Speeds wont exceed 100Mbps...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Skillz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 23:10    Post subject: Speeds wont exceed 100Mbps... Reply with quote
So I've got a fiber connection w/ 1Gbps connection speed. When I connect my PC directly to the modem I get ~900Mbps.

When I put my router (ASUS RT-AC66U) router between them I can't get above ~100Mbps. Using the same cables I was getting the 900+ Mbps speeds.

Router Name DD-WRT
Router Model Asus RT-AC66U
Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/24/13) giga - build 22118
Kernel Version Linux 3.10.2 #50 Wed Jul 24 10:50:47 CEST 2013 mips

I did a complete factory reset. Prior to that I was getting ~80Mbps tops. (My previous speed was 80Mbps and I would max out about 75Mbps)

Now I am getting 100Mbps. Is this router not capable of anything above 100Mbps on the WAN? The link state on my LAN Adapter on my PC shows 1 Gbps.
Sponsor
rp1p
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
First of all that build is ancient. Try updating to the latest beta to see how things improve. You can find that here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=betas%2F2015%2F

Just choose the latest date and your router model.

Second, dd-wrt doesn't have hardware acceleration like the oem firmware has and so you won't see speeds anywhere near 900mbps let alone 300mbps if you're lucky.

So with a connection like yours it's probably best to just stick with the original manufacturer's firmware.
Skillz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. I flashed the stock firmware back on the router and while I am getting more than 100Mbps it is only around 200Mbps. I've seen benchmarks that this router should be able to handle 800+Mbps so I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

Hardware acceleration is turned on in the stock firmware also. However, I turned it off to see if anything changed and nothing at all changed. I get between 180Mbps and 210Mbps speeds with or without it.

Any other suggestions on what I could try?
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Skillz,
your going to be hard pressed to find ANY after market router that will give you 800-900 {ipv4/NAT) WAN/LAN rates.

If your carrier offers 1gig WAN then you probably should stick with their router.

ipv6 is different because the router doesn't have to change every packet going through.

The router you have specifically wont get near those speeds. Its a single core 600Mhz cpu. Way too little horse power for gig WAN even with CTF.

The R7000 is a dual cpu 1ghz unit and it wont push gig WAN either.
On ddwrt you will get it to about 250-350Mbps ish.
Overclock the R7000 and you will get a boost but again still nowhere near gig WAN. Stock firmware with CTF is supposed to hit around 700-900Mbps I believe if I remember correctly.

Another alternative it you want an after market router is the newer Linksys wrt1900ac. Its a Dual core 1200mhz and Kongs early testing shows it to be pretty fast. I don't know if it can push gig WAN on stock firmware. You will have to research that on your own.

Lastly, if you want something other than what the service provider gives you AND you want near gig WAN speeds then you can consider taking a pc with dual gig NIC. Put one of the free Firewall applications on it and let it be your WAN router.
PCs have way more HP than routers.

**update**
pfSense is considered one of the best free software appliances available.
You can check it out here.
https://www.pfsense.org/download/

Good luck
Mike

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
Skillz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Mike,

Thanks a lot for your input. I ordered a EdgeRouter Lite ERLite-3 512MB 3 Ethernet Ports Router from Amazon and it should be here Sunday. I was told this router will handle my connection just fine, but I'd need to provide my own switch and wireless AP. I have a TP-LINK TL-SG108 8-Port 10/100/1000Mbps switch that I intend to use with it and I'm going to use my RT-AC66U router as a wireless AP.

Really don't want to go the "build my own router" route or I would have done that years ago already. Smile
Skillz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sadly the ERL isn't capable of sustaining the speeds either. Sad
dc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Skillz wrote:
Sadly the ERL isn't capable of sustaining the speeds either. Sad

Hi,

You may want to check your cables and/or distance, my ERL can easily handle 150mb/s internet while simultaneously passing 24mb/s of IPTV traffic (3HD channels). My Asus RT-N66U can also keep up with the 150mb/s wan to lan throughput.
milkk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same issue with my AC66U even when I went back to Stock or Merlin still same issue so just got another router which worked fine.

Navigation

Jump to: