Assigning R8000 2nd 5GHz Radio to Wireless Bridge Function

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
insahnity
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 18:53    Post subject: Assigning R8000 2nd 5GHz Radio to Wireless Bridge Function Reply with quote
I'm hoping the thread title is self explanatory. Can this be done?

I'd like to use one (or more) R8k's to wireless bridge (or bridge amongst themselves) with a 5 GHz radio while still offering 2.4 & the other 5 Ghz radio for service to clients within its reach. I'm hoping DD-WRT can do it, I've used DD-WRT wireless bridges with old routers to provide wired access, so I am vaguely familiar with some of the setup.

I suppose this question really applies to any AC3200 class routers, not just the R8000.
Sponsor
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 19:34    Post subject: Re: Assigning R8000 2nd 5GHz Radio to Wireless Bridge Functi Reply with quote
insahnity wrote:
I'd like to use one (or more) R8k's to wireless bridge (or bridge amongst themselves) with a 5 GHz radio while still offering 2.4 & the other 5 Ghz radio for service to clients within its reach.
Yes, in general at least; I've not tried this w/ a dual radio router, nor even have any AC routers. Setup the desired radio as a client bridge and the other(a) as AP. Start here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers#Client_.2F_Client_Bridge
Related threads:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=277563
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=267665

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Ah-Pin-Kor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've configured my 890L to have 5G-2 in client mode (the AP is an AC68U using RMerlin). I don't use any virtual interfaces and can access the 2.4 and 5G-1 bands.
When I've got the time, I'll try to convert it to client bridge mode.

Netgear R7800 kongpro 19.07 20190919 || Netgear R7000 36070M kongac (Client Bridge=5GHz, AP=2.4GHz with bridged VAP)
Linksys WRT32X davidc502 OpenWrt || Linksys WRT1200ACv1 Gargoyle 1.11.x
Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 dd-wrt 39956
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 19:00    Post subject: Re: Assigning R8000 2nd 5GHz Radio to Wireless Bridge Functi Reply with quote
insahnity wrote:

I'd like to use one (or more) R8k's to wireless bridge (or bridge amongst themselves) with a 5 GHz radio while still offering 2.4 & the other 5 Ghz radio for service to clients within its reach. I'm hoping DD-WRT can do it, I've used DD-WRT wireless bridges with old routers to provide wired access, so I am vaguely familiar with some of the setup.

I suppose this question really applies to any AC3200 class routers, not just the R8000.

No, Wireless repeater bridge doesn't work yet. I have tested this using 5Gz radio so many times and reverted back.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 19:35    Post subject: Re: Assigning R8000 2nd 5GHz Radio to Wireless Bridge Functi Reply with quote
labo wrote:
insahnity wrote:

No, Wireless repeater bridge doesn't work yet. I have tested this using 5Gz radio so many times and reverted back.

It works here, but it takes some time until the connection to the AP is established, once it is up it works fine.
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 17:10    Post subject: Re: Assigning R8000 2nd 5GHz Radio to Wireless Bridge Functi Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
labo wrote:
insahnity wrote:

No, Wireless repeater bridge doesn't work yet. I have tested this using 5Ghz radio so many times and reverted back.

It works here, but it takes some time until the connection to the AP is established, once it is up it works fine.

Kong,
I should have given more detailed reply.
I have three AC-RT68 wireless repeater bridges connected via 5Ghz(VHT80) to R7000 which is the main router..
This configuration is working rock solid.
When I replace R7000 with R8000 it works fine as long as if don't reboot the wireless repeater bridges or until the power outage.
The repeater bridges don't connect back if rebooted or in the event of power outage(repeater bridges will show signal strength "0")

The only way to make it work again is to access the wireless setup page of the repeater bridges' using wired connection manually and apply the wireless settings page again.

The same goes true when I update the firmware. The wireless repeater bridges wont connect back after the firmware update.
You will have to manually connect and apply wireless setting to make it work again.
Thanks,
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 20:41    Post subject: Re: Assigning R8000 2nd 5GHz Radio to Wireless Bridge Functi Reply with quote
labo wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
labo wrote:
insahnity wrote:

No, Wireless repeater bridge doesn't work yet. I have tested this using 5Ghz radio so many times and reverted back.

Kong,
I should have given more detailed reply.
I have three AC-RT68 wireless repeater bridges connected via 5Ghz(VHT80) to R7000 which is the main router..
This configuration is working rock solid.
When I replace R7000 with R8000 it works fine as long as if don't reboot the wireless repeater bridges or until the power outage.
The repeater bridges don't connect back if rebooted or in the event of power outage(repeater bridges will show signal strength "0")

The only way to make it work again is to access the wireless setup page of the repeater bridges' using wired connection manually and apply the wireless settings page again.

The same goes true when I update the firmware. The wireless repeater bridges wont connect back after the firmware update.
You will have to manually connect and apply wireless setting to make it work again.
Thanks,

We will see how things go with the updated driver that BS is currently adding to svn.
Magnetron1.1
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
On the R8000, Repeater Mode works but I couldn't get Repeater Bridge to work properly.

@labo --- You might be interested in this:

Symptoms of a broken R7000 RB and how to fix:

Create this start-up script on the R7000RB:
Code:

#!/bin/sh

###################
# Fix Repeater Bridge #
# Ver. 1.0  8-18-2015  #
###################

sleep 5
startstop lan

Start-up script saved on RB:

Now reboot the RB:

NOTE: This script also works on the Buffalo WZR-D1800H and WZR-1750DHP routers, but will not fix the R8000 router.
If a VAP (Virtual Access Point) is setup on the same radio as the Repeater Bridge then RB works as it should without resorting to any trickery on the R7000. Go figure.

- Magnetron1.1
insahnity
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi All,

This may be a more pedestrian question, but I'm still a huge noob when it comes to DD-WRT. According to the wiki I read on repeater brdiges, http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Quote:
The limitation with standard bridging is that it only allows wired clients to connect to your secondary router. Wireless clients cannot connect to your secondary router configured as a standard bridge. Repeater bridge allows wireless AND wired clients to connect to a the repeater bridge router, and through that device wirelessly to a primary router. You can still use this mode if you only need to bridge wired clients; the extra wireless repeater capability comes along for free however you are not required to use it.

Is this a case only when you have a single radio and have to setup a virtual SSID on the same radio as your bridge, or does this information apply to multi-radio doohickies?

As of right now, although I haven't had much time to devote to the problem (life getting in the way and all), I've got it setup (successfully joined as a client), but I can't get a bridge going, either as a client bridge or as a repeater bridge.

(Setup is:)

DSL WAN <Wired> Stock E4200 <5Ghz to Wireless 5G-2> DD-WRT R8000 with one of Kong's personal builds (Sept 12ish) <Wired> Laptop

I've had issues in the past with the continuous disconnects with previous routers (an old 1st gen N150 cisco hunkajunk, another old TP-Link N300) but I have seen multiple posts regarding installing keepalive scripts but never implemented them as I disbanded the wireless bridge setup before fixing it.

In this case I can't even get it up once. Some of the problems I suspect (but haven't investigated yet):
-My E4200 has auto-channel, while my R8000 is set statically (I don't anticipate any frequency hoping occuring, the 5 Ghz band is completely clear, all competition is on 2.4 side)
-My stock E4200 2.4Ghz SSID is identical to the 5Ghz SSID... I heard this can cause problems? I didn't think it would since I'm forcing the use of 5G-2 as a repeater bridge[/i]
-I haven't investigated channel width (but again, it's all clear)
-Haven't tried setting up bridge with no security on both sides yet.
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Magnetron1.1 wrote:
On the R8000, Repeater Mode works but I couldn't get Repeater Bridge to work properly.

@labo --- You might be interested in this:

Symptoms of a broken R7000 RB and how to fix:[/color][/b] This script also works on the Buffalo WZR-D1800H and WZR-1750DHP routers, but will not fix the R8000 router.
If a VAP (Virtual Access Point) is setup on the same radio as the Repeater Bridge then RB works as it should without resorting to any trickery on the R7000. Go figure.

- Magnetron1.1

Thanks! Magnetron, Yes this takes care of R7000 issue with repeater bridges.
I was able to update firmware on all three of my RT-AC68 repeater brides remotely and rebooting worked fine.
However on R8000 it is still an issue even with the latest Kong's firmware.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: