DD-WRT x86 / x64 in VirtualBox (guide)

KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 16:03    Post subject: DD-WRT x86 / x64 in VirtualBox (guide) Reply with quote
How to run DD-WRT x86/x64 VM (Virtual Machine) in VirtualBox
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Skip step 1 if you already have a DD-WRT virtual disk dd-wrt_public_vga.vdi created.

1. Start VirtualBox. Modify settings of an existing VM Client:
Storage -> Controller: IDE -> Add new 1GB virtual disk dd-wrt_public_vga.vdi
Network -> Adapter 1 -> Attached to: NAT (= VirtualBox host-to-guest NAT/DHCP router), Type: Intel PRO/1000

Start the VM Client. Write dd-wrt_public_vga.image to 1GB disk:
- if OS is Windows use software PhysDiskWrite
- if OS is Linux use the terminal command: dd if=dd-wrt_public_vga.image of=/dev/sda

Stop the VM Client. Modify its settings:
Storage -> Controller: IDE -> Remove dd-wrt_public_vga.vdi
Network -> Adapter 1 -> Attached to: Internal Network (= switch connecting VM Client to VM DD-WRT), Type: Intel PRO/1000

2. Create a VM DD-WRT with settings:
Linux / Other Linux / Use existing virtual disk dd-wrt_public_vga.vdi
Network -> Adapter 1 -> Attached to: NAT, Type: Intel PRO/1000, Cable Connected: Uncheck
Network -> Adapter 2 -> Attached to: Internal Network, Type: Intel PRO/1000, Promiscuous Mode: Allow All

3. Start the VM DD-WRT and the VM Client.
Access VM DD-WRT WebGUI at 192.168.1.1 and enable WAN -> Automatic Configuration (DHCP)
VM DD-WRT -> Network -> Adapter 1 -> Cable Connected: Check
VM DD-WRT should get WAN IP 10.0.2.15 from the VirtualBox NAT/DHCP

Sponsor
lawlawlaw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have faced a situation about operation of wireless in virtualbox with dd-wrt(full version) installed on x86-64 platiform and i set wifi card passing through guest dd-wrt.

now i has successfully running dd-wrt inside virtualbox but wireless functionality cannot be used(not display wireless tab).It is being known to be trial version. I am not ensured that if i activate dd-wrt with key, the wifi functionality would be provided.

do you know what should i do to use wifi in this situation?
I would apprentice if get any help from you.
kamild1996
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
1. Start VirtualBox. Modify settings of an existing VM Client:
Storage -> Controller: IDE -> Add new 1GB virtual disk dd-wrt_public_vga.vdi
[...]

Start the VM Client. Write dd-wrt_public_vga.image to 1GB disk:
- if OS is Windows use software PhysDiskWrite
- if OS is Linux use the terminal command: dd if=dd-wrt_public_vga.image of=/dev/sda

Stop the VM Client. Modify its settings:
Storage -> Controller: IDE -> Remove dd-wrt_public_vga.vdi
[...]

Instead of all of that, you can just utilize VBoxManage present in your host machine in order to create an image ready to be used with VirtualBox. Simply use this command:

• if on Windows (run in admin command prompt just in case): C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe convertdd FullPathToYourSourceImageFile FullPathToOutputTheFileInto --format VDI
  • if on Linux - same, just without the full path to VBoxManage: VBoxManage convertdd FullPathToYourSourceImageFile FullPathToOutputTheFileInto --format VDI

EDIT: OK I see, for some odd reason, doing it my way makes the dd-wrt installation within the image not work properly (WAN not working, guru meditation on restart etc). Disregard...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: