Linksys E4200 Firmware Upgrade Fail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
skyking_comms
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 22:32    Post subject: Linksys E4200 Firmware Upgrade Fail Reply with quote
I'm trying to install DD-WRT onto a v1 E4200 router. The current firmware is 1.0.05 - I've done the 30/30/30 reset, but when I go to upgrade firmware I get an error UPGRADE FAILED about 4% into the upgrade.

I've tried firmware 21676 as per this page - http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E4200

I've also tried firmware 21061 as per the Router Database

A while ago I upgraded a E1200 to DD-WRT which worked fine so wondering what the problem is with the E4200?

Appreciate any help!

Darren

fail.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.34 KB
 Viewed:  9186 Time(s)

fail.jpg

Sponsor
skyking_comms
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have also just tried an old Win Vista machine, using both IE and Firefox with Firewall turned off and it still says upgrade failed...

I noticed that Linksys released a firmware upgrade v1.0.06 - I downloaded it and tried installing it. It gets to 6% and then comes up upgrade failed. Mmmmmmn
native_tx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I received the same Error when I tried to flash mine but usually doing the hard reset does the trick. I normally go by the clock that has seconds running for an accurate time and setup a static ip when i reflashed dd-wrt mini then to big but that was when the peacock thread was introduced for the E4200. You stated you followed the thread and disabled windows firewall, you are using v.1 which is good, the browsers shouldn't matter all that much except to maybe clear the cache browsing history, try the static ip another hard reset
skyking_comms
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't believe I have just spent another 2 hours on this tonight. Yes I'm using a stop watch so the time should be right. I thought it nearly worked on my windows 10 laptop with Edge. It got to 20% and failed.
I tried different network cables as well.

As a last resort I tried following the instructions at the bottom of this thread to install Firmware V 1.0.06 - https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/E4200-Firmware-Upgrade-failed-Cannot-access-Linksys/td-p/446133

But I got a message saying Error on server : Invalid Password.

Completely stumped!
native_tx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
skyking_comms wrote:
I can't believe I have just spent another 2 hours on this tonight. Yes I'm using a stop watch so the time should be right. I thought it nearly worked on my windows 10 laptop with Edge. It got to 20% and failed.

As a last resort I tried following the instructions at the bottom of this thread to install Firmware V 1.0.06 - https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/E4200-Firmware-Upgrade-failed-Cannot-access-Linksys/td-p/446133

Completely stumped!

I replied to your one message i just forgot to ask if you are connected to the ethernet port of the router not using the wan? I'm pretty sure you are using the ethernet port. Yes the error is something to do with the uploading the firmware is being interrupted sometimes from popup blockers from the browser cause problems, windows firewall can cause issues disable them for the time being create your static ip as explained from the user from the linksys community and try again
skyking_comms
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
native_tx wrote:
skyking_comms wrote:

Completely stumped!

I replied to your one message i just forgot to ask if you are connected to the ethernet port of the router not using the wan? I'm pretty sure you are using the ethernet port. Yes the error is something to do with the uploading the firmware is being interrupted sometimes from popup blockers from the browser cause problems, windows firewall can cause issues disable them for the time being create your static ip as explained from the user from the linksys community and try again

Thanks for the reply - Yes I'm plugging it into one of the 4 Ethernet ports (I've tried them all). I have assigned a static IP but it still fails below 10%. I deleted all browsing history in IE and also turned off the pop up blockers and its still failing. Must have tried the procedure about 30 time now. I still find it strange that the normal Linksys firmware update fails so wondering if it's a hardware problem with the router rather than software.

I only bought it as I thought it would be a good upgrade over the E1200, especially as it has a USB port.

Welcome any other ideas or I will end up selling it, as it works fine as a normal wifi router.

Darren
native_tx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
skyking_comms wrote:
native_tx wrote:
skyking_comms wrote:

Completely stumped!

Thanks for the reply - Yes I'm plugging it into one of the 4 Ethernet ports (I've tried them all). I have assigned a static IP but it still fails below 10%. I deleted all browsing history in IE and also turned off the pop up blockers and its still failing. Must have tried the procedure about 30 time now. I still find it strange that the normal Linksys firmware update fails so wondering if it's a hardware problem with the router rather than software.

I only bought it as I thought it would be a good upgrade over the E1200, especially as it has a USB port.

Welcome any other ideas or I will end up selling it, as it works fine as a normal wifi router.

Darren

That linksys community thread mentioned that he used a tftp to install his firmware. Did you follow those instructions? Here is what was written

Download known working firmware for your Linksys router. Rename the bin file to works.bin and move it to your desktop
Connect your PC to the broken Linksys router via an Ethernet cable choose any port 1-4
Navigate to Start->Control Panel->Network Connections and double click the Local Area Connection icon. Click the Properties button and double click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) from the list
Click the option to Use the following IP address: and set it up as follows and then click Ok:
IP address: 192.168.1.10
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
Next, navigate to Start->Run and type cmd and click Ok
Repeat step 5. You should now have two command windows open
From the first command window type cd Desktop and press enter. Next, type PING -t 192.168.1.1 but DO NOT PRESS enter yet
From the Second command windows type cd Desktop and press enter. Next, type tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT works.bin but DO NOT PRESS enter yet
From the first command window press enter. Immediately following, press enter from the second command window
After the firmware has been uploaded, you should be able to reset your Linksys router and log into the Linksys admin panel

Additional notes: The upload needs to occur within a five second window, so you may not be successful the first time! Sometimes it takes multiple tries before you get the router to accept the upload.
skyking_comms
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
native_tx wrote:
skyking_comms wrote:
native_tx wrote:
skyking_comms wrote:

Completely stumped!

Darren

That linksys community thread mentioned that he used a tftp to install his firmware. Did you follow those instructions? Here is what was written

Download known working firmware for your Linksys router. Rename the bin file to works.bin and move it to your desktop
Connect your PC to the broken Linksys router via an Ethernet cable choose any port 1-4
Navigate to Start->Control Panel->Network Connections and double click the Local Area Connection icon. Click the Properties button and double click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) from the list
Click the option to Use the following IP address: and set it up as follows and then click Ok:
From the first command window type cd Desktop and press enter. Next, type PING -t 192.168.1.1 but DO NOT PRESS enter yet
From the Second command windows type cd Desktop and press enter. Next, type tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT works.bin but DO NOT PRESS enter yet
From the first command window press enter. Immediately following, press enter from the second command window
After the firmware has been uploaded, you should be able to reset your Linksys router and log into the Linksys admin panel

Additional notes: The upload needs to occur within a five second window, so you may not be successful the first time! Sometimes it takes multiple tries before you get the router to accept the upload.

Yes I did try it and on my Windows machine I get this error when hitting enter on the tftp command prompt -
'Error on server : Invalid Password !! '

I then found this Linksys TFTP tool where you can add a password - but even when I run that it says no response with server. http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=137928

Like mentioned before I can still get into the Cisco menu and make changes which update fine - It just doesn't like firmware updates for some unknown reasons
native_tx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
skyking_comms wrote:
native_tx wrote:
skyking_comms wrote:
native_tx wrote:
skyking_comms wrote:

Completely stumped!

Darren

Yes I did try it and on my Windows machine I get this error when hitting enter on the tftp command prompt -
'Error on server : Invalid Password !! '

I then found this Linksys TFTP tool where you can add a password - but even when I run that it says no response with server. http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=137928

Like mentioned before I can still get into the Cisco menu and make changes which update fine - It just doesn't like firmware updates for some unknown reasons

I never heard of such needed tasks to updating firmware turn into a difficult and frustrating issue. have contacted linksys tech support to see if you can send it back for rma? if you purchased it at a local store maybe return it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: