Initial install of DD WRT on Linksys EA6500 v1

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ponch23
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:46    Post subject: Initial install of DD WRT on Linksys EA6500 v1 Reply with quote
Hi. Just seeking some guidance on how to install DD WRT firmware for the first time on my Linksys EA6500 V1 router. My intention is to re-purpose the router as a wifi extender for our home. My router’s current Linksys factory firmware version is 1.1.29.162351

I have gone through the 3 main sticky threads about 3 times now but sadly I still do not feel confident about what I need to do. I’ve also done a quick search and found a few threads, which does not detail some of the notes mentioned in the peacock thread (or maybe it was but I just didn’t understand given the level of my “noob”iness).

I apologize and thank in advance the moderators and senior members who might have been asked about this in the past and still provide help and info.

So here is what I have read and understood so far and I am hoping the experts can guide, point out and supply details where I am missing information. I will quote the different snippets from the reading material (first three sticky postes) as I go along

I quote…

From the “READ THIS: Because "It's......complicated"

“Simply put, the builds recommended in the database are wrong, and the ones recommended in this forum are right for Broadcom”

“For initial flashing the best advice is in the peacock announcement note 5: follow the wiki!”

Peacock Thread

30-30-30 reset. DO NOT DO THIS PROCESS WITH AN EA SERIES LINKSYS ROUTER. Use the factory reset option.

YOU MUST FOLLOW THE WIKI INSTALL FOR YOUR ROUTER (NOTE 5 BELOW) IF YOU DO NOT ALREADY HAVE DD-WRT ON THE ROUTER

5. Read the WIKI and follow the wiki for INITIAL flashing of your router
DO NOT USE THE "ROUTER DATABASE" AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR FOLLOWING THE WIKI!

WIKI

Before You Download, Upgrade, or Flash
The user-friendly dd-wrt download page will help you identify the correct "killer" and dd-wrt firmware versions (as applicable) for your device as needed. However, you must use the peacock thread and use the information in the Hardware-specific page to accurately identify your hardware and not create a problem that renders your router useless.

Some newer routers are not supported by the latest stable release. Check the Supported Devices list for the minimum required DD-WRT version for your device

QUESTION: The hardware-specific page as well as the bottom section of the installation wiki page does not list the EA6500. However I have found information in the "supported devices" on what is the "Min usable DD-WRT version which is ea6500-build 23194 20131222. From the naming convention, I was able to find this in the appropriate downloads folder.

Is this information on min usable DD WRT version correct? Should I download it?

I quote…

Depending on your specific needs, you may need more than one download - such as a "killer" version, which must be installed prior to the dd-wrt firmware

QUESTION: Based on reading, killer firmware is needed for routers still on the original Linksys firmware. Is this correct? What is the killer firmware for the Linksys EA6500 v1?

I quote…

Use the _mini version when upgrading from original Linksys firmware. You need the _micro version if your hardware has 2 MB of flash (WRT54G v5 through v8 for instance). Use the "_mini" firmware if your hardware has 4 MB or more of flash (WRT54GL for instance).

QUESTION: What version should I use for Linksys EA6500 v1? _mini? _micro?

I quote…

"Flashing" Your Router with DD-WRT Firmware

For the initial flash from the Linksys firmware, do not use Firefox

Method 1: Flashing with Web GUI

1. Reset your router
a. Use Hard reset or 30/30/30.
b. While not as preferable (this may cause problems down the line) you can reset to Factory Defaults instead.
2. Log on to the Web GUI (if you have not done so already).
3. Upload the Firmware.
4. Do a hard reset

QUESTION:

1. Peacock thread advises not to do a 30/30/30 on an EA series Linksys router. So does it mean I have to reset to factory defaults via GUI only?
2. Do I simply upload the killer firmware (.trx file) via the web GUI?
3. How to do a hard reset if I cannot perform 30/30/30 now that I have a “killer” DD-WRT firmware installed?

Last edited by ponch23 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:09; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/02-05-2016-r29048/linksys-ea6500/

Book mark it. That is the latest build as to if its the best only time and searching will tell. Flash from the GUI is normally fine reest to factory default on flash.

Good luck

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
As far as I recall there was an issue with the first flash to DD-wrt.
Try flashing first version 23082.
If the above goes back to linksys firmware find an older version of linksys firmware and flash, if you cannot PM me.
After rebooting flash the newest version 29048 and chose "after flash return to factory settings"
Flash the same firmware twice, I do not remember if this router has dual firmware or not.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
blaser wrote:
If the above goes back to linksys firmware find an older version of linksys firmware and flash, if you cannot PM me.
After rebooting flash the newest version 29048 and chose "after flash return to factory settings"
Flash the same firmware twice, I do not remember if this router has dual firmware or not.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Successfully flashed to 23082 then to 29048. Smile

I can't believe it was that simple. I guess all those stick posts was just really about choosing the right TRX file for your router.

Now to do more reading on how to turn this into a wireless extender. All tips are welcome!

Cheers!
blaser
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
ponch23 wrote:
blaser wrote:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Successfully flashed to 23082 then to 29048. Smile

I can't believe it was that simple. I guess all those stick posts was just really about choosing the right TRX file for your router.

Now to do more reading on how to turn this into a wireless extender. All tips are welcome!

Cheers!

If you are looking for repeater bridge, it is very simple, I'm using version 27805, I found it to be the most stable.
instructions you will find here
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks got it to work the first time. Awesome! What do you mean though by stable? What issues should I be looking out for? Still on 29048

Also, the primary router is dual band. Do I bridge both bands? Or do I bridge one and connect clients wirelessly to the other (i.e bridge 2.4ghz to primary then connect my pc to 5ghz only)?

Any other settings I can play around with? There's an awful lot of settings that can be tweaked in there that I don't understand. Smile TA!
blaser
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
ponch23 wrote:
Thanks got it to work the first time. Awesome! What do you mean though by stable? What issues should I be looking out for? Still on 29048

Also, the primary router is dual band. Do I bridge both bands? Or do I bridge one and connect clients wirelessly to the other (i.e bridge 2.4ghz to primary then connect my pc to 5ghz only)?

Any other settings I can play around with? There's an awful lot of settings that can be tweaked in there that I don't understand. Smile TA!

Didn't have to reset it often.
I bridged the 5ghz network for better speed.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
blaser wrote:
ponch23 wrote:

Didn't have to reset it often.
I bridged the 5ghz network for better speed.

Thanks, got ya. I've flashed to 27805 now and used the 5Ghz to repeater bridge.

I'm curious now about what "Rate" are people getting. I get 216.5Mbps on the 2.4Ghz and 350.1 on the 5Ghz. Are there ways to increase this or is this the max for the EA6500 v1? I am using WPA2 Personal AES on both bands. WIreless Network Mode as "Mixed".
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: