R8000 development

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
-XPTO-
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Timmy1024 wrote:
Build 31135 or 31160 is the one that introduced the new drivers?

I'll flash it to test and reconfigure the WiFi channels. Is there a way I can get the crashdump from the serial connection to share with you?

The 31205 release, currently Kong's latest, is gold for my R8000. 10+ days without a single crash. It's been connect all that time to a WiFi extender, it's overclocked to 1400MHz, with DNSCRYPT, a few static IP addresses and also has a well known VPN service provider's applet. My free memory is around 72%, CPU load average is negligible and NVRAM is 45KB/64KB. I have, sometime, several clients streaming and WiFi speeds on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz channels are the best clients can support and very reliable too. Streaming on LAN ports have no problem as well.

I suggest you to erase nvram before and after upgrading. Also, make sure you keep the router CPU temperature around 65°C. I use forced ventilation to get that. If you do exactly as I have suggested, with your plain standard configuration, and still have daily crashes, chances are you have a defective R8000 hw indeed.
Sponsor
Timmy1024
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your throughly reply XPTO. I'll try what you recommend and report back - it'll be in a couple of weeks because I have to travel for work this one.

A couple of questions that I'd like to confirm before:

- Do you know exactly which version that Kong mentioned (in the last two releases) - Build 31135 or 31160 is the one that introduced the new drivers?

- Is there a way for me to retrieve a full crashdump directly from the router via serial connection to troubleshoot? Using the syslog server in my computer and the router writing to it never captured anything before crashing

- Are you using USB drives attached to it? I'm using two Seagate disks - I don't know if that might be an issue

- I'm still rocking 30465, which is the build that I've been using the most, even if it crashes pretty much every day. What I did now was to disable Privoxy Ad-Blocking. I noticed that pages "resolve" and load faster, but the main idea was to check if this might have been the issue that make the router crash. Are there any known issues with Ad Blocking that might crash the device?

Thanks once again
-XPTO-
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Timmy1024 wrote:
Thanks for your throughly reply XPTO. I'll try what you recommend and report back - it'll be in a couple of weeks because I have to travel for work this one.

A couple of questions that I'd like to confirm before:

- Do you know exactly which version that Kong mentioned (in the last two releases) - Build 31135 or 31160 is the one that introduced the new drivers?

- Is there a way for me to retrieve a full crashdump directly from the router via serial connection to troubleshoot? Using the syslog server in my computer and the router writing to it never captured anything before crashing

- Are you using USB drives attached to it? I'm using two Seagate disks - I don't know if that might be an issue

- I'm still rocking 30465, which is the build that I've been using the most, even if it crashes pretty much every day. What I did now was to disable Privoxy Ad-Blocking. I noticed that pages "resolve" and load faster, but the main idea was to check if this might have been the issue that make the router crash. Are there any known issues with Ad Blocking that might crash the device?

Thanks once again

Timmy,

- I don't recall exactly when the new drivers were introduced, but in the last few builds I've noticed stability improvement. The latest, I'm now with 11 days uptime;
- Sorry, I can't tell about the crashdump, but there are certainly people here who can help you with that;
- I have no USB drive attached and, yes, that might be worthy testing. After full resetting and upgrading the firmware, try a couple of days before adding your disk. I would do that myself;
- I don't use Privoxy either. That's another thing you may try and see if it affects stability.

Cheers
Timmy1024
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:55    Post subject: Crashed Again Reply with quote
Well... after 2 days of uptime and now with Ad-Blocking / Privoxy disabled, the router restarted again; as usual.

I'll be travelling on a business trip soon, but when I get back I will flash the newest version, leave it as vainilla as could be (just Wi-Fi configured and anything else) and see what happens.

If it still restarts, I'll have to rely on the Netgear official firmware, the mod at OpenWRT or Tomato.

Once again, if there is a way to get the crashdump via the serial connection, PLEASE let me know.

Regards.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 22:55    Post subject: Re: Crashed Again Reply with quote
Timmy1024 wrote:
Well... after 2 days of uptime and now with Ad-Blocking / Privoxy disabled, the router restarted again; as usual.

I'll be travelling on a business trip soon, but when I get back I will flash the newest version, leave it as vainilla as could be (just Wi-Fi configured and anything else) and see what happens.

If it still restarts, I'll have to rely on the Netgear official firmware, the mod at OpenWRT or Tomato.

Once again, if there is a way to get the crashdump via the serial connection, PLEASE let me know.

Regards.

Try this, logon via telnet/ssh and kill wland (this is a watchdog for wireless status):

killall wland

see if this helps. I just found a ressource leak in there, that occurs with some configs. Will be fixed in next build.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks kong.

I rebooted the router to do this on a clean slate and see how long it goes. After that, I've tried running the command you posted and I get the following error:

Code:
sh: invalid number 'wland'

By the way, I'm running "Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r30465M kongac (08/23/16)".

Thanks.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Timmy1024 wrote:
Thanks kong.

I rebooted the router to do this on a clean slate and see how long it goes. After that, I've tried running the command you posted and I get the following error:

Code:
sh: invalid number 'wland'

By the way, I'm running "Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r30465M kongac (08/23/16)".

Thanks.

wland issue is fixed in my latest build.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Kong. I'll try the 31520 when I return and get back to you with the results.
Timmy1024
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I just couldn't control myself and flashed the new version and ajusted the new channels a couple of minutes before leaving to the airport. Smile I'll be out for two week, so that will give it some time to run and see how it goes. I'll also monitor it every couple of days with 'uptime' via SSH, to see if it restarted.

Kong, do you think that there's a chance of this being the thing why the router keeps restarting in every build that I've flashed for the last year?

Thanks again, truly appreciate your support.
888sydney
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 17:59    Post subject: openvpn seems not to work with r31205M Reply with quote
Hi Kong,
Seems that openvpn is broken in r31205M.

Upgraded to this r31205M and now openvpn does not start.

Status -> Openvpn -> State
No ip address listed under Local Address.

Before the upgrade, i could VPN from my iphone.

Thanks
888sydney
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 22:01    Post subject: Re: openvpn seems not to work with r31205M Reply with quote
888sydney wrote:
Hi Kong,

Thanks

Fixed.... my bad!!!!
Typo after restoring config....
Openvpn working now!!!
888sydney
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:08    Post subject: Re: openvpn seems not to work with r31205M Reply with quote
888sydney wrote:
888sydney wrote:
Hi Kong,

Thanks

Fixed.... my bad!!!!
Openvpn working now!!!

All stable and up for 4.5 days with v3.0-r31205M
888sydney
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 23:46    Post subject: Re: openvpn seems not to work with r31205M Reply with quote
888sydney wrote:
888sydney wrote:
888sydney wrote:
Hi Kong,

Thanks

Fixed.... my bad!!!!
Openvpn working now!!!

Still ok 😌 after 9+ days.
Timmy1024
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I returned from my trip after 12 days and the router's being up for the entire time, although with very little bandwidth used from stand-by devices.

I've been actively using the network for the past two days, with an almost 14 days of uptime. Don't want to get too excited too soon... so let's see how it goes before celebrating. Razz

I can't believe that you would just randomly fixed the issue with that memory leak kong... it would be amazing! Ever since I got the R8000, it's been crashing every couple of days with DD-WRT Very Happy

Did you fix anything else worth trying past R31205M? I'll stay on that one for the moment, but would love to hear back from you.

Thanks once again for all of your great work and support.
Sydney888
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 20:56    Post subject: Re: openvpn seems not to work with r31205M Reply with quote
888sydney wrote:
888sydney wrote:
888sydney wrote:
888sydney wrote:
Hi Kong,

Thanks

Fixed.... my bad!!!!
Openvpn working now!!!

Still ok 😌 after 9+ days.

17+ days of continuous uptime!!!

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r31205M kongac (02/03/17)
Time: 07:55:20 up 17 days, 3:08, load average: 0.13, 0.05, 0.00
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 27 of 30
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: