TP-Link Archer C9 Thread

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Derarchten
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
wirelesskebab wrote:
Derarchten wrote:
xViNi wrote:
I'm using the stock firmware in my Archer C9 v1. Would you guys recommend me to install the beta 2016-05-10 ? Are you guys having problems with that firmware ?

Thanks

I DO NOT recommend you flash r29621 (2016-05-10), I had serious problems flashig this version !!

Thanks for the heads up lad, I flashed 05-09-2016-r29607 without difficulties when it came out. Embarassed

What version are you using now? Wink

I've been consistently updating builds without a serial cable and a clue... I wish people would post here when they have a good flash with a new build to let others know. I will try to do that. Cool

takeahike wrote:
fuu76 wrote:
Noob to forum, looking to install DD-WRT on a C9 v2 (aka US version 1900).
I've read through 20 pages of this thread and can't find the answer so I'll ask (again).

Is the C9 v2 firmware locked or is it possible to downgrade then upgrade to 12-24-2015 R28598?

I tried to downgrade to C9_V1_150122 but that didn't work (because I'm v2 obviously). Can't upgrade to 28598 directly either.

What's the missing step?

Am running 3.17.0 Build 20151009 Rel.61423n

Bummer. I have v1 and never had any problem flashing. I was prepared to downgrade to 150122 because of what I read but didn't have to do that either. May be a locked version (v2). Have you tried downgrading to the earliest stock firmware for v2, if there's an earlier one than what you have? Looks like it's 150708 (7/08/15--earlier than you have) here: http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/Archer-C9_V2.html#Firmware. By the way, at the bottom of the TP-Link page just cited it does mention the possibility of using DD-WRT (see pic), so I would think it's not out of the question, so maybe you should call them. I'm using the release you want, r28598 (12/24/15), and it's worked well for me. Some warn against using a version before 1/25/16 because they overwrite TP-Link partitions. See here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=283784&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=165. I'm sticking with what I've got though because I had printer sharing problems with the later versions. Good luck!

I have V2 and never had problems flashing factory-to-ddwrt either back to factory, however when flash from stock to r29621 my router finish on a endless loop and could not revert to stock by TFTP. Always using stock 160315, never downgraded.

Some pain later I could fix my router using Serial Port and now using r29607.

for reference: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1032198#1032198
Sponsor
LordBass
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm planning to buy this router (the V2 version), but I'd like to know if there are any downsides to it, or if I should go with another one instead (most of the other similar routers are crazy expensive in my country, for some reason).

Also, is it possible to revert it back to stock after flashing DD-WRT? Is it just a case of flashing the original Firmware? I already have a couple of TP-Links running DD-WRT, but they all have a "revert to stock" image, and this one doesn't.

Thanks!
Derarchten
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
LordBass wrote:
I'm planning to buy this router (the V2 version), but I'd like to know if there are any downsides to it, or if I should go with another one instead (most of the other similar routers are crazy expensive in my country, for some reason).

Also, is it possible to revert it back to stock after flashing DD-WRT? Is it just a case of flashing the original Firmware? I already have a couple of TP-Links running DD-WRT, but they all have a "revert to stock" image, and this one doesn't.

Thanks!

I also bougth this model for a matter of budget, It is a nice featured router with affordable price in my region !

I have been using different DD-WRT image with no problem and always revert back to factory, expect r29621.

You can revert back to stock firmware easily (at least in theory) as this router has a recovery mode, the point is not have important partition overwritten (this firmware is a beta version and you are at your own risk flashing third firmwares).

This router has also an serial port inside in case you require advanced troubleshooting.

Have a look on the C9 brick fix topic to get better overview:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=283784&sid=27ad72b64011db0c9994abe668ebe0c5
LordBass
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Derarchten wrote:
LordBass wrote:

Thanks!

I also bougth this model for a matter of budget, It is a nice featured router with affordable price in my region !

I have been using different DD-WRT image with no problem and always revert back to factory, expect r29621.

You can revert back to stock firmware easily (at least in theory) as this router has a recovery mode, the point is not have important partition overwritten (this firmware is a beta version and you are at your own risk flashing third firmwares).

This router has also an serial port inside in case you require advanced troubleshooting.

Have a look on the C9 brick fix topic to get better overview:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=283784&sid=27ad72b64011db0c9994abe668ebe0c5

Thanks! But on that thread it says "Be warned though if you use a stock official firmware without a stripped boot loader you will brick". From what I gathered I can only flash dd-wrt to dd-wrt or stock to stock by that method, as I can't find any stripped image for the Archer C9 (v1 or v2).

Edit: sorry, dwelled a bit more on the thread. it seems that there are some files for the V1, but not the v2, and is says that dd-wrt doesn't overwrite the partitions anymore. Does this mean I can just flash the original firmware via DD-WRT or TFTP?
takeahike
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="LordBass"]
Derarchten wrote:
LordBass wrote:

Brick fix thread:

Thanks! But on that thread it says "Be warned though if you use a stock official firmware without a stripped boot loader you will brick". From what I gathered I can only flash dd-wrt to dd-wrt or stock to stock by that method, as I can't find any stripped image for the Archer C9 (v1 or v2).

Edit: sorry, dwelled a bit more on the thread. it seems that there are some files for the V1, but not the v2, and is says that dd-wrt doesn't overwrite the partitions anymore. Does this mean I can just flash the original firmware via DD-WRT or TFTP?

Not sure why but it seems the white v1 as opposed to v2 or the Costco (black) version is easier to deal with if you want to switch from stock firmware to dd-wrt--not sure if this is ultimately true but a white v1 seems to be the one with the most experimenting in this and the brick fix thread and hence the most information and therefore probably the most predictable results. For this reason it might be safer to get a white v1 when you buy--ultimately of course it is your choice but possibly that's a better choice with all the uncertainly surrounding this router, not to mention that it's relatively new to the market, a factor that can only add to uncertainty. I flashed from stock to dd-wrt with that version of the router directly from the upgrade button within the stock firmware. Remember: first flash with the factory to dd-wrt file and then follow with the web-flash file. As you seem to be aware, you should flash the 1/25/16 version or later if you want it to be easier to revert to stock. See: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=283784&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=165. As I said above I'm using r28598 (12-24-15) because with the more recent versions I had trouble getting my printer sharing to work. Would be harder for me to revert to stock but I have no intention of doing so unless I needed warranty service (hopefully won't need that). Release 28598 seems to be the best release so far although one cannot be absolutely sure without more information and, again, it does of course have that revert to stock difficulty. It's doing everything I need and seems to work well in all other aspects (stability, speed, range, etc.), so it's a keeper for me. Another thing: you can check out the following thread if you want to be able to control the router's leds: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=993376
LordBass
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="takeahike"]
LordBass wrote:
Derarchten wrote:
LordBass wrote:

Brick fix thread:

Not sure why but it seems the white v1 as opposed to v2 or the Costco (black) version is easier to deal with if you want to switch from stock firmware to dd-wrt--not sure if this is ultimately true but a white v1 seems to be the one with the most experimenting in this and the brick fix thread and hence the most information and therefore probably the most predictable results. For this reason it might be safer to get a white v1 when you buy--ultimately of course it is your choice but possibly that's a better choice with all the uncertainly surrounding this router, not to mention that it's relatively new to the market, a factor that can only add to uncertainty. I flashed from stock to dd-wrt with that version of the router directly from the upgrade button within the stock firmware. Remember: first flash with the factory to dd-wrt file and then follow with the web-flash file. As you seem to be aware, you should flash the 1/25/16 version or later if you want it to be easier to revert to stock. See: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=283784&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=165. As I said above I'm using r28598 (12-24-15) because with the more recent versions I had trouble getting my printer sharing to work. Would be harder for me to revert to stock but I have no intention of doing so unless I needed warranty service (hopefully won't need that). Release 28598 seems to be the best release so far although one cannot be absolutely sure without more information and, again, it does of course have that revert to stock difficulty. It's doing everything I need and seems to work well in all other aspects (stability, speed, range, etc.), so it's a keeper for me. Another thing: you can check out the following thread if you want to be able to control the router's leds: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=993376

I think I'll try to buy the V1 then. Are there any significant differences between the V1 and the V2? I can't seem to find anything online, and reading about the C7 makes me nervous about buying the V1 Razz
Push78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello, so I was wondering since I have the the C9 archer v1 white color..

What's the best build to install on it?
+
What's the safest way to install to ensure nothing will be bricked?

Thanks for your help!
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Push78 wrote:
Hello, so I was wondering since I have the the C9 archer v1 white color..

What's the best build to install on it?
+
What's the safest way to install to ensure nothing will be bricked?

Thanks for your help!

Have you read something from this thread? That question has been answered like ten times.
takeahike
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
LordBass wrote:
I think I'll try to buy the V1 then. Are there any significant differences between the V1 and the V2? I can't seem to find anything online, and reading about the C7 makes me nervous about buying the V1 Razz

Not sure what the differences are. I've just read that there are minor hardware changes. What is it about the C7 that makes you nervous? Every router is going to have complaints--it's unavoidable. The C9 has been very reliable for me and has very good range--I've had it about a month. I also had a TL-WDR4300 that was also very good but it didn't have as good a range as the C9.
LordBass
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
takeahike wrote:
LordBass wrote:

Not sure what the differences are. I've just read that there are minor hardware changes. What is it about the C7 that makes you nervous? Every router is going to have complaints--it's unavoidable. The C9 has been very reliable for me and has very good range--I've had it about a month. I also had a TL-WDR4300 that was also very good but it didn't have as good a range as the C9.

The C7 V1 was plagued with issues, to the point of d-link exchanging V1 units for V2 for free. But if it's so minor as people say, I think I'll just buy it anyway. Thanks!
takeahike
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
LordBass wrote:
takeahike wrote:
LordBass wrote:

The C7 v1 was plagued with issues, to the point of d-link exchanging V1 units for V2 for free. But if it's so minor as people say, I think I'll just buy it anyway. Thanks!

The version 2 of the C7 seems to be the mainstream one at this point and is recommended in a lot of mainstream press. See: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/. A quote from the article: "Make sure you’re getting a v2 or v3 version, though, as the router’s v1 version stank." (We're talking about the C7, not the C9, here.) Not sure if the range is as good as the C9--everyone comments on the excellent range of the C9 and I can confirm that. So are you getting a C7 or C9? Personally I think the C9 is a better unit (with the equivalent increased cost, of course): has a better processor, more flash ram (16mb vs. 8mb, same regular ram, 128mb) beamforming technology and a usb 3.0 port. Even though the 3.0 port is technically better, 3.0 ports don't seem to produce much on routers, so that alone probably isn't worth much. See: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=301681. I also like the appearance if the C9 more (especially the blue leds) but that's subjective, of course. One thing about the C7 is I would think the dd-wrt support for it is probably better for it than for the C9 since it's been around longer and is a very widely used product (the support was definitely better for my TL-WDR4300 than the C9 for the same reasons). The price difference isn't that much higher for the C9 even though it's gone up in the last month. Can't get one now for much less than $130 U.S. (vs. about $90 for the C7). Best deal I could find if you're in the United States: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=archer+c9&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=. I was lucky--got my C9 for $109.95 U.S. (at B&H), free shipping, no sales tax, about a month ago! Mine turned out to be v1--if you want that version you should check with them because it could be v2 they're selling now, since the price seems to be persistently higher.
giuliomagnifico
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
IF you can wait..there is the C2600 on the way: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/Archer-C2600.html

I was doubtful netween C7 and C9, I bought a C7 that I will sell as soon as the C2600 will be supported by DD-WRT.

Anyway the C9 v1 is well supported (but not as well as the C7).
takeahike
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
giuliomagnifico wrote:
IF you can wait..there is the C2600 on the way: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/Archer-C2600.html

I was doubtful netween C7 and C9, I bought a C7 that I will sell as soon as the C2600 will be supported by DD-WRT.

Anyway the C9 v1 is well supported (but not as well as the C7).

It's available now: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Technology-Streaming-Archer-C2600/dp/B010UR8AM2 Are you just waiting for dd-wrt support?
giuliomagnifico
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
takeahike wrote:
Are you just waiting for dd-wrt support?

Obviously Very Happy

The price is very interesting and it earns the best label from SNB http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32871-tp-link-archer-c2600-ac-2600-wireless-dual-band-gigabit-router-reviewed?start=4

..just some months... Cool
takeahike
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
giuliomagnifico wrote:
takeahike wrote:
Are you just waiting for dd-wrt support?

Obviously Very Happy
The price is very interesting and it earns the best label from SNB http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32871-tp-link-archer-c2600-ac-2600-wireless-dual-band-gigabit-router-reviewed?start=4

..just some months... Cool

Will the MU-MIMO make a huge difference in your environment? I'm just using primarily one laptop for wireless, so would probably be a little bit of overkill for me (phones are just for calls and my TV doesn't have Wi-Fi). Price is real reasonable for the features. Maybe should jump faster and use the stock firmware for a while before the price goes up. The C9 is stubbornly $20 or so over where it was a month ago--maybe they ran out of version 1.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 70, 71, 72  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 31 of 72
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: