Weird thing with how interfaces are showing...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
MoreBloodWine
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:33    Post subject: Weird thing with how interfaces are showing... Reply with quote
Router: Netgear WNDR4500
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/04/15) giga

Ok, so looking at the image with the "colored" items. They show as eth items when AFAIK they should show as wl items.

My brother also just told me that I guess his wired connection PC is showing in Win as a wireless networked device.

Anyone got any ideas as to what's up ? Everything seems to connect to the internet fine but as far as I can tell the only weird thing is how some of the interfaces show as seen in the image.

Also, looking at the item with MAC ending 42:0D... thats my brothers system. I assume since it's showing there it's connected to LAN and not wireless lol, so why he would be reporting what he is reporting seems weird to me.

So ya... ne ideas or requests for me to gather more info ?

Oh ya, and the item MAC ending 53:60... even though it's interface is showing as ethered... it should be a 1 like the other oddball items and not 2 the way it's connected like the others.

ddwrt-weird.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.86 KB
 Viewed:  2221 Time(s)

ddwrt-weird.png

Sponsor
MoreBloodWine
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
As far as my brothers "issues" go... I just took these with my phone if they help at all.

20160626_223606.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  392.25 KB
 Viewed:  2214 Time(s)

20160626_223606.png

MoreBloodWine
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
In hindsite, the only thing I don't think I did and I fail to see how it would cause any of this is that after installing the custom FW. I don't believe I did the reset to factory defaults either via the GUI or button on the back of the router.
Brimmy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your brother's PC is not on wireless connection as it is showing up on the local area connection, meaning wired and not wireless. To edit the connection name on his PC all he has to do is click on the House and on the new window that pops up which would be Set Network Properties, click on Merge or delete network connections then delete the unused network name/s then on the Set Network Properties window, just rename the network as you want then click on ok.

Do you have 2 tivos connected to the network and if not then it means that the one TIVO is connected to 2 of your networks, how the hell did that happen is beyond me but it would have to be the "administrator's" fault, probs you huh. Very Happy
MoreBloodWine
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brimmy wrote:
Your brother's PC is not on wireless connection as it is showing up on the local area connection, meaning wired and not wireless. To edit the connection name on his PC all he has to do is click on the House and on the new window that pops up which would be Set Network Properties, click on Merge or delete network connections then delete the unused network name/s then on the Set Network Properties window, just rename the network as you want then click on ok.

Do you have 2 tivos connected to the network and if not then it means that the one TIVO is connected to 2 of your networks, how the hell did that happen is beyond me but it would have to be the "administrator's" fault, probs you huh. Very Happy
Long day, so ok his systems fine. As for the TiVo. The one is it's main connection and the second under a diff Mac is a built in device. What about the colored items though that are wireless but showing as eth ?

Edit: Also. I don't thing my brothers system as a nic card and if it doesn't. Why show the wireless cons avail ?
Brimmy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
MoreBloodWine wrote:
Brimmy wrote:

Long day, so ok his systems fine. As for the TiVo. The one is it's main connection and the second under a diff Mac is a built in device. What about the colored items though that are wireless but showing as eth ?

Edit: Also. I don't thing my brothers system as a nic card and if it doesn't. Why show the wireless cons avail ?

The fact that your bro's system is showing the wireless connections means he has a wireless NIC, i am almost 100% sure he at least has the drivers for it installed. To be sure, you can type Device Manager in windows control panel search and then go to Network Adapters and check what drivers are installed. My desktop has wireless thanks to AUSU's wifi module and even though i don't use it and the driver is installed, well was installed some months ago, i reinstalled Win7, and i can see all the wireless connections in my area even without the provided antennae installed.

About the colored MACs, i would put the MACs in question in the MAC filter as MACs to block and see which devices are not being able to connect anymore, if all of your devices in your home work i would leave those MACs you just put in the filter so that it won't show up anymore but if it is linked to your devices i would just remove it from the filter. A router reboot is a good idea too.

Also, all of those MACs are static, meaning someone added them and it isn't auto DHCP so they would show up unless you remove it.
MoreBloodWine
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Everything works fine connecting to the internet and I set the statics. I just think it's weird that the colored items show up as eth1/2 (wired) when they're infact wireless. Which leads me to suspect it's just an odd bug in my fw of some sort.

Especially when I have other wireless items that show as wl just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: