Netgear R6400

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
pmars
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:29    Post subject: Netgear R6400 Reply with quote
It's NOT possible that a netgear R6400 router has no DD-WRT firmware when almost every other router on the planet is listed here. Whats wrong with the Router Database? Did I mention it's made by Netgear and it has PLENTY of memory to run DD-WRT!!!

I have got to get new firmware because it absolutely will not work with BTGuard and VUZE! It refuses to function with BTGuard settings.
Sponsor
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's Netgear's low cost replacement for the R6300V2 with additional rf switches. Still not a Nighthawk class router.

Let me guess, you bought it for price without checking to see what DD-WRT was supporting these days..

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:43    Post subject: Re: Netgear R6400 Reply with quote
pmars wrote:
It's NOT possible that a netgear R6400 router has no DD-WRT firmware when almost every other router on the planet is listed here. Whats wrong with the Router Database? Did I mention it's made by Netgear and it has PLENTY of memory to run DD-WRT!!!

I have got to get new firmware because it absolutely will not work with BTGuard and VUZE! It refuses to function with BTGuard settings.

Adding support would be easy if either BS or myself receive a unit. We are really busy with a those new units and usually don't add support for units that we do not own, as it would simply take much longer to do a port without a unit and you can't just fix all bugs if you don't have a unit.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is only one build for this router, from 2015, posted on myopenrouter.com (http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/dd-wrt-firmware-netgear-r6400-based-revision-27261). It's ok but I can't get maximum speed on both wifi frequencies. Some times is stable on 2.4 sometimes on 5ghz. I am still playing with the settings.

Some more support will be appreciated!
Xerxes3rd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have an R6400 as well (purchased because of Wirecutter's review), and have similar WiFi issues. On mine, the WiFi connection would drop momentarily every 60-120 seconds. It was enough to kick me off a VPN passthrough session, which is super annoying. I finally disabled WiFi altogether and am using a Ubiquiti AP, which is proving to be much more reliable. I noticed that the R6400 with stock firmware also has issues timing out VPN passthrough sessions- I had a session get interrupted, then I wasn't able to establish a new one until I rebooted the router. Yesterday I switched to the DD-WRT version posted on myopenrouter.com, and it seems to be OK so far.

I suspect that this model has WiFi stability issues that are core to its drivers or hardware design. I really wish I'd bought an R7000 (or pretty much anything else) instead of this awful thing.
gnutz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is not an awful thing buddy! As I said I am on DD-WRT Based on Revision 27261 by Tathagata and it's pretty stable now, after I played around with the settings.

My connection is 170Mbps and I get 150-160Mbps on 5Ghz and 50Mpbs on 2.4Ghz (single stream). There are about 10 devices connected all the time. I'm also running a samba server and the USB's are powering up a 1TB harddrive and Pine64 micro computer.

Is not bad at all for the price, just needs more love from the devs.
tweakradje
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have tried dd-wrt build too for a couple of days but back to stock firmware for now. Couldn't get the 2.4 and 5 Ghz stable and fast enough.

I hope we can share settings here to get some stable and fast wifi results.

The thing that is bothering me is the wireless settings list boxes and their behavior when selecting fixed channels, HT20 and HT40 and they don't stick with Save.
Always back to auto. Are there manual nvram settings that can help here?

gnutz wrote:
My connection is 170Mbps and I get 150-160Mbps on 5Ghz and 50Mpbs on 2.4Ghz (single stream)

@Gnutz, can you post some of your 2.4 and 5 Ghz settings? And did you change anything on adv. wireless settings for both cards?

Thanks
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
tweakradje wrote:
I have tried dd-wrt build too for a couple of days but back to stock firmware for now. Couldn't get the 2.4 and 5 Ghz stable and fast enough.

The thing that is bothering me is the wireless settings list boxes and their behavior when selecting fixed channels, HT20 and HT40 and they don't stick with Save.

http://tips.desipro.de/2014/02/12/wireless-starters-guide-for-first-time-dd-wrt-users/

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
tweakradje wrote:

http://tips.desipro.de/2014/02/12/wireless-starters-guide-for-first-time-dd-wrt-users/

Do a factory reset after flashing and read Kong's post. Analyze the wifi's around and chose the clearest channel for 2.4ghz and a high channel for 5ghz, 140 and up.
tweakradje
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks guys for the quick response. I have read Kong's dd-wrt section completely even before I started flashing. Very well written. Compliments.
Is pressing Save different than Apply when it comes to changing listbox choices?

However I want to set the following scenario and it wont let me.
I have HT20 and HT40 2.4Ghz clients. So auto would be the choice for Channel Width. Right? If that box is on Auto I cannot choose a fixed Channel, e.g. 13. Why?
Or is a fixed HT40- Channel Width downwards compatible with HT20 clients too?
Is there a way to choose the secundary 2.4Ghz channel with HT40? So choose a fixed upper or lower channel?

Thanks for your time and expertise. Really appreciated.

ps: I attached example of very low speed while copying a file from attached USB stick and NAS.

Windows WLAN adapter status:
Quote:

Name : Wireless Network Connection
Description : Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter #2
GUID : 0ac97072-a996-4205-8e52-41fccc7632ee
Physical address : dc:85:de:1b:de:90
State : connected
SSID : dd-wrt
BSSID : 2c:30:33:5d:a9:ff
Network type : Infrastructure
Radio type : 802.11n
Authentication : WPA2-Personal
Cipher : CCMP
Connection mode : Auto Connect
Channel : 13
Receive rate (Mbps) : 150
Transmit rate (Mbps) : 150
Signal : 100%
Profile : dd-wrt

Hosted network status : Not available

Q: where to start looking for bottleneck? Any linux commands that I can do to find the problem?

Cheers

Copy_File_Low_Speed_dd-wrt_R6400.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.79 KB
 Viewed:  26481 Time(s)

Copy_File_Low_Speed_dd-wrt_R6400.JPG

nvram.txt
 Description:
Current nvram R6400

Download
 Filename:  nvram.txt
 Filesize:  34.05 KB
 Downloaded:  690 Time(s)

Xerxes3rd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
gnutz wrote:
This is not an awful thing buddy! As I said I am on DD-WRT Based on Revision 27261 by Tathagata and it's pretty stable now, after I played around with the settings.

If you say so! =) Tathagata's build is working better than the stock image for me as well, though I'd given up on its WiFi capabilities before I tried DD-WRT on the thing. I'm honestly tempted to buy a new router and just send the 6400 off to one of the DD-WRT gurus so they can test a more proper build of DD-WRT.
tweakradje
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can I use any of Kongs builds from here on the R6400:
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

Cheers
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
tweakradje wrote:
Thanks guys for the quick response. I have read Kong's dd-wrt section completely even before I started flashing. Very well written. Compliments.
Is pressing Save different than Apply when it comes to changing listbox choices?

However I want to set the following scenario and it wont let me.
I have HT20 and HT40 2.4Ghz clients. So auto would be the choice for Channel Width. Right? If that box is on Auto I cannot choose a fixed Channel, e.g. 13. Why?
Or is a fixed HT40- Channel Width downwards compatible with HT20 clients too?
Is there a way to choose the secundary 2.4Ghz channel with HT40? So choose a fixed upper or lower channel?

Thanks for your time and expertise. Really appreciated.

ps: I attached example of very low speed while copying a file from attached USB stick and NAS.

Windows WLAN adapter status:
Quote:

Name : Wireless Network Connection
Description : Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter #2
GUID : 0ac97072-a996-4205-8e52-41fccc7632ee
Physical address : dc:85:de:1b:de:90
State : connected
SSID : dd-wrt
BSSID : 2c:30:33:5d:a9:ff
Network type : Infrastructure
Radio type : 802.11n
Authentication : WPA2-Personal
Cipher : CCMP
Connection mode : Auto Connect
Channel : 13
Receive rate (Mbps) : 150
Transmit rate (Mbps) : 150
Signal : 100%
Profile : dd-wrt

Hosted network status : Not available

Q: where to start looking for bottleneck? Any linux commands that I can do to find the problem?

Cheers

With this signal strength and adapter you should get more than 54M and definitely more than 600KB/s. The settings according to the screenshot look ok.

Only setting I don't see here is, if you disabled wmm, which would explain the problem. If you did not mess with it, then it is most likely an issue in the build.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xerxes3rd wrote:
gnutz wrote:

If you say so! =) Tathagata's build is working better than the stock image for me as well, though I'd given up on its WiFi capabilities before I tried DD-WRT on the thing. I'm honestly tempted to buy a new router and just send the 6400 off to one of the DD-WRT gurus so they can test a more proper build of DD-WRT.

Send it to Kong so he can add support for it, lol. Very Happy
tweakradje
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

With this signal strength and adapter you should get more than 54M and definitely more than 600KB/s. The settings according to the screenshot look ok.

Only setting I don't see here is, if you disabled wmm, which would explain the problem. If you did not mess with it, then it is most likely an issue in the build.

There is definitely something wrong with a (broadcom?) driver for the R6400.

With original Netgear fw I get much higher rates while copying (see image).

Pitty for dd-wrt, I will have to live with Netgear fw.

Cheers

R6400_Netgear_copy.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.89 KB
 Viewed:  26254 Time(s)

R6400_Netgear_copy.JPG

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: