DIR-810L rejecting firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
jbenedetto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 21:12    Post subject: DIR-810L rejecting firmware Reply with quote
I picked up a D-Link DIR-810L rev B1 and want to install dd-wrt, but I get a message that the firmware is invalid or corrupted.

I thought updating the official firmware from D-Link's site might help, but strangely the router rejects that firmware too.

So I figured I'd try open-wrt, but their method requires a ttl to serial adapter which I don't have.

Another odd thing about this router is that the board doesn't match the picture shown on the openWRT wiki page here:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-810l

There are five holes in a different location on the board I have and the holes are labeled USB1, so I'm thinking it may be possible to flash the router via a USB cable.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've got a usb cable clipped to the board, but I don't know how I can push files to it.

Many thanks.
Sponsor
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 21:16    Post subject: Re: DIR-810L rejecting firmware Reply with quote
jbenedetto wrote:
I picked up a D-Link DIR-810L rev B1 and want to install dd-wrt, but I get a message that the firmware is invalid or corrupted.

I thought updating the official firmware from D-Link's site might help, but strangely the router rejects that firmware too.

Are you sure you've got a DIR-810L B1 version ? Is it a European/USA/Asian model ? Please provide more info.

Can you point to the official firmware update from D-Link's site that was rejected ? That's very strange. Be careful that European and American models have different firmwares...

jbenedetto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 21:31    Post subject: DIR-810L Reply with quote
I purchased this router at Walmart in the USA. It was on clearance for $10.

Here is where I downloaded the firmware:
http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-810L.

edit: Apparently that link doesn't work. If you go to support.dlink.com and search 810L it will lead you to the page I downloaded from. I also tried the EU version from D-Link but I can't seem to find the link I used. The filename is DIR-810L_fw_revB_2-03-b02_eu_multi_20141219.zip.

The back of the router and the router config page says HW is REV B1. The board is stamped rev A1, so I tried both the rev A and rev B firmware and neither worked.

Some pictures of the router and board:

The USB contacts are located between the WAN port and the reset button.
btx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just picked up a dir-810l b1 and installed dd-wrt. Installing from the administrative page was rejected for me too, but installing from emergency room worked (factory-to-ddwrt).
jbenedetto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:29    Post subject: Emergency room? Reply with quote
How exactly does one do that?

I tried installing factory-to-ddwrt using the standard config dialog and it was rejected.
btx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:39    Post subject: Re: Emergency room? Reply with quote
[quote="jbenedetto"]How exactly does one do that?

I tried installing factory-to-ddwrt using the standard config dialog and it was rejected.[/quote]
1. Set computer ip manually to 192.168.0.2 and mask to 255.255.255.0
2. Connect computer to router with cable
3. Unplug router power cable
4. Press and keep router reset button pressed
5. Plug in power cable and keep reset button pressed until power led flashes orange
6. Release reset button and go to the emergency room page at 192.168.0.1 and upload firmware
7. Set computer ip back to automatic
jbenedetto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:57    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote
Thanks! This did the trick!
takeaschmidt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:04    Post subject: Re: Emergency room? Reply with quote
Ok I'm having a helluva time getting this to work. I've tried multiple factory to ddwrt bins and the other webflash bins as well. I've tried in the regular DLink interface as well as recovery mode (emergency room, hold button 30 seconds, hop on one foot, reboot, rub stomach for 30 seconds, etc). I am 100% certain I have the B1 hardware. The same one on clearance in the land of dumbasses (Wally World). I've even tried up/down grading DLink firmware for grins (which works fine fwiw). The factory to ddwrt bins say "Upgrade Successfully" in recovery mode. But it never proceeds to reboot, or any of the normal behavior I expect like my DIR 601 has. I've been using dd-wrt for years and played with open wrt as well. I dont think this is a rtfm kind of issue but who knows maybe I've lost my mind lol.

I even returned the first router thinking it was somehow faulty. But the 2nd does the exact same thing. I'm about to pop a usb to serial cable in...but prefer to shy away from that. It can't really be this hard. Keep it simple stupid, ya know?

Anybody offer any guidance?

btx wrote:
jbenedetto wrote:
How exactly does one do that?

I tried installing factory-to-ddwrt using the standard config dialog and it was rejected.

1. Set computer ip manually to 192.168.0.2 and mask to 255.255.255.0
2. Connect computer to router with cable
3. Unplug router power cable
4. Press and keep router reset button pressed
5. Plug in power cable and keep reset button pressed until power led flashes orange
6. Release reset button and go to the emergency room page at 192.168.0.1 and upload firmware
7. Set computer ip back to automatic
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
You probably didn't do exactly as btx suggested.

I would first try downgrading to the first available factory firmware from d-link's website. Newer factory firmwares tend to deny flashing any 3rd party firmware (ddwrt, openwrt etc).

Then flash factory-to-ddwrt.

takeaschmidt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well here's a strange turn of events...I tried that. And it did exactly the same thing as the factory to ddwrt did. In the recovery screen it said upgrade successfully. It was miserably unsuccessful as before. So as a last ditch effort I just started trying other PCs. I was originally using linux with opera, firefox, and chrome. I tried a windoze 7 laptop with IE, firefox, and chrome. I even tried using 'Ultra Simple Web Browser' to eliminate the browser fanciness (it's actually been the savior of this process twice before on other routers). I got on my son's machine (Dell touch screen, Windoze 8, etc) and it WORKED using IE. I flashed factory to ddwrt in recovery. Now to make this stupid thing work as a wireless client lol.

That has to be the pickiest recovery I have ever encountered. Nonetheless I hope this helps someone else and thank you for helping!

KrypteX wrote:
You probably didn't do exactly as btx suggested.

I would first try downgrading to the first available factory firmware from d-link's website. Newer factory firmwares tend to deny flashing any 3rd party firmware (ddwrt, openwrt etc).

Then flash factory-to-ddwrt.
Danny1976
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 18:43    Post subject: DIR-810L B1 Cannot Install DD-WRT Reply with quote
I have tried to install DD-WRT and have not been successful. I have a DIR-810 ver B1. Inside the dlink tools firmware I was unable to install it. I tried the through the recovery mode and it does installs the factory to ddwrt. But when I reboot the router from recovery mode it still has Dlink firmware. What am I doing wrong? I have set the ip to 192.168.0.2 but still nothing. I am unable to lower the firmware to the first version from the tools and from recovery mode. The lowest firmware I can install is the one after the first. Please help!!! Thank you in advance.

I am on a windows 10 PC and I have used chrome, firefox and edge.
razel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:54    Post subject: Success with DD-WRT with 2.02b1 firmware Reply with quote
I finally was able to DD-WRT on my Dlink DIR-810L B1 with the 2.04b1 security patched firmware.

Initial failed steps:
- 2.04b1 reset to factory
- failed update using DLink web interface with factory-to-ddwrt 25818, factory-to-ddwrt 27600, webflash 27600, openwrt 15.05
- failed using recovery flash mode with all 4 above
- failed downflash using DLink web interface and recovery mode with Dlink 2.01b3
- successful downflash to 2.02b1

2.02b1 has a bug where it may lockup at the login screen. This is stated and fixed in their firmware notes post 2.02b1. If it happens, simply power it off or press the reset button.

To get DD-WRT with Dlink firmware 2.02b1 using recovery flash mode:
- reset to factory, after 1st boot, ensure the web interface displays
- power off by pulling the power cord
- set network adapter to IP 192.168.0.2, SUBNET MASK 255.255.255.0
- push and hold the reset button, put power plug in, continue holding the reset until the power light turns orange, release
- go to 192.168.0.1, flash the factory-to-ddwrt 25818
- once it begins the percent completed counting, feel free to close the browser, disconnect the network cable and undo the IP/SUBNET MASK changes, then replug wait until it gets an IP address
- with DD-WRT, flash the webflash 25818, choose reset to default after flash

5Ghz wireless didn't work for me. I even flashed the latest 27600 v3 build. I ended up going back to Dlink's 2.04b1. Here's where things changed. Now with 2.04b1 I can go direct to the dd-wrt 27600 builds, unlike before. Therefore I detailed my initial failed steps for you to try in case going from DLink's 2.02b1 to DD-WRT instructions don't work at the start. Total time with my failed attempts was about 1 hour. Best of luck, be patient, and set aside enough time.

Remember... ALWAYS reset to factory before flashing and ALWAYS flash wired.

Referenced files
DLink 2.04b1 - http://securityadvisories.dlink.com/security/publication.aspx?name=SAP10052
DD-WRT 25818 - http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
DD-WRT 27600 - ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/08-11-2015-r27600/dlink-dir810l-b1/
OPENWRT 15.05 - http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05-rc3/ramips/mt7620/openwrt-15.05-rc3-ramips-mt7620-dir-810l-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
Danny1976
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:14    Post subject: Re: Success with DD-WRT with 2.02b1 firmware Reply with quote
razel wrote:
I finally was able to DD-WRT on my Dlink DIR-810L B1 with the 2.04b1 security patched firmware.

Initial failed steps:
- 2.04b1 reset to factory
- failed update using DLink web interface with factory-to-ddwrt 25818, factory-to-ddwrt 27600, webflash 27600, openwrt 15.05
- failed using recovery flash mode with all 4 above
- failed downflash using DLink web interface and recovery mode with Dlink 2.01b3
- successful downflash to 2.02b1

2.02b1 has a bug where it may lockup at the login screen. This is stated and fixed in their firmware notes post 2.02b1. If it happens, simply power it off or press the reset button.

To get DD-WRT with Dlink firmware 2.02b1 using recovery flash mode:
- reset to factory, after 1st boot, ensure the web interface displays
- power off by pulling the power cord
- set network adapter to IP 192.168.0.2, SUBNET MASK 255.255.255.0
- push and hold the reset button, put power plug in, continue holding the reset until the power light turns orange, release
- go to 192.168.0.1, flash the factory-to-ddwrt 25818
- once it begins the percent completed counting, feel free to close the browser, disconnect the network cable and undo the IP/SUBNET MASK changes, then replug wait until it gets an IP address
- with DD-WRT, flash the webflash 25818, choose reset to default after flash

5Ghz wireless didn't work for me. I even flashed the latest 27600 v3 build. I ended up going back to Dlink's 2.04b1. Here's where things changed. Now with 2.04b1 I can go direct to the dd-wrt 27600 builds, unlike before. Therefore I detailed my initial failed steps for you to try in case going from DLink's 2.02b1 to DD-WRT instructions don't work at the start. Total time with my failed attempts was about 1 hour. Best of luck, be patient, and set aside enough time.

Remember... ALWAYS reset to factory before flashing and ALWAYS flash wired.

Referenced files
DLink 2.04b1 - http://securityadvisories.dlink.com/security/publication.aspx?name=SAP10052
DD-WRT 25818 - http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
DD-WRT 27600 - ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/08-11-2015-r27600/dlink-dir810l-b1/
OPENWRT 15.05 - http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05-rc3/ramips/mt7620/openwrt-15.05-rc3-ramips-mt7620-dir-810l-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Thank you for taking the time to explain it in detail. I was going to give it a try again, but since you mention that the 5Ghz doesn't work, I am thinking about it.

I have an issue with my router where all of a sudden it looses internet and the router has no lights, as if the power was off. But the power is on and the only way to get it back on, is to press the power button off and then on. There is no pattern to the issue. It can last weeks, before it happens again. That's one of the reason for wanting to install DD-WRT.

Has your router done that too?
razel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:42    Post subject: Round 2, 5Ghz N works and conclusion Reply with quote
After my journey to DD-WRT then back to Dlink 2.04 firmware, I wanted to get 5Ghz working with DD-WRT. This time I could not flash DD-WRT. I tried to reflash Dlink firmware 2.02 and 2.04 and both failed. Those worked fine before, so I powered down, held the reset and re-entered recovery mode, SUCCESS! I suppose you just need to keep trying by restarting recovery mode.

Once in DD-WRT, in the status, the 5ghz channel is 1 which is not right and it also says that the rate is 433MB/s (AC speed). Simply choosing a 5ghz channel 'enables' 5ghz wireless N, but not AC. I tried different settings, but gave up.

My goal with DD-WRT was enforcing implicit/explicit beamforming which is no-where to be found. Looking up the SOC whitepaper online reveals a 'Beamforming transmit or transit' but not much else. It's not even mentioned in the selling brochure.

With Google's 15 or 17 antenna wireless router coming up soon, they'll be plenty of other toys that will be discounted. So I'm moving on. I still like the Dlink 810L. It was $20 clearance @ Walmart and I've been beyond happy with the stock firmware. It is rock solid the past 5 months I've owned it, never rebooted once on it's own.

Revised instructions with D-LINK firmware 2.02b1 or 2.04b1
- reset to factory, finish boot, ensure the Dlink web interface shows
- power off with power cord/button
- connected wired, set adapter IP 192.168.0.2, SUBNET MASK 255.255.255.0
- hold reset button, power up, release reset button when power is orange
- quickly go to 192.168.0.1, flash factory-to-ddwrt (tested with 25815, 25818, or 27600)
- if it fails, power down and restart recovery mode
- if failure continues, try the original D-Link firmware, that should NOT fail
- once 'percent completed' begins counting, feel free to close the browser, unplug cable, undo IP/SUBNET, replug, wait for new IP
- once in DD-WRT, reset to factory, reboot
- enable 5Ghz wireless N by choosing a channel

NOTES:
- 2.02b1 may freeze at login screen, just power cycle
- To go back to Dlink firmware, use recovery mode
- refer to previous post for links to firmware files
- 25815 firmware is available from another user's public OneDrive. Do a search, but I don't recommend it since the newer ones seem to work the same.

Have fun.
razel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 0:35    Post subject: Round 3, 27716, 3rd time's a charm? Reply with quote
Tried 27716 since in the changelog was a '5ghz defaults' fix. Unfortunately no change for our router. Still no 5ghz, says channel 1, also says security is on. It's not. Choosing a channel turns 5ghz on, but still only wireless N and A, no AC. N works, I could not/too lazy to test A.

Also I followed my own flashing instructions. Failed update in recovery mode twice. Third restart worked. 1st two tries was the same browser window in Edge. Third try I opened a new browser IE11 using p0rn mode (In Private Browsing).

I still like this little router. Currently using Linksys EA6200 & EA6400. Both of those run hot and are large compared to this little, cool running 810l. I may get rid of the EA6400 and put this 810l back meaning, I'll continue to test DD-WRT on it.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: