Hotspot to WIFI Bridge ( to Wifi )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
martianable
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 14:54    Post subject: Hotspot to WIFI Bridge ( to Wifi ) Reply with quote
Hello and Happy New Year to all -

I have been using DD-WRT for many years - so thanks a million !! I love your product !
I hope this isn't a repeat question, if so please provide the correct link as I am a bit lost -

Here's what I need to do though I'm not sure what to call it
My ISPs: ( I have the choice of 2 )
1. Verizon Wireless through Galaxy S3 hotspot (cyanogenmod)
2. Verizon through regular hotspot app on RAZR M
All Other devices are WIFI - ( there are over 10 of them )

My problem is the when using the Verizon hotspot on the RAZR M it seems to choke out when more than 5 devices are connected. The interface has 8 listed as the 'maximum' number you can pick - though I am not sure that's the actual limit -

I would like to use a DD-WRT router to pick up on the hotspot and then distribute to the other wireless devices in the house - feeding the wired devices would be a bonus too as I have a server running -

Thanks again for all the help over the years and kudos to you for your stellar work -

marty
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
martianable
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 15:02    Post subject: Phone Hotspot Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Thanks Murrkf - I appreciate your reply to my post.
I'm not sure how that repeater bridge should work though, since the first 'router' is really my phone ( which has limited configuration options )

Please allow me to reiterate my layout with a picture:

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 15:56    Post subject: Re: Phone Hotspot Reply with quote
martianable wrote:

I'm not sure how that repeater bridge should work though, since the first 'router' is really my phone

Shouldn't matter. Try it.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
martianable
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 15:42    Post subject: Re: Phone Hotspot Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
martianable wrote:

I'm not sure how that repeater bridge should work though, since the first 'router' is really my phone

Shouldn't matter. Try it.

Will Do Murrkf - I'll post back once i give it a whirl - thanks again !
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think a Repeater would be a much better choice instead of Repeater Bridge. From the Phone AP's point of view, setting up a bridge on the DD-WRT router is more or less the same as connecting all your Clients directly to your Phone AP (which seems to be the problem: the phone chokes when it has to handle too many IPs of 10+ clients).

Set up a regular Repeater in DD-WRT, which will create a separate subnet (make sure the DHCP in DD-WRT hands out IPs to the clients on a different subnet than the phone's subnet). That's all. Follow the guidelines here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater

The Phone AP will only see one client: the DD-WRT router. The burden will be transferred from the Phone AP over to the router, which will distribute IPs to the 10+ clients and make all the complicated NAT translations, instead of the Phone AP.

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
I think a Repeater would be a much better choice instead of Repeater Bridge. From the Phone AP's point of view, setting up a bridge on the DD-WRT router is more or less the same as connecting all your Clients directly to your Phone AP (which seems to be the problem: the phone chokes when it has to handle too many IPs of 10+ clients).

Set up a regular Repeater in DD-WRT, which will create a separate subnet (make sure the DHCP in DD-WRT hands out IPs to the clients on a different subnet than the phone's subnet). That's all. Follow the guidelines here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater

The Phone AP will only see one client: the DD-WRT router. The burden will be transferred from the Phone AP over to the router, which will distribute IPs to the 10+ clients and make all the complicated NAT translations, instead of the Phone AP.

This makes sense, and is probably a better plan.

martianable
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:46    Post subject: Works Great ! thanks ! Reply with quote
Thanks a lot guys for your help on this - awesome stuff.
That said I am entering another Post in this thread with a couple of questions on monitoring and tweaking -

I regret no thanking you sooner as I applied the fix / technique shortly after the posts in January

again - thanks !
martianable
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 13:00    Post subject: Monitoring and Tweaking - Reply with quote
Keeping things together in this post I'd like to do an update and ask a few other questions:

Things have been running well and much better than using the phone as the number one AP - thanks !

However it seems that often ( especially when I move out of range with the phone and then return ) there is a degradation of service and though the router reconnects easily enough the 5GHZ band fails to appear on my laptop - I need to connect to 2.4 and then reboot the router -

There also seems to be an issue with throughput - though I cannot say it's the router as I think it may be the phone's LTE connection -

How can I assess the issue better and would you be able to provide any suggestions for finding a few tweaks to apply so that I can obtain more stability and performance ?

Thanks in Advance !

INFO -

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/22/14) giga
Router : Asus RT-AC66U

CPU Model Broadcom BCM5300 chip rev 1
CPU Cores 1
CPU Clock600 MHz
Load Average 3%0.02, 0.02, 0.04
CPU Temperature WL0 46.91 °C / WL1 51.01 °C

Memory
Total Available 91% 239340 kB / 262144 kB
Free 78% 186116 kB / 239340 kB
Used 22% 53224 kB / 239340 kB
Buffers 7% 3972 kB / 53224 kB
Cached 20% 10836 kB / 53224 kB
Active 12% 6332 kB / 53224 kB
Inactive 21% 11408 kB / 53224 kB

Space Usage NVRAM 33.65 KB / 256 KB
CIFS(Not mounted)
JFFS2(Not mounted)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: