192.168.1.1

10. Reconfigure your Router or download again to the latest firmware ddwrt K2.6 N12B1.

I hope this helps..

BTW...whats the stable build for these K2.6 N12...normal use nothing fancy...
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 20:25    Post subject: Flash from Tomato F/W? Reply with quote
I have one of these units, but it currently has Tomato v1.28 'Shibby' F/W installed from 2 1/2 years ago.

Is there any, somewhat easy way to install dd-wrt w/o jumping thru hoops (multiple, complicated, root access steps)?? Question
ddwrtasus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
yzaretskiy wrote:
mrjcd, anyway thanks for support.

I will stop to torture it and it will live with dd-wrt.v24-33345_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12.trx.

No no --- done got my brain confused -- got to figure it now!!!
... too many changes with dd-wrt to just install on an unsupported router and make some minor adjustments.

Last resort --- I looked at my old notes. I think most this is in this thread
somewheres but back when K3x builds on the RTN12D1 were not good at all.

This worked perfectly on my second RTN12D1. Now both are happy with K3.x 33215 -

I started with ASUS firmware on the RTN12D1 and used reset to defaults with its GUI.
Should have static IP on computer (192.168.1.7). Disable computer WiFi if you have it.
Plug in network cable to port 2 or 3 ... not 1 or 4. Have only computer & RTN12D1 connected.

Put it into recovery mode by using paperclip holding in the 'reset button'(next to power button) at power up (takes 'bout 17 seconds).
Power light should be flashing very slowly.
TFTP this file >>> ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/01-20-2015-r25974/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-25974_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin
Use a TFTP client .... NOT the built in Broadcom CFE mess.
After 25974_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin is completely sent wait at lease 3 full minutes.
Power off using power button. Wait 13 seconds.
Power on while holding in the WPS button (next to the WAN). Continue holding WPS button for 7 seconds.
Should be able to access router at 192.168.1.1 when fully booted.
Go to firmware upgrade page and install the dd-wrt.v24-25974_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin (yes, the same file we will install again using the GUI)
After fully boots all ports should be working normally.
Go to firmware upgrade page and install >> ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/08-25-2017-r33215/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-33215_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin

Ok all should work.
After the K3X 33215 is installed you should be able to setup however suits you.
The 'Reset' button does work just fine -- takes holding it in about 20 seconds and will reset to dd-wrt defaults if you need it.
I haven't done it but I would NOT advise doing a 30/30/30... ok

And now it don't think it's a WRT54G Razz

Hi. Before installing this in my brand new router I wanted to make sure that I have a way of fixing it in case it fails. Just in case my router doesn't work anymore, is there a firmware I can download and flash (and what would the procedure be?), perhaps the stock firmware? Can I back it up somehow perhaps?
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddwrtasus wrote:
Hi. Before installing this in my brand new router I wanted to make sure that I have a way of fixing it in case it fails. Just in case my router doesn't work anymore, is there a firmware I can download and flash (and what would the procedure be?), perhaps the stock firmware? Can I back it up somehow perhaps?

It's really hard to say you can flash this router with dd-wrt and all will go perfectly smooth --- it has never been officially supported by dd-wrt.

You can usually always put it in recovery mode.

You may lose function of some ports but this is usually a temporary state.

Prolly won't have too much trouble if follow what myself or some others have done.

DD-WRT is nothing great on this router.

Shibby tomato works well ---- I used his 140 build on both mine for a while as WDS bridge and twasn't too bad.

good luck -
ddwrtasus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
ddwrtasus wrote:

It's really hard to say you can flash this router with dd-wrt and all will go perfectly smooth --- it has never been officially supported by dd-wrt.

You can usually always put it in recovery mode.

You may lose function of some ports but this is usually a temporary state.

Prolly won't have too much trouble if follow what myself or some others have done.

DD-WRT is nothing great on this router.

Shibby tomato works well ---- I used his 140 build on both mine for a while as WDS bridge and twasn't too bad.

good luck -

Hmm, so you think I should go with Tomato instead (since this isn't as good and it can brick my router without a way back)?

If so, where can I even find detailed and up to date instructions on how to install Tomato, or even which one to download? I can't find anything that's posted recently, for my router, and that has any comprehensible instructions, nor forums to ask anything. I have never done anything like this before (even though I'm usually really good with computers and tech).

Thanks for any advice and tips Smile
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't tell you what to use --- I don't know what you plan to use it for anyways.
Google will help you in most everything these days Smile but since I'm already here --

Useful Shippy Tomato links:

'Router List'

'Top Download Directory'

Lastest for RT-N12-D1 (last Shibby publicly put out was 7 months ago--- May 2017)
http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/build5x-140-MultiWAN/Asus%20RT-Nxx/tomato-K26-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-140-Max.zip

Note --- last several build he put out are MultiWan which you don't need and would be just as well off using the 132
http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/build5x-132-EN/Asus%20RT-Nxx/tomato-K26-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-132-Max.zip

yea, you will have to unzip to get to the .trx firmware.
Just install thru the firmware upgrade page from factory firmware

Since this is a dd-wrt forum I guess I should mention it --
DD-WRT runs ok on this router but if using it one thing to note for best wireless results keep tx power
about 33 or less for normal home use.
tipo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello, i would like to buy a rt-n12 d1 to replace a broken repeater but i'm not sure if this one can do a wireless bridge. Anyone can confirm if it is possible (dd-wrt or not) ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 10 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: