A HUGE THANK YOU to all dd-wrt admins/staff/users

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
CCMW
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:07    Post subject: A HUGE THANK YOU to all dd-wrt admins/staff/users Reply with quote
My Story.

I had what I thought was a simple need to hook a production Windows computer that did not have wireless to my small WLAN. I had a new Netgear R6200 and thought I could simply "make it talk" wirelessly to an old Netgear WNR2000v2, which I would plug the Windows PC into.

As most of you probably know, it's not that simple. In fact with the factory firmware I don't know if it's possible at all (WEP mode was not an option for me, even if that could work.)

After carefully studying the Broadcomm/Phoenix post and wiki pages, I decided I had nothing to lose by attempting to carefully reflash the WNR2000 with dd-wrt. Following the instructions as closely as possible, that actually worked beautifully.

I then used the wiki page to set up Repeater Bridge mode, and that actually went extremely well too. But now I could see both routers as candidate networks from Windows network. I wanted to make it so the slave router was only visible to the master. I then used the wiki instructions to set up "Client Bridged" mode and voila! At least it appears I have the result I wanted.

This saved me an enormous amount of hassle, so I actually donated a few $ to dd-wrt. This is an incredible resource.

I hope you can forgive my use of bandwidth to show my excitement; at age 60+ it's not often I get to be a newbie again!

Cheers to all. One last suggestion: READ EVERYTHING (or at least as much as you can) -- AS MANY TIMES AS NECESSARY UNTIL YOU UNDERSTAND -- BEFORE PLUNGING AHEAD! It will really enhance your chances of success.

Tim S.
Sponsor
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum !
So you basically set up the WNR2000v2 as Repeater (or Repeater Bridge ?) I'd like to know which exact DD-WRT was that you flash, because I have a similar router and didn't flash it yet. Can you please point me to the build that works for you here ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/ ? Thanks !

redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did basically the same thing you did...but with a printer. It has an ethernet port...but no wireless (older HP all-in-one)...set it up with an old router in CB mode...now I have a wireless printer/scaner...

Welcome to the forum.

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
Welcome to the forum !
So you basically set up the WNR2000v2 as Repeater (or Repeater Bridge ?) I'd like to know which exact DD-WRT was that you flash, because I have a similar router and didn't flash it yet. Can you please point me to the build that works for you here ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/ ? Thanks !

If it helps, I think he made a setup as Client Bridge. So you have access to the LAN ports but not the WiFi of that router afterwards.
I did exactly the same for my bedroom HTPC which has no WLAN.
I used a Netgear WNR3500v2. I first flashed the factory to DD-WRT build and after that a regular 2.6 NEWD mini build (always newest). Even though the router has a flash of 4MB it only accepts mini builds, no other build below 4 MB - don't know why...

Firmware: Most recent BS or kong build

http://www.sysprofile.de/id14688
http://www.sysprofile.de/id184670
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
@hanson1979
I know how to set up stuff. I was asking about the exact build number because WNR2000v2 is known to easily brick with certain builds. So I don't want to risk trying latest build, because the router is not mine, a friend asked me to set it up for him...

hanson1979
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
@hanson1979
I know how to set up stuff. I was asking about the exact build number because WNR2000v2 is known to easily brick with certain builds. So I don't want to risk trying latest build, because the router is not mine, a friend asked me to set it up for him...

Ah ok, understand. Sorry, didm't want to bother you...

Firmware: Most recent BS or kong build

http://www.sysprofile.de/id14688
http://www.sysprofile.de/id184670
CCMW
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 22:25    Post subject: Netgear WNR2000v2 Reply with quote
In the "PHOENIX" thread was a suggestion to use Brainslayer's 15962 build; I did use the dd-wrt wiki page for that router which contains the link. (to wit: www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/netgear_wnr2000v2)
I did indeed originally implement "repeater bridge" but later successfully implemented "client bridge" as our friend pointed out. Thanks for your interest and good luck with your project.

KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:14    Post subject: Re: Netgear WNR2000v2 Reply with quote
CCMW wrote:
In the "PHOENIX" thread was a suggestion to use Brainslayer's 15962 build; I did use the dd-wrt wiki page for that router which contains the link ( www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/netgear_wnr2000v2)

Thanks for the reply. 15962 is very old... I wanted to try something like 26xxx from ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/

ghoffman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
I did basically the same thing you did...but with a printer. It has an ethernet port...but no wireless (older HP all-in-one)...set it up with an old router in CB mode...now I have a wireless printer/scaner...

Welcome to the forum.

redhawk

redhawk -
what interface/software are you using to share the scanner?
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
ghoffman wrote:

redhawk -
what interface/software are you using to share the scanner?

HP software....It uses the HP Digital Imaging Monitor but it works off the "Standard TCP/IP Port"

redhawk

Navigation

Jump to: