I flashed from one 3rd party to another without reset.Brick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
tymbrwlf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was wondering if I could get a little assistance. I recently acquired another Linksys WRT150n v1.1 router (I already had two which I successfully upgraded to DD-WRT and then Tomato). Previously, I followed these steps with NO issues:

1.) Flash latest Linksys firmware (Linksys-WRT150NV11_1.01.9_US_code.bin)
2.) Reset to defaults

3.) Login and then flash DD-WRT (dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin)
4.) Hard 30/30/30 reset

5.) Login and flash to Tomato (tomato-K26-1.28.7483.3MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Std.bin)
6.) Hard 30/30/30 reset

7.) login and configure

I just tried this with the new one and the Tomato update states it worked but now I cannot access the router at all. No web interface, no default Wifi, nothing. It does function as an unmanaged switch (i.e. if I connect one LAN port to my existing router and another to a laptop, the laptop gets DHCP from the existing router) but that's it. Power light works but the reset button does nothing.

The only thing I failed to do this time was the 30/30/30 reset after flashing DD-WRT.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. I'm stumped. TIA
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ddwrt uses inconsistent Nvram values to go straight to tomato, which can brick some routers if you don't at least clear them or go back to oem firmware. See the peacock announcement, note 6. You might need a cable to fix it.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
wnorris
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
In dd-wrt the password is encrypted and this is why old password does not work after install tomato (or back from dd-wrt to Genie).

For the NetGear r7000:

Do this:
1) run router and wait 2-3
2) push and hold wifi on/off button for 25 secs - this will enable a "backdoor" access to the router.
3) use putty and connect via telnet on port 233 and log in to router without password
4) run command: nvram get http_passwd (login`s value: nvram get http_username)
5) use result as password
6) when you log in to tomato remember to erase nvram

Last edited by wnorris on Sun May 17, 2015 19:25; edited 1 time in total
tymbrwlf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
On the previous three WRT150N's I had flashed, I couldn't not go directly from OEM to Tomato and had to use DD-WRT as a intermediate step. I'm found that here somewhere although it's been a long time ago and I don't recall the exact thread. I'd made a note of this in my setup instructions that I saved on my PC. I've followed this procedure with three other WRT150n's. Just baffled as to why it didn't work this time.

No matter what IP I try to ping I get this message (per the instructions in Note 6):

When I set my laptop to the 192.168.1.x subnet:
Ping 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.1.20 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host unreachable
etc

When I set my laptop to the 192.168.0.x subnet:
Ping 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.0.20 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host unreachable
etc

I've also tried the 192.168.3.x-192.168.10.x subnets (just as a hunch).

The WRT150n doesn't have a WiFi on/off button. Are you referring to the Reserved button on top of the device? As I said, I'm not even getting a login prompt. Just "Page not found" and cannot ping anything.

ETA: If someone can tell me what to buy and where to buy it, I'll try building my own cable. Or if someone would build one for me, I would be more than willing to pay you for your time and effort.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
See the serial recovery wiki article.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
tymbrwlf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did. I just ordered a CA-42 cable but I'm unclear on how to build the end that connects to the router; if someone has one, could you post a picture of that end of the cable?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Depending on what in the router,my have to either solder a receiver for the header pins, attach clips to attach to the pads, or solder directly to the pads. You might also have to solder in a header with the proper number of pins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: