D-Link DIR-860L A1: Known defects

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Edr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:02    Post subject: Speed problem Reply with quote
I think this has to do with the fact that dd-wrt doesn't do CFE and CTF hardware acceleration. See this discussion about it:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=898448&sid=d6e84b9bc5da9d2f14ddd970b6a2ca49#898448
Sponsor
Twingo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
860L is a single core arm processor so the performance will be a lot worse than dual core R7000 or higher end models such as Linksys WRT1900AC; Kong confirmed in other posts that WRT1900AC is capable of runing full gigabit with DD-WRT, R7000 is still only capable of ~700Mbps.
Edr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 18:41    Post subject: Speed problem Reply with quote
Exactly, that is the other issue. The single core processor can come close to 1000mbps with the help of hardware acceleration in the stock firmware (with QoS disabled). Dd-wrt doesn't have the hardware acceleration cheat, so it will take a performance hit. The only options you have to increase the throughput in dd-wrt would be to try to overclock the CPU a little bit. I doubt it would bring you up to 1000mbps though.

Last edited by Edr on Wed Jan 27, 2016 20:38; edited 1 time in total
kotboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Active Wireless Physical Interface wl1 [5 GHz/802.11ac] is connected, for example, smartphone, makes the power indicator glows orange. It's all right?
Edr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 20:37    Post subject: Orange power indicator light. Reply with quote
That's what mine does and its been working fine for months now.
kotboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:27    Post subject: Re: Orange power indicator light. Reply with quote
I can not fix this problem. If I unplug the device from the interface 5GHz, cleaning Internal Flash Storage, it returns the power indicator is green. But connected at 5GHz, and the orange light again.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does it work? Who cares about the lights then.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:14    Post subject: Re: D-Link DIR-860L A1: Known defects Reply with quote
Just wanted to say thanks to those people who delved into this router model and posted all the helpful info.

I live in an apartment where I have an office at the end of the hall where the cable modem and router are hooked up but I can't run a physical line to the entertainment center in the living room where I have a smart TV, gaming PC and console.

I ended up buying a new ASUS router with external antennas and I took my old DIR-860L and flashed it with dd-wrt. The result is I now have a fantastic client bridge for the living room that is polling 585Tx/866Rx. I can run speed tests from my gaming PC and get the same 130 Mbps down as I do on the wired connection in the office.

Very happy! Very Happy
jayjr1105
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 15:43    Post subject: Hot CPU Reply with quote
Anyone notice the CPU is a bit toasty even when idle?

Around 67c when load is about 10%

I feel like a heatsink would do wonders for the performance and longevity of this thing. Has anyone cracked one open before?

Edr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 16:05    Post subject: Heat Sink Reply with quote
The 860L has heat sinks. I think all that would be required would be to attach a fan to the top of the case to provide better cooling.
My 860L is running at 1000MHZ and the temp is 70.2C (ambient temp in my home around 70F). I have had no problems with my 860l running at this speed or temperature.

860l inside.jpg
 Description:
Inside image from smallnetbuilder.com
 Filesize:  39.21 KB
 Viewed:  16473 Time(s)

860l inside.jpg

Twingo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
These are normal temperature, my 860L is running at 67°C @1000MHz clock, while the Trendnet TEW811DRU is running at 85°C @800MHz, same BCM47081 and both never had any problems, all have been running 24/7 for over a year now.
jayjr1105
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for that info about the temperature. Also guys, I am unable to do any virtual interface (guest network). I followed several guides religiously and can't get DHCP working on the Virtual AP.
Edr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:14    Post subject: Guest network Reply with quote
I have guest network working with dhcp fine. Can't remember what guide I used. If I find it I will post the link. I think the trick was to click save or apply at every step.
Edr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:34    Post subject: Guest network Reply with quote
I'm using build 28647 and I used the instructions from here:
http://www.alexlaird.com/2013/03/dd-wrt-guest-wireless/

Clicked save and apply at every step. I added these rules to the firewall commands: (use br1 instead of br2) I used br2 because I have another router assigned to br1 already)

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o `get_wanface` -j SNAT --to `nvram get wan_ipaddr`
iptables -I FORWARD -i br2 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i br2 -o br0 -m state --state NEW -j DROP
#aditional fw
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o br2 -m state --state NEW -j DROP
iptables -I INPUT -i br2 -p tcp --dport telnet -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
iptables -I INPUT -i br2 -p tcp --dport ssh -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
iptables -I INPUT -i br2 -p tcp --dport www -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
iptables -I INPUT -i br2 -p tcp --dport https -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
jayjr1105
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 15:58    Post subject: Re: Guest network Reply with quote
Edr wrote:
I'm using build 28647 and I used the instructions from here:
http://www.alexlaird.com/2013/03/dd-wrt-guest-wireless/

Clicked save and apply at every step. I added these rules to the firewall commands: (use br1 instead of br2) I used br2 because I have another router assigned to br1 already)

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o `get_wanface` -j SNAT --to `nvram get wan_ipaddr`
iptables -I FORWARD -i br2 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i br2 -o br0 -m state --state NEW -j DROP
#aditional fw
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o br2 -m state --state NEW -j DROP
iptables -I INPUT -i br2 -p tcp --dport telnet -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
iptables -I INPUT -i br2 -p tcp --dport ssh -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
iptables -I INPUT -i br2 -p tcp --dport www -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
iptables -I INPUT -i br2 -p tcp --dport https -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset

Yeah, that is the guide I used. I've tried it on a few different builds as well. I will try it on your build sometime here soon. I spent about 3 hours on it this past weekend and was pretty bummed I couldn't get it going.

Am I correct in thinking you can just create the virtual interface and connect to it like it's your primary wireless? (obviously on the same subnet).

I'm just trying to go through the steps and see where things stop working.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 9
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: