Problems with 27560

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
RjG
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
r27560M
I can't make QOS rate limiting work
(Start QOS=Enable || Default Bandwidth Level || Enable Per User Default Limits @ 100 each on WAN). It doesn't do anything at all. Or on LAN + WLAN either.

So then I tried Access restrictions....
first I tried "Blocked Services : youtube " FILTER Everyday 24hrs for the kid's IP range, that didnt' work either, no effect. Then I added URL block youtube.com. No effect. This doesn't work either?

Am I doing it wrong? Do I need to reboot the router after each change or something? Or if this works on a previous KONG version, let me know, I can flash back to it.

( My kids are watching youtube HD for hours a day while I'm working, and my ISP just starting billing me for overage. I had to pay money last week for excessive streaming video. I'd really like to use something in my router to limit YOUTUBE HD. If I can't limit it, I'll have to block it at least some of the day)

Any insight will be appreciated, thanks

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r27560M kongac (08/08/15)
Sponsor
HalfBit
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
RjG wrote:
r27560M
I can't make QOS rate limiting work
(Start QOS=Enable || Default Bandwidth Level || Enable Per User Default Limits @ 100 each on WAN). It doesn't do anything at all. Or on LAN + WLAN either.

So then I tried Access restrictions....
first I tried "Blocked Services : youtube " FILTER Everyday 24hrs for the kid's IP range, that didnt' work either, no effect. Then I added URL block youtube.com. No effect. This doesn't work either?

Am I doing it wrong? Do I need to reboot the router after each change or something? Or if this works on a previous KONG version, let me know, I can flash back to it.

( My kids are watching youtube HD for hours a day while I'm working, and my ISP just starting billing me for overage. I had to pay money last week for excessive streaming video. I'd really like to use something in my router to limit YOUTUBE HD. If I can't limit it, I'll have to block it at least some of the day)

Any insight will be appreciated, thanks

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r27560M kongac (08/08/15)

Have you looked into OpenDNS? We have a filter on the computer as well as OpenDNS on the router for other devices that might be on our network.

WRT54Gv2
WRT54Gv8.2
~~~~~~~~~~Other Settings~~~~~~~~~
https://nextdns.io/?from=2d3sq39x
https://pi-hole.net/
https://github.com/DNSCrypt/dnscrypt-proxy
RjG
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the advise. I looked at it, but they only have Ipads, so it's maybe not the best solution in this particular case. I'll leave it on the table though.

Can anyone confirm QOS rate limit, or the block rules,
work (or don't work) in r27560M or any of the later dd-wrt versions?
rseiler
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
27506 (note, a different build than you), straight-up does nothing for me. Maybe it depends on the router, since there's no way this is a general problem or there would be lots of discussion about it.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=285126

Update: Just tried with 27560, which coincidentally is the latest build for my router: no difference.
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
QoS works. It works better than ever. Rate limiting and such...

The thing that don't work is some nDPI filters. So Access Restriction and QoS service priority for some filters do not work. Such as youtube, whats app, ftp... it is not ddwrt bug but nDPI or lets say compatibility of linux kernel and netfilter module xt_nDPI... you can read about it here: https://github.com/ntop/nDPI/issues/22
rseiler
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, Mile-Lile, thanks for that.

It sounds like that issue would affect kernels 3.x and higher, while mine still uses 2.4.37.

But I'm not even getting that far. Is it normal that you can now set Uplink to some incredibly low non-zero number (as a test) and still have full upload speeds in bandwidth tests afterwards?

Because that absolutely was never the case in classic versions (e.g.14929) and seemingly flies in the face of the first step that someone takes in configuring QoS, which is setting Uplink to 90% (or so) of your real bandwidth. I thought that was for a good reason.
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
rseiler wrote:
Is it normal that you can now set Uplink to some incredibly low non-zero number (as a test) and still have full upload speeds in bandwidth tests afterwards?

No it is not normal, in fact why would you then need QoS?
I have UL 1Mbps (have DSL). When I set it to 900kbps speedtest shows 900kbps... when I set it to 128kbps speedtest works very slow and shows 110-130 kbps... so, it is working for me... it is working no matter if I use LAN^WLAN or WAN port priority.... but I have Atheros... you say that you are on 2.6 kernel so I asume you have Broadcom...?
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
setting DL/UL to 90%/80% was because of sometnihg called "bandwidth overhead"...
rseiler
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, thanks for confirming that basic element is still the same. I thought it had to be but didn't know.

Yes, I'm Broadcom, and I suppose RjG is too since he started the thread. It'll take more posters to determine common denominators.
RjG
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, Broadcom,
Netgear R7000 running DD-WRT v3.0-r27560M kongac (08/08/15)

Still not working for me either. I have Yamon2 installed. I can see 250 KB/s streams passing through, even after setting 100 "WAN Bandwidth in kbits Down"

(yes, limit is 100 kbits, actual is 250 kBytes)
rseiler
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mile-Lile wrote:
setting DL/UL to 90%/80% was because of sometnihg called "bandwidth overhead"...

I had missed your second message.

Just so I'm clear, you're not saying that there's now no point to setting values in Uplink (and Downlink, if you choose, but I don't bother with that one), are you?

You used the word "was" as if it was something done in the past but is no longer necessary/recommended, but you could have easily meant it a different way.
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not quite good with english:(
If you want QoS to work you STILL need to set DL/UL to 90%/80%... As far as I know home users do not have something called here in Serbia "granted bandwidth"... I have 10/1 Mbps on DSL... But my speedtest always show 8.9/0.8 Mbps... so when I use QoS I never enter 10/1 because it wouldn't work. You STILL need to enter these values to DL/UL if I understood you question?
rseiler
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Understood, thanks.

@RjG, I think we'll just have to sit back and wait now. Surely someone will come along who can more precisely identify what's happening for some. If it's possible to edit the title of this thread, that might help.
RjG
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Really, nothing fit the requirement perfectly for me anyway, it's just annoying none of the things I tried worked at all.

My goal would be to just rate-limit YOUTUBE. Their server probes you and auto-adusts the resolution according to how fast it thinks it can transmit to you. And there goes 450 gig of data... which is ridiculous for 2 kids with tiny IPAD minis with 9" screens that you don't even know you're watching 720P or 1080.

I'd like a bandwidth limit, PER USER, YOUTUBE only.
I'm sure there's a way with commands like here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=487085

The kids are back in school in a week anyway now. It would be nice to figure it out by next holidays though Smile
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could do bandwidth limit, PER USER, YOUTUBE only... try same with viber and you will see that it is working but nDPI filter for youtube do not work... as I stated before it is not ddwrt fault but nDPI or lets say kernel and netfilter nDPI module... so, write to nDPI developers. Youtube uses https so nDPI is best way for recognizing YT traffic but

Quote:
The "ndpi-netfilter" projects with logical structure based on "ewildgoose" model don't work well nowadays.

Only one exclusive "conntrack notify" call: For this reason, it cann't be used in conjunction with nfnetlink. But, when you remove the nfnetlink kernel module, the conntrack application wont works anymore.

The web host detection depends on http or ssl protocols enabled: Youtube or Facebook protocols are not external modules (like /usr/src/nDPI/src/lib/protocols/*).
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: