Questions R7000, 5GHZ DFS channels, xmit power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 13:35    Post subject: Questions R7000, 5GHZ DFS channels, xmit power Reply with quote
I am running Kong 23884 on an R7000 with the regulatory domain set to United States (in the USA). I see I can choose DFS channels such as 52, 100, and 132 for my 5GHz network. If I choose these channels, will DD-WRT make or allow the radio to correctly yield to the other (radar) users of the band when necessary? Will all versions of DD-WRT for the R7000 support this correctly, both allowing selection of these channels and yielding to other non-wifi users when required? If not, which versions are known to behave how in regard to these channels?

Also, how does the transmit power allowed by DD-WRT vary over the different 5GHz channels and have there been changes in this between the DD-WRT versions? How and in what versions has DD-WRT responded to changes in FCC rules on the transmit power on the 5Ghz band?

Thanks
Sponsor
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
70 people have read this and no one has any knowledge about handling of DFS and variations on transmit power among versions of DD-WRT, or even how an R7000 running DD-WRT will respond if a radar comes online on the shared frequencies?
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe you would find that the majority of users are not concerned since the closed source proprietary drivers supplied by Broadcom for their chipsets handles
the radar mapping and DFS issues without input from DD-WRT.

Perhaps this is why some users are complaining of disconnects with having a local 5ghz weather radar looking in their window and turning their channels off.

Not exactly something the casual user is cognizant of.

I live in the footprint of Tucson's EMX with no problems.

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:
I believe you would find that the majority of users are not concerned since the closed source proprietary drivers supplied by Broadcom for their chipsets handles
the radar mapping and DFS issues without input from DD-WRT.
I was simply curious how this aspect works. Also, if a radar is detected and I have the router set to a fixed (DFS) channel, is the wifi supposed to stop working until the radar is no longer observed, or is the router supposed to temporarily move the network to another channel despite the user having chosen a fixed channel?

The Kong build I have installed uses the older driver. If I switch to a current build what changes (if any) will there be in handling of DFS, and what changes (if any) will there be in transmit power allowed on the various channels?

ddaniel51 wrote:
Perhaps this is why some users are complaining of disconnects with having a local 5ghz weather radar looking in their window and turning their channels off.
That may be the case, so this is something we should understand when making our choice of channel.
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any comments on how the DFS support is handled by R7000 when I am using DD-WRT? Especially if I choose a specific DFS channel and not do automatic channel?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: