Did I just brick my router?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Bklynrx7
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:18    Post subject: Did I just brick my router? Reply with quote
I checked #6 in the peacock thread but all the testing there doesnt really apply in my case, which is what I am afraid of. I followed these steps from another post on this forum:
botva wrote:

take it, but take care also Smile
1. flash initial firmware.
2. perform full reset 30-30-30.
3. go to 192.168.1.1 and flash full version of firmware.
4. perform full reset 30-30-30.
please note, wan port can migrate to lan4 (in previous versions it happen), so try to connect via all ports, if you will have connection problem.
have a fun Smile

After I completed step 4 the router is completely unresponsive. The power light is lit and the 5G light blinks now and then, but very infrequently. The computer just shows that network cable is unplugged. I tried a bounce, hard reset, 30-30-30, recovery mode, changing the lan port, and restarting the pc/nic and its still the same. Needless to say I was unable to ping it. Does this mean its dead? Thank in advance for your help.

ASUS RT-N53
dd-wrt.v24-25309-NEWD-2_K2.6
Sponsor
Ah-Pin-Kor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
How did you do the 30-30-30?
For Asus N53, you should use the WPS button:
unplug power, hold down wps button, plug in power, keep wps pressed for 30 seconds and then release. nvram should be cleared.

Netgear R7800 kongpro 19.07 20190919 || Netgear R7000 36070M kongac (Client Bridge=5GHz, AP=2.4GHz with bridged VAP)
Linksys WRT32X davidc502 OpenWrt || Linksys WRT1200ACv1 Gargoyle 1.11.x
Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 dd-wrt 39956
Bklynrx7
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah-Pin-Kor wrote:
How did you do the 30-30-30?
For Asus N53, you should use the WPS button:
unplug power, hold down wps button, plug in power, keep wps pressed for 30 seconds and then release. nvram should be cleared.

Thanks a lot, that did the trick and brought it back to life. The firmware still doesn't work but I can access it so I can keep trying. This is going to be the 3rd time trying and I keep ending up in the same place. Can you tell me if Im doing something wrong? Here is what I have been doing:
1)put the router into recovery mode
2)flash dd-wrt.v24-25309_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N53.trx
3) 30-30-30
4)after the router reboots it prompts me to upload a firmware and I upload dd-wrt.v24-25309_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin

After that I have not seen the router come back on. The page tells me its going to reboot and doesnt change.Only the power light is lit. Ive clicked continue, hard reset, 30-30-30 ect and the new firmware never loads. I read on another forum that some people had issues with asus routers taking a very long time to flash tomato, so this time I am going to just let it sit and wait a few hours before I touch it, and see what happens. Thanks again for your advice.
Ah-Pin-Kor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe try big instead of mega for the 2nd flash.

Netgear R7800 kongpro 19.07 20190919 || Netgear R7000 36070M kongac (Client Bridge=5GHz, AP=2.4GHz with bridged VAP)
Linksys WRT32X davidc502 OpenWrt || Linksys WRT1200ACv1 Gargoyle 1.11.x
Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 dd-wrt 39956
Bklynrx7
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah-Pin-Kor wrote:
Maybe try big instead of mega for the 2nd flash.

Thanks for the idea. I couldn't find a "big" variant of 25309 and i tried redoing the whole process with 21061. Im actually worse off now than I was before. Even if I flash the trx that worked originally I no longer get to the page asking me to upload the firmware. 192.168.1.1 is unreachable. Im going to try putting back the stock asus firmware and starting over if this doesn't work on my next few attempts.
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just as a note, dont upload anything to that webpage in between bootup if rescue mode was successful. You are basically doing what you just did in recovery mode so its resetting itself everytime you upload that firmware.

Its a mini-cfe upgrade server for softbricked firmwares that allows you to reflash incase you cant get a gui but still have network connectivity (easier to use than rescue mode).

Latest builds are in my signature. The router database is outdated and isnt currently managed. If you're pulling firmware from there, try the latest 2.6 or 3.x kernel builds on that ftp site (try 2.6 first under broadcom k2.6, then k3.x if you need more modern features). The 2.6 for your router comes in mini while the 3.x firmware comes in mega.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
MDA400 wrote:
Just as a note, dont upload anything to that webpage in between bootup if rescue mode was successful. You are basically doing what you just did in recovery mode so its resetting itself everytime you upload that firmware.

Its a mini-cfe upgrade server for softbricked firmwares that allows you to reflash incase you cant get a gui but still have network connectivity (easier to use than rescue mode).

Latest builds are in my signature. The router database is outdated and isnt currently managed. If you're pulling firmware from there, try the latest 2.6 or 3.x kernel builds on that ftp site (try 2.6 first under broadcom k2.6, then k3.x if you need more modern features). The 2.6 for your router comes in mini while the 3.x firmware comes in mega.

Thanks for the links. I tried uploading one from your signature and Im still ending up in the same place as the last post. I loaded dd-wrt.v24-27858_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N53.trx through the asus tool, and it said its reloading, but 192.168.1.1 remains unreachable. The power light is lit and the 5g light blinks on and off slowly. I just realized that the Ethernet adapter keeps switching between "identifying" and "network cable unplugged". If I flash the asus firmware back on using the tool, it boots up perfectly.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
You might have the different revision of the rt-n53. Look at this thread.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=916189

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
maybe i am reading it wrong but is the initial flash with the mini build working. they way it reads it seems like you haven't logged into the mini build yet but you're trying to upgrade to the mega. still a novice so maybe i'm not getting it.
Bklynrx7
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
thenotwellman wrote:
maybe i am reading it wrong but is the initial flash with the mini build working. they way it reads it seems like you haven't logged into the mini build yet but you're trying to upgrade to the mega. still a novice so maybe i'm not getting it.

thenotwellman wrote:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I initially loaded the mini trx file. It seemed to work fine and I saw a broadcom page asking me to upload the new firmware at which point I uploaded the BIN I previously listed. I was unable to access 192.168.1.1 at all after this point. I can flash the stock asus firmware back onto the router and it works fine but dd-wrt never loads. I tried 3 different build and sizes.

I have noticed some additional behaviors that I am hoping might help narrow down the problem. After my last attempt, I am still unable to access 192.168.1.1 but it seems like dd-wrt may be loaded on the router in some way. the router appears to be resetting itself over and over again. The power light is constantly on but the 5g light goes on and off intermittency. When plugged in the lan flips back and forth between "identifying" and "network cable unplugged", and most recently I noticed a "ddwrt" ssid showing up in the area then disappearing over and over again.

Hopefully this new info is helpful. Thank again to all of you for trying to help me out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: