AT&T Unite Pro USB Tethering Support for DD WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jasonelmore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:27    Post subject: AT&T Unite Pro USB Tethering Support for DD WRT Reply with quote
Router Used: Asus AC68U Broadcom Dual Core BCM4708A0

I would like to make a request for the DDWRT guys to add USB tethering support for the AT&T Unite Pro Hotspot.

Also Known as: Netgear AirCard 781S (Netgear makes several versions of this for each carrier, all use the same driver)

Basically, this hotspot is one of the only hotspots to support LTE-A. It's the most modern Hotspot i've used.

It has Native USB Tethering Support, it shows up in device manager as a "Remote NDIS Internet Sharing Device". Drivers install automaticlly on Windows 7, windows 8, and windows 10. Windows XP drivers are included on the device itself, and i can provide drivers to any developer interested.

I have been using the 313u Hotspot with my Asus AC68U Router, however it's a very old modem, and has slow speeds (tops out at 15 Mbps, but it's very inconsistent ping wise). The Unite Pro gets 40 Mbps and my ping is very consistent.

Tried to use a 340U hotspot (the updated 313u), but DDWRT doesnt have the drivers i guess, it just won't connect. Despite using the same settings as the 313u in ddwrt.

I think we need to really get on board with this particular Hotspot. It's really the only GSM hotspot worth having ATM because it has Carrier Aggregation/Channel Bonding. Besides a phone.
Gotta have 700 Mhz LTE support for AT&T. most of them modems are 800 and 850mhz

I would use a phone but my data plan is in-compatible (i have a hotspot data plan), don't work on phones.

If anyone has gotten the AT&T Unite, or AT&T Unite Pro working as a WAN in DD WRT Please let me know, and how you did it.

I tried both Mobile Hotspot and Iphone Tethering options in ddwrt but no luck. The hotspot works great on my windows pc using built in drivers.

EDIT: after reading the wiki, it says to post the vendor ID, Product ID, etc.. using commands to request support.

Code:
Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  6 Spd=480  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.10 Cls=02(comm.) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  2
P:  Vendor=0846 ProdID=68e1 Rev= 2.28
S:  Manufacturer=Netgear, Incorporated
S:  Product=AirCard 781S
S:  SerialNumber=013804031141256
C:* #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr=500mA
A:  FirstIf#= 0 IfCount= 2 Cls=e0(wlcon) Sub=01 Prot=03
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=e0(wlcon) Sub=01 Prot=03 Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=32ms

Last edited by Jasonelmore on Wed Apr 08, 2015 0:47; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
Jasonelmore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have i posted this in the right section of the forum? if not, where do i post feature request for the developers to look at?

Thanks

EDIT: I would be willing to provide a loaner device for a confirmed developer if it meant support for this device. As well as a tip $50 for the work once implemented.
Jasonelmore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump 10char
jherzog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I need support for this as well and would also be willing to contribute a $50 tip for the work once implemented.
Jasonelmore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have PM'd one of the Developers, offering $100 and a free device.. We'll add your $50 to the pot as well.

Dev's please respond.
jherzog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for getting back to me! My primary need for this was somewhat time sensitive, for a trade show starting this week, but I can probably continue to extend the offer for the future.
Jasonelmore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
jherzog wrote:
Thank you for getting back to me! My primary need for this was somewhat time sensitive, for a trade show starting this week, but I can probably continue to extend the offer for the future.

I have PM'd Brainslayer, one of the main developers, but so far no response.

I thought open source was supposed to be better than this, but i guess i'm gonna have to learn linux from the ground up, and do it myself.
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
knowing the hardware manufacturers as well as i do. you have to secure an open source driver for it. so if you want support do some leg work and see if you can find and open source driver for it.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
cdmarshall wrote:
knowing the hardware manufacturers as well as i do. you have to secure an open source driver for it. so if you want support do some leg work and see if you can find and open source driver for it.

it uses the same driver as the 340u, which is also on the supported hardware list, however it does not work for some reason. Maybe dd wrt needs to take the 340u off the supported hardware list
Jasonelmore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is the open source driver for the modem:

All of netgears stuff has GPL open source drivers. Now we just need a developer

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2649/~/netgear---open-source-code-for-programmers-%28gpl%29

Specifically:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GPL/open_source_aircard_V02.06.01.02.tgz

or

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GPL/NTG9X35C_V01.03.28.05.tgz

Alternativly, any request for open source drivers will be granted.

all you need to do is email them: opensource@netgear.com

thats for future devices dd wrt devs
Firekite
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:38    Post subject: Yes please! Reply with quote
This would be super helpful.

At the moment I can get up to mid and upper 20's (megabits) through my 313U with the AC68U, while using it through the MoFi 3500-3GN Version 2 Rev 2 with 8.2_std instead will give me low to mid 30's. That's disappointing and unexplained, but the MoFi already supports the Netgear AirCard 781S (Unite Pro). I went ahead and picked up the ASUS AC68U hoping that it's much faster hardware would result in much better performance.

The 781S nets me up to ~75Mbps when tethered directly to the PC. That's really what I'm looking for here Smile

This appears to have collected dust over the last month. What can I do to help resurrect interest?

EDIT: PS I have the latest DD-WRT under Other Downloads for the AC68U -- DD-WRT v24-sp2 (05/19/15)
(SVN revision 26947) -- but while it seems much more polished and stable than the default download, and it offers iPhone Tethering for example, still no 781S or RNDIS support.
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:30    Post subject: Re: Yes please! Reply with quote
Firekite wrote:
This appears to have collected dust over the last month. What can I do to help resurrect interest?

perhaps nothing... i know it doesn't appear to be arm related but check this out:
http://ofmodemsandmen.com/

from_that_website wrote:
Tethered Phones
It is also possible to connect an Android phone to your ROOter using a USB cable and use it to provide internet to your network. To tether your phone to a ROOter, plug in a USB cable between the phone and the router. Then, on the phone, go to Settings->Wireless & networks > Tethering & portable hotspot and check USB Tethering. The rest is done automatically by the ROOter.

never hurts to check out other projects Wink

i put together a little summary (MIPS device not ARM CPU) in response to another question here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=967885#967885

Good Luck!

& if I make any progress on my ARM device I'll let you know, but that is unlikely given I had the E3000 laying around and it is working for my travel needs (I don't need usb tether WAN @ home).

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
Jasonelmore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just noticed the Netgear Aircard 781S has been added to the supported hardware list!!!!!!

i just updated to the July 9th Build for the Asus AC68U to test it out.

However i cant get it to pull a WAN IP.

i also re-tried my Sierra Wireless 340u and same thing, no wan IP.. the 340u has been on the list for quite some time. i wish it would get fixed.

Anyway.. Can you guys give me any insight into how to get the 781s working (also known as the AT&T Unite Pro)

Also how long do modems typically stay in "wip" status?

if you can get this modem working for me, i'd be willing to send you a healthy paypal tip. the ping improvements alone would be worth that to me.

Thanks
Jasonelmore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump 10 char.
Jasonelmore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wanted to let everyone know i found a decent solution for using the 781S on your DD WRT Router.. But it cost $70.00

Turns out, Netgear just released a dock for the 781s (also works for 790s, 785s, Unite, and Unite Pro.)

This Dock provides a Ethernet Port, PLUS boost's your signal, and keeps the hotspot charged.

Netgear AirCard 4G LTE Signal Boosting Cradle with Ethernet

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QIH1CWO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Just use that one ethernet port, to go into your WAN port on your DD WRT Router, and set the ddwrt router to do all the routing.

Netgear even makes a full blown wireless AC router for the 781s, although it's not for sale yet.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/mobile-broadband/hotspots/AirCardSmartCradle.aspx

I wish DD WRT dev's could get it added so no additional hardware purchase is required.

Mofi Router has added support, and so has netgear with their own dock and router.. So it's just a matter of getting DD WRT To code support of these line of hotspots.

Open Source Drivers are freely available. LTE only setups are becoming very popular, Especially in Canada. In the USA, we have no choice for internet

Need more 700Mhz Gear supported.. 700mhz is the best band in the world and there is a reason they charge ultra premium prices for that spectrum.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: