Linksys ea8500 port is ready

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 123, 124, 125  Next
no.25
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 16:37    Post subject: Re: Wireless Multicast Streaming on EA8500 Reply with quote
no.25 wrote:
So how can I set up wireless Multicast streaming on the EA8500 DD-WRT r34800 kongat?

I tried the same with BS build r33772. The "iwconfig ath0/1 frag <opt>" command doesn't allow changing fragmentation threshold on BS build too (frag "not supported"). The feature seams to be not supported in DD-WRT for Qualcomm platform: http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/4839

Next step I did today was to test the original Linksys stock firmware. I updated to version 1.1.7.1829 ("for other regions") and connected to a multicast stream without any problems, even in HD 720p.

This means that actually none of the DD-WRT versions (KONG / BS) for EA8500 are able to do wireless multicast streaming and I would have to stick with stock firmware to be able to?

Any ideas how to set this up properly or is it not possible at the moment?
Sponsor
derickz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am running a DD-WRT v3.0-r33607 std (10/25/17), it has been stable for weeks before I lost the power.
no.25
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
derickz wrote:
I am running a DD-WRT v3.0-r33607 std (10/25/17), it has been stable for weeks before I lost the power.

Did you do wireless multicast streaming with r33607?
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 14:53    Post subject: Re: Wireless Multicast Streaming on EA8500 Reply with quote
no.25 wrote:
no.25 wrote:
So how can I set up wireless Multicast streaming on the EA8500 DD-WRT r34800 kongat?

I tried the same with BS build r33772. The "iwconfig ath0/1 frag <opt>" command doesn't allow changing fragmentation threshold on BS build too (frag "not supported"). The feature seams to be not supported in DD-WRT for Qualcomm platform: http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/4839

Next step I did today was to test the original Linksys stock firmware. I updated to version 1.1.7.1829 ("for other regions") and connected to a multicast stream without any problems, even in HD 720p.

This means that actually none of the DD-WRT versions (KONG / BS) for EA8500 are able to do wireless multicast streaming and I would have to stick with stock firmware to be able to?

Any ideas how to set this up properly or is it not possible at the moment?

Have you tried to go to Security>Firewall and look in the section "Block WAN Requests" and uncheck Filter Multicast?
no.25
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 21:19    Post subject: Re: Wireless Multicast Streaming on EA8500 Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
Have you tried to go to Security>Firewall and look in the section "Block WAN Requests" and uncheck Filter Multicast?

SPI Firewall is disabled. No blocking options enabled. The EA8500 is behind a Cisco 2960G Switch with enabled IGMPv3. LAN connections directly plugged into the cisco switch are receiving the streams as supposed.

I found out, that the Linksys stock firmware does something wrong too. The first 1-2 minutes of streaming everything is fine but then the stream stops and a still frame is shown. Some further research cleared things up. The german "Telekom Entertain" is streaming in the beginning unicast and is switching over to multicast after 2 minutes. Stock firmware cannot handle the IGMPv3 snooping.

I read that multicast doesn't really exist for wifi. There are only two ways of packet transport: unicast and multicast. The correct way to handle multicast would be to convert the multicast packages to unicast on the wifi bridge. I guess this happens when you enable igmp snooping in the setup->networking tab in DD-WRT.
Is this correct?

The multicast standard delivered by the ISP is "IGMPv3 SSM". Is this supported by DD-WRT?

Any chance to get back the "fragmentation threshold" on DD-WRT with Qualcomm? I guess this is still available with Broadcom.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
The IGMPPROXY in dd-wrt supports V3

Snooping does not convert to unicast, but the proxy only checks if a client on the interface have requested the multicast stream and only stream when requested.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:24    Post subject: Re: Wireless Multicast Streaming on EA8500 Reply with quote
no.25 wrote:
Any chance to get back the "fragmentation threshold" on DD-WRT with Qualcomm? I guess this is still available with Broadcom.

http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/4839

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

no.25
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:58    Post subject: Re: Wireless Multicast Streaming on EA8500 Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/4839

Ok, gonna wait for that. Thank you guys anyway!
ktr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 20:33    Post subject: Wireless connection drops Reply with quote
Is anyone experiencing issues with Devices dropping Internet Connection with EA8500 running Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r34015M kongat (12/10/17). This issue is not seen just on one device, but multiple PCs/Laptop, Alexa is seen losing connection periodically. In fact, when I am on laptop every few minutes, I see the connection being lost.

Any ideas what to look for. I definitely think something in not right on DD-WRT Router. I never had issues before introducing this DD-WRT router.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 21:29    Post subject: Re: Wireless connection drops Reply with quote
ktr wrote:
Is anyone experiencing issues with Devices dropping Internet Connection with EA8500 running Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r34015M kongat (12/10/17). This issue is not seen just on one device, but multiple PCs/Laptop, Alexa is seen losing connection periodically. In fact, when I am on laptop every few minutes, I see the connection being lost.

Any ideas what to look for. I definitely think something in not right on DD-WRT Router. I never had issues before introducing this DD-WRT router.

On occasion on 5ghz I would cause the router to drop 5ghz using BS's builds. A hard reboot was required to fix.

I've been running Kong's latest 34800 from 2/8/18 and have not had the drop issue happen. I think when the band is overwhelmed with traffic the 5ghz radio dies. Sometimes 5ghz would be back, more often not so much and I would have to reboot.

Try Kong's 34800 build, it's on K3.18 still.
http://mrjcd.com/Malachi/KONG-EA8500/

BTW He just posted a new build 34900, I will have to try it.
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/Test/

Last edited by msoengineer on Wed Feb 14, 2018 15:10; edited 8 times in total
ktr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 21:34    Post subject: Re: Wireless connection drops Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
ktr wrote:

On occasion on 5ghz I would cause the router to reboot using BS's builds. I've been running Kong's latest 34800 from 2/8/18 and have not had the drop issue happen. I think when the band is overwhelmed with traffic the router will reboot. Sometimes 5ghz would be back, others not so much.

Try Kong's latest 34800 build, it's on K3.18 still.

BTW He just posted a new build, I will have to try it.

I'm not seeing router rebooting, but connection keeps dropping very frequently (i would say within a hour, I would see it drop at least couple of times).
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 21:42    Post subject: Re: Wireless connection drops Reply with quote
ktr wrote:
msoengineer wrote:
ktr wrote:

On occasion on 5ghz I would cause the router to reboot using BS's builds. I've been running Kong's latest 34800 from 2/8/18 and have not had the drop issue happen. I think when the band is overwhelmed with traffic the router will reboot. Sometimes 5ghz would be back, others not so much.

Try Kong's latest 34800 build, it's on K3.18 still.

BTW He just posted a new build, I will have to try it.

I'm not seeing router rebooting, but connection keeps dropping very frequently (i would say within a hour, I would see it drop at least couple of times).

try 34800- was solid for me on wifi, no drops. I too would drop and have to reboot to make it work again, I should have been more clear by reboot. I will edit.

Trialing Kong's 34900 and so far it's smooth, but only been up and running on it 10 mins....
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
With all the drama over in Marvell land hadn’t posted here in while. Anyway still a loyal EA8500 user and all is good. We got our service upgraded to gigabit and seeing what I could get out of the EA8500. I have a mix CAT5 & CAT5E and now have one segment of CAT6 going from the EA8500 WAN to the ONT.

I may purchase some CAT6 later on but one pc is all CAT5 and is even going thru a 16 port TP-Link switch and its' my best performer. its getting the U/L speed but still coming up short of the D/L. Perhaps I'll swap out some cabling later and but will check all the Nics to see if we have the latest drivers. The EA8500 is doing OK so far but need more U/L speed. The ISP suggests to use their router for best speeds but their routers suck and can't run dd-wrt Cool

msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
05dyna wrote:
With all the drama over in Marvell land hadn’t posted here in while. Anyway still a loyal EA8500 user and all is good. We got our service upgraded to gigabit and seeing what I could get out of the EA8500. I have a mix CAT5 & CAT5E and now have one segment of CAT6 going from the EA8500 WAN to the ONT.

I may purchase some CAT6 later on but one pc is all CAT5 and is even going thru a 16 port TP-Link switch and its' my best performer. its getting the U/L speed but still coming up short of the D/L. Perhaps I'll swap out some cabling later and but will check all the Nics to see if we have the latest drivers. The EA8500 is doing OK so far but need more U/L speed. The ISP suggests to use their router for best speeds but their routers suck and can't run dd-wrt Cool

For Speed testing, use http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest
The other really good website is at https://sourceforge.net/speedtest/

DSL reports offers the most detail to help you figure out what's up. So does sound forge, but it's more buried in the results.

In terms of cabling, There's more at play with the hardware than the wiring, though a really bad cat 5e cable will prevent you from getting the 1000mbps connection and lock you into 100mbps. Many cat 5e cables will connect at 1000mbps.

Bufferbloat will kill d/l speeds.
The two best firmware's, right now, would be BS's 33555 or Kong's latest that's either in the regular area or testing area, they're both the same build as of now, V3.0 r34900.

My optimal QOS is HFSC and FQ_Codel. Then make sure all 4 boxes are checked in the TCP-Packet Priority area.

For the NIC card, check the properties of the card and see if Interrupt Moderation is turned on or off. For myself, I noticed when it's on, my latency increases big time and kills bufferbloat. With it off I get better bufferbloat results. This can kill D/L speeds too. A very selct few NIC's offer their own QOS software, NVIDIA does and KillerNetworking; those setting may be hampering D/L speeds too. Turn all that stuff off...

All that said, DD-WRT is just OK at doing QOS. K4.9+ have proven the limits of DD-WRT and QOS. That's why Kong is still releasing builds on K3.18. We all need to be asking Kong and BS to switch to CAKE QOS. That is the most latest and greatest optimized code.

A lot more trial and error will need to go into making K4.9+ viable. I think it will be quite some time before we see a decent build using K4.9+.
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ msoengineer - Thanks for the reply back, I’m using r34800M. I tired the adapter setting you mentioned and those were formerly my QOS settings without the ACK box checked but it made no difference. FWIW with the same build & router I scored all A’s over on DSLreports with the 100/30 tier. I think my next step is work backwards and connect directly to the ISP’s Wan port after spoofing the routers mac address on the NIC that way I could find out if it is the router, computer, house wiring or all of the above. BTW I didn’t need a gigabit plan but that’s what happens when you have competing ISP’s.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 123, 124, 125  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 96 of 125
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: