Connection to a DirecTV genie does not work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:09    Post subject: Connection to a DirecTV genie does not work Reply with quote
I did my search on a similar topic in these forums but apparently none is the same as my problem, so please help me.

My setup is a Zoom cable modem followed by an Asus RT-AC66u running dd-wrt v3.0-r28072. Everything works flawlessly, including forwarding ports such as ssh (22) telnet (23), etc. to different clients in my LAN. The problem is my connection via ethernet to a DirecTV Genie machine. I can ping or see this machine on the Status->LAN of my router but the Genie machine refuses to connect to the internet. I tried forwarding ports 8082 and 8082 or 27177 and 27178 but no avail. I also assigned DMZ to that IP but it was unsuccessful. I gave a static IP to the Genie by DHCP reservation. What is interesting is that if I bypass the router, that is connecting the cable modem directly to the Genie it works. Also if I use an Asus modem with stock firmware (TM-AC1900) it also works. I wonder if anybody experienced the same problem.

Many thanks in advance.

Daniel
Sponsor
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, I am a directv sub contractor.

Please give the full model Numbers of your router and modem. And which genie do you have? Hr34, h44, hr44, or hr54?

EDIT: you mention port forwarding. are you making sure that you have set stb service port to 27177 and audio services port to 27178 in network services?
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I'll give you all these details as soon as I get home. As I remember I also tried with port triggering. Again, my port forwarding settings for other ports work just fine. Also, if I bi-pass the router it works fine. When you say about stb and audio services on the router, can you be more precise on these?

Thanks.
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

Here is the information you requested:

Genie: HR44 - 500

Router: ASUS RT-AC66U

Modem: Zoom 7d55 Model 5352

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks,

Daniel
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
i looked up your modem and it looks like it is a MODEM/ROUTER combo. you need to replace that modem/router combo with just a modem. then you will be able to use your dd-wrt router properly.

i have tried doing a setup similar to yours except it was with a century link router. it would not work until the century link modem/router combo was put into transparent bridge mode. then the genie began working again.
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, the zoom is a modem/router combo but is configured only as a modem, all the routing features are disabled (bridging), so the routing is done by the ASUS RT-66u exclusively running dd-wrt.

Daniel
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you power down the modem and reboot it after setting it to bridge mode?
Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I did it many times - the modem has been running in bridge mode for over a year without any issues. In fact I'm sure that it has nothing to do with the modem, when I bi-pass the router the genie machine gets on the internet. It must be something in the code or settings of the router that is impeding the internet connection.
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for the late responses. I'm out in the field from Fridays to Tuesdays during he fall and spring season.

-anyway-

Did you flash your router with a newer buid?
Did you try an older build?
Did you try a Kong build?
Did you...

Turn off modem and router
Turn on router
Give it a minute
And then modem?

If it's directly from router to genie, then there should not be any problems there.

Also, I made a video on how to get to network settings. Will upload that later here.

I will send you a pm.
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finally I got my hands on a TM-AC1900 (Asus RT-68u) with the stock firmware. It connects to the Genie device without problems. So apparently there is some wrinkle in the DD-WRT firmware that is impeding the connection. Or there is some setting to be modified in the Advance tab?
dpeters11
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't have the same equipment, but my HR44 connects to the Internet fine through DD-WRT on my R7000.
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried with the RT-66u with different dd-wrt builds, with a vintage wrt-54g also with different builds. Directv replaced the Genie thinking that it was bad. I even changed modems.

Did you do any configuration different than the default that appears right after flashing dd-wrt?

Thanks.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
You probably have to enable and set up Multicast in dd-wrt.
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll try it tonight. You mentioned "set up", is there anything else to be done besides unchecking "Filter Multicast" in the Security tab?

Thanks a lot
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
The router may go into congestion if you push the muliticast out on the WiFi interfaces.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: