R7000 & IGMP for IPTV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
angrypanda
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 23:07    Post subject: R7000 & IGMP for IPTV Reply with quote
Hi All,

I just got hold of an R7000 and was gutted when I found out that the stock firmware didn't support IGMP/multicast, which is a pre-requisite for watching internet TV in the UK (using BT's Youview PVR). What's even more gutting is that I traded in my DSL-AC68U for the supposedly superior R7000....

Anyway the kids were going crazy because they couldn't watch Adventure Time, so I've had to go back to the dark ages and reinstall the BT home hub 5 (possibly the world's worst ADSL router). So now we have Adv Time back on the TV and a wireless signal that can be stopped by a piece of paper, random router reboots, it's just horrible....

So basically can DD-WRT help? Will it allow the IGMP/multicast traffic through to the internet-enabled PVR so the IPTV channels will work?

I really don't want to take the R7000 back - especially since it looks like an extra from Robot Wars!

Hope you can help!

Cheers, Jon
Sponsor
angrypanda
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:25    Post subject: found this Reply with quote
So after a bit of digging around I found this:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=775831

which seems to suggest that IGMP is there, but needs to be enabled via a script with a config file - igmprt <config>

However, I've drawn a blank on the config file.....can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Jon
angrypanda
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:59    Post subject: bit more digging Reply with quote
okay getting closer.....

You can enable multicast on a VLAN using the instructions here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Setting_up_IPTV_without_impact_to_LAN_and_Wireless_traffic

What I don't know (sorry just my lack of knowledge) is if I put the port (connected to the PVR via powerline adaptors) onto a VLAN and enable multicast traffic to that port, will that stop other devices on the VLAN from seeing a NAS attached to a different port on the router?

Here's a schematic of my current setup/what I'm trying to achieve....

ADSL MODEM
|
\/
ROUTER- port 1 - NAS
.............- port 2 - powerline <-> powerline - SWITCH - port 1 - PVR (IPTV)***
...................................................................................- port 2 - TV
...................................................................................- port 3 - blu-ray
...................................................................................- port 4 - Apple TV
.............- port 3 - not connected
.............- port 4 - not connected

*** needs multicast for IPTV to work
Apple TV currently accesses Plex media server running on the NAS.

So is the VLAN just a means for applying specifying different rules for different ports, but all the normal routing/switching features will still work? Sorry for my ignorance.

I think I'm on the right track, but would like to get some answers to my stupid questions before I take the plunge and install dd-wrt.

Cheers, Jon
TNT555
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:14    Post subject: Re: R7000 & IGMP for IPTV Reply with quote
did you ever get it working,

I suspect it'll get complicated as

Posted here https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Multicast-Settings-for-3rd-Party-Routers-may-not-work/m-p/926132#M4894

For an end user connected via Openreach GEA (FTTC and FTTH)
• The Residential Gateway will support:
– IPoE for multicast traffic and PPPoE for BB traffic;
– VLAN tag ID of 0 or no VLAN tag ID for multicast and BB traffic;
– Fork IGMP requests up multicast and BB paths.

For an end user connected to an MSAN (WBC copper)
• The Residential Gateway will support:
– A dual VC architecture;
– Accept TV Connect multicast traffic on ATM VP/VC 0/35 with IPoE and broadband traffic on ATM VP/VC 0/38 with PPPoE;
– Fork IGMP requests up multicast and broadband paths.

IGMP should v3 and will be in range from 225.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255

If your running adsl, your on MSAN. It could be very difficult to find a modem that bridges or half bridges 0/35 then allow your router to create the 0/38 ppp internet link too. or find a way to do both on dd-wrt via the same wan port.

IPTV seems to be a pain in the butt.

Mines the former which I haven't managed to get working yet but it should be a lot easier, as on the wan side ( spare port on my modem) I can plug in my laptop's ethernet port run vlc and rtp://234.81.130.4:5802 which is the preview channel works. I haven't figured out whether I should bridge the wan port to the lan, or maybe it's just better to use igmpproxy, I don't know for sure how DDWRT's IGMP Snooping works ether, just turning that on doesn't do alot.

The dual PPPOE option not sure what or exactly how that works ether. Is it PPPOE and IPOE (IPTV multicast) on the same wan port or 2 actual PPPOE tunnels.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set vlan2 as the source interface for Multicast, not pppoe:

You have to manually edit igmpproxy.conf.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264294&highlight=igmpproxy+conf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: