Stupid question: how to enable IPv6??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
dpeters11
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
What benefit is there for ipv6 in a home network? Am I missing something here?
Sponsor
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
dpeters11 wrote:
What benefit is there for ipv6 in a home network? Am I missing something here?

Well the average user answer is when websites and services go IPv6 only, you'll be unharmed by that change if you run IPv6.

More technical reason is everyone has a public IP address even on the LAN. That means no NAT which means open connectivity to any other IPv6 client in gaming or file streaming and your router CPU won't be held back by the NAT overhead imposed with IPv4 (full gigabit WAN without hardware NAT acceleration in firmware like DD-wrt).

More minor features are things like a more simple packet structure compared to IPv4 packets (less fields, albeit a bigger packet size. So processing will be quicker), QoS mechanism in the packet, and more efficient multicast that basically makes a central server less of a need.

If you are thinking Local-Local as in not even going out to the internet. None really. But as new devices start only carrying support for IPv6, it will be the more common protocol even on LAN.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:24    Post subject: Re: Enable IPV6 with Verizon FIOS ISP Reply with quote
labo wrote:
Hi All,
I'm also trying to migrate to IPV6 using latest build: 29230M kongac (03/10/16)
I'm with Verizon FIOS and tried to setup IPV6 without any success
I went through the JAMSSTL thread and could not get the latest state of the IPV6 enablement in GUI.
Looks like we don't need scripts anymore.
But not able to find any steps/tutorial for this. Anyone successful with native IPV6 with Verizon FIOS?
Thanks

Well, I spent 30 mins with the Verizon tech support folks, one by one upto the engineer level.
The answer I got is that, Verizon FIOS just starting the deployment and the priority depends on the geo location. So my question is anyone successful using IPV6 with Verizon FIOS?
Thanks for any leads..
severneacsu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 0:00    Post subject: Re: Stupid question: how to enable IPv6?? Reply with quote
jerrytouille wrote:
Ok I have TimeWarnerCable, SB6141 modem, and dd-wrt r29193. Do I just enable IPv6 in dd-wrt menu (leave every settings on that menu as default), power cycle the modem and router (wait 30-sec) and it should work?

Because I did that and I'm still getting IPv4 via ipv6 test. Did I miss anything?

Thanks!

Where did you even find ipv6 I couldn't find it anywhere in dd-wrt. I had to use ipv4 enabled to get it to work properly.
DAC324
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
jerrytouille wrote:
Ok I got it to work, here's how for noobs like me:
- Setup - IPv6 - Enable

Could not find that option.

Router Name TP-WA901ND
Router-Modell TP-Link TL-WA901ND v3
Firmware-Version DD-WRT v3.0-r34876M std (02/08/1Cool
Kernel Version Linux 3.18.93 #7293 Thu Feb 8 04:35:49 CET 2018 mips

Please advise.

Thank you and kind regards,
DAC324
JeremiahK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try STD NoKaid for IPv6

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F#File_Versions
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: