Asus RT-AC3100 DD-WRT Install

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
HackR10T
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:46    Post subject: Asus RT-AC3100 DD-WRT Install Reply with quote
Waddup ya'll. This is my first post in an internet forum ever. I've been leeching information from the net since the 56k days. It's time I share what I've learned with others who may be in need. I'm making this post because when I was looking for directions on how to do it I couldn't find it all in one place. So once I figured it out, I figured I'd post it up in case anybody else finds it useful. Well anyway here goes.:

Hardware: Asus RT-AC3100
Firmware: http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2015/10-09-2015-r27944/asus-rt-ac88u/asus_rt-ac88u-firmware.trx

Useful Prerequisite Information:

*router uses the reset button for recovery mode and the WPS button to hard reset.

*to put in recovery mode:
with router plug in and power button OFF
press & hold the RED RESET button
count to 10
press router power button ON
count to 10
release the RED RESET button

*to hard reset:
with router plug in and power button ON
press & hold WPS button
count 30 seconds
press router power button OFF
count 30 seconds
count 30 seconds
release WPS button

To install DD-WRT Firmware:
0) Install Asus Firmware Recovery Utility to PC
1) Do hard reset on router
2) Put router in recovery mode
3) Run the Asus Firmware Recovery Utility on PC
4) Upload compatible DD-WRT firmware/build for rt-ac3100
5) Start the recovery (if router is not in recovery mode the utility will tell you)
6) Once finished wait 5 min
7) Do hard reset on router again
8 Go to 192.168.1.1
9) Welcome to DD-WRT user/pass creation page
10) You now have DD-WRT running on your Asus RT-AC3100

*process is the same for stock.fw to DD-WRT, DD-WRT to DD-WRT, or DD-WRT to stock.fw.

Any questions, comments, or mistakes. Holla at me.
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you try to load the firmware through the gui? No need to hold the wps button multiple times.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Did you try to load the firmware through the gui? No need to hold the wps button multiple times.

I've installed a couple of builds on this router already trying to get repeater/client mode working (still to no avail). I did use the GUI once and it seemed to work fine but I also read that it is recommended to use the Asus Firmware Recovery Utility when flashing firmware on Asus routers. Just tryin to play it safe lol. Thanx for the heads up though. Using the DD-WRT GUI would save a lot of time when switching builds.
Panic Button
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 0:37    Post subject: Re: Asus RT-AC3100 DD-WRT Install Reply with quote
HackR10T wrote:
Waddup ya'll. This is my first post in an internet forum ever. I've been leeching information from the net since the 56k days. It's time I share what I've learned with others who may be in need. I'm making this post because when I was looking for directions on how to do it I couldn't find it all in one place. So once I figured it out, I figured I'd post it up in case anybody else finds it useful. Well anyway here goes.:

Hardware: Asus RT-AC3100
Firmware: http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2015/10-09-2015-r27944/asus-rt-ac88u/asus_rt-ac88u-firmware.trx

*router uses the reset button for recovery mode and the WPS button to hard reset.

count to 10
count to 10

*to hard reset:
press & hold WPS button
count 30 seconds
count 30 seconds
count 30 seconds
release WPS button

5) Start the recovery (if router is not in recovery mode the utility will tell you)
8 Go to 192.168.1.1

*process is the same for stock.fw to DD-WRT, DD-WRT to DD-WRT, or DD-WRT to stock.fw.

Any questions, comments, or mistakes. Holla at me.

Hi, I just signed up so I could reply to your post. Today I ordered the Asus RT-AC3100 and I'm checking options for custom firmware. It's my understanding the RT-AC3100 is the same as the RT-AC88U except for the RT-AC88U has eight LAN ports and the RT-AC3100 has four LAN ports. Also, the RT-AC88U has red painted antennas. Did you have any issues flashing the firmware for the RT-AC88U into the RT-AC3100 since it's missing four LAN ports?

Thanks, PB
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just use the file for your router. ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/10-06-2016-r30731/asus-rt-ac3100/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 16:47    Post subject: Asus Ac3100 ( with 4 Gig port) Reply with quote
Hi I need help

I used this guide to upgrade the firmware, once I put in recovery mode and select the file, the upload starts but fails at 50%

I used these two files
http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2016/10-06-2016-r30731/asus-rt-ac88u/

http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2016/10-06-2016-r30731/asus-rt-ac3100/
What am I doing wrong

count to 10
count to 10

*to hard reset:
press & hold WPS button
count 30 seconds
count 30 seconds
count 30 seconds
release WPS button

8 Go to 192.168.1.1
vivekster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:32    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote
Thanks for putting this together, it was really helpful and I wouldn't have felt comfortable risking my router if I hadn't found it!

I downloaded and installed the latest version of the firmware from here: https://dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=betas%2F2017 which at that point was 08-29-2017-r33257.

Since I installed I see there are already two newer versions there. How do you all decide how often to upgrade your firmware?
beren
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does this work with the newer baseband that does the bcc checks?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
To reset it, you only need to hold the wps button till the power led starts flashing. You only need todo it once not three times.

Last edited by Malachi on Sun Aug 19, 2018 22:02; edited 1 time in total
beren
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to follow up, recent BS and kong builds work on the ac3100. I used Kong's dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_AC5300.bin as someone else suggested and it worked perfect.
openmyrouterpls
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 19:05    Post subject: Asus RT-AC3100 router flash not working Reply with quote
Experts,

I tried flashing my router using below .trx file:
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/08-09-2018-r36527/asus-rt-ac3100/asus_rt-ac3100-firmware.trx

When it didn't work, I tried the previous build as well at:
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/07-28-2018-r36410/asus-rt-ac3100/asus_rt-ac3100-firmware.trx

Each time, I followed the process (I think?), and the router is back online and I go through the DD-WRT set up page etc, set up my wifi bands and everything. All lights are solid white except 'Internet'. As you all know, that means I cannot get on the internet.

Please advise! For now, I restored my router to ASUS firmware.

Thanks for your attention!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: