Bricked: Didn't wait long enough when installing mini DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
gosuexac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:14    Post subject: Bricked: Didn't wait long enough when installing mini DD-WRT Reply with quote
I decided to put DD-WRT onto a Cisco e4200 router that was auto updating it's (Linksys?)OS until today. The e4200 had DHCP turned off (I was in the middle of setting up the network, the other two routers were done and working). The e4200 had internet connectivity already, but I needed to reserve an IP address for the server, which I couldn't do after turning off DHCP (thus upgrading to DD-WRT). On my laptop I disabled DHCP, and immediately began uploading the mini-firmware. After what must not have been 300 seconds, I accidentally unplugged the RJ45 from the modem. I waited a for about a minute, and performed a 30-30-30 reset after seeing no response on my laptop (no "login" prompt"). At this point I lost all connection with the e4200. The Cisco logo still glows on the router, and plugging in Ethernet cable causes one LED indicators to flash orange (for about 3s) and the green LED stays lit.

After the e4200 reset my laptop lost the connection and self-assigned itself a DHCP address, so I switched it to static mode with multiple configurations, attempting pings in each one. Apparently some people had success pinging the router's IP before connecting the cable, and then connecting and receiving a few successful pings; however, if the e4200 is working, I have not found the IP it is hiding at. I have tried for example:
Code:
ip:192.168.1.125/24 -> 192.168.1.2
ip:192.168.1.125/16 -> 192.168.1.2
ip:192.168.1.10/24 -> 192.168.1.2
ip:192.168.0.10/24 -> 192.168.0.1
ip:192.168.0.10/16 -> 192.168.0.1
ip:192.168.1.10/24 -> 192.168.1.1

I have got the following results for each of them, for example: (Mac@192.168.0.2/24 -> 192.168.0.1):
Code:
--- 192.168.0.1 ping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss
Thomas:~ thomas$ ping -t 6 192.168.0.1
PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: No route to host
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
Request timeout for icmp_seq 3
Request timeout for icmp_seq 4

Sometimes I only get the Request timeout for icmp_seq X message.

I noticed that there is a USB slot in the router, but I haven't heard anything about people booting from USB images. I have 30-30-30 reset the router and still have the same problem, leading me to conclude the original OS is gone. I have heard that clearing the NVRAM should work, but AFAIK I cannot do this. Does anyone have any suggestions before I resign myself to a new router?

Additional notes:
    -The e4200 does not show up on the connected router's list of connected devices. (It did before I bricked(?) it).

-I do not know what exact IP my laptop was connecting to the router from before I reset it because the DHCP settings were erased from my network settings menu when the connection died. I wrote down the connected server's 192.168.1.125/24 connection beforehand though.

-Wireless was disabled prior to uploading the firmware (and it's access-point does not re-appear when power-cycling the e4200).

-I am aware that running a server behind (multiple!) consumer-grade routers is a stupid idea; the server is very hobbyist in nature, though I would of course like to have it up and running!

Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
See peacock announcement note x6
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
MongooseProXC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alternatively, some Linksys routers have a Management Mode for recovery. It may be worth a try.

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=140001
gosuexac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:

I'm not sure that you read my post. I read the peacock thread; however, it is impossible for me to use the methods described therein to fix the router when I cannot get pings through to find what IP it is on because DHCP is turned off...

MongooseProXC wrote:
Alternatively, some Linksys routers have a Management Mode for recovery. It may be worth a try.

Thank you very much, your 30-5-5 method worked perfectly the first try. I'll throw in my vote to update the Peacock thread (every link recommended the 30-30-30 reset).
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
gosuexac wrote:
Murrkf wrote:

I'm not sure that you read my post. I read the peacock thread; however, it is impossible for me to use the methods described therein to fix the router when I cannot get pings through to find what IP it is on because DHCP is turned off...

MongooseProXC wrote:

Thank you very much, your 30-5-5 method worked perfectly the first try. I'll throw in my vote to update the Peacock thread (every link recommended the 30-30-30 reset).

Management mode options and that EXACT link are already in note 6.... So are the subsequent steps of fixing it using a cable. You didn't read fully.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: