netgear WNDR3400 firmware upgrade question (from v24)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mrdrthom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:14    Post subject: netgear WNDR3400 firmware upgrade question (from v24) Reply with quote
my WNDR3400 has firmware "v24-sp2 (06/07/14) stdkon" (which I presume is vulnerable to the KRACK attack).

could someone knowledgeable please recommend an upgrade path.

(1) i understand the 8M firmware limit for this device

(2) my takeaway from the other threads is that the necessary process to upgrade old firmware requires one to stepwise upgrade thru intermediate versions. is this correct or can i simply install a single more modern firmware and be done with it?

(3) i favor ease and simplicity over features and router speed. i don't need the latest and greatest. I just need something secure.

thanks in advance for sharing.
Sponsor
mrdrthom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
reporting back in hope that it helps someone else:

(1) I selected the "big" version of the most recent build listed in the router database for my unit. this was "dd-wrt.v24-40559_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-nv64k.bin". I had no special reason to select "big" vs "mega".

(2) I did the 30/30/30 reset procedure to default the configuration prior to the upgrade. I did this because of the large jump in versions from what I had to what I was going to.

(3) the upgrade was performed using the administration menu.

(4) one thing I noticed was that the firmware requires you to log in via browser and set a password before the unit would respond to a ping. strange design choice, huh?

(5) other than that the upgrade appears to have gone smoothly.

(6) anyone know if there is a test suite or test protocol document?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: