New Kong's build: DD-WRT 30020M - 2016/06/26

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
CloneVince
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 22:06    Post subject: New Kong's build: DD-WRT 30020M - 2016/06/26 Reply with quote
Kong's DD-WRT build 30020M - 2016/06/26 has been released: http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

Your reports for Broadcom units are greatly appreciated !
Router:
Firmware:
Kernel:
Reset:
Errors:

This build thread is for reporting successes and problem with loading this experimental test build. This is important info for developers and users. Always state your hardware and SPECIFIC build (e.g. 29440_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv64k.bin). Do not ask questions about your specific router or how to configure it in this thread; create your own thread to discuss any specific problems you have or need resolved. Please also do not respond to such questions. This thread is to report info, not to seek it. Posts that do not add to understanding this build will be deleted. Make sure you know how to flash properly and the risk before using this build. It is important to adhere to these requirements, to keep this thread from becoming impossibly long and useless. If you don't know what build to flash and how to flash properly and have a means of recovery if things should go wrong, do NOT flash this experimental test build.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
R7000 updated with
Code:
ddup --flash-remote http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin

Code:
ddup --flash-latest

didn't work =(

BTW, all is working as usual, thx Kong Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router: Netgear R7000
Firmware: r30020M kongac (06/26/16)
Kernel: 4.4.14 #108 SMP Sun Jun 26 22:52:41 CEST 2016 armv7l
Reset: NO
Errors: NO

Updated via web, all ok.
james1795
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 23:49    Post subject: R8000 Reply with quote
@Kong I flashed your latest version. No issues, but the only thing I see is that internet speeds are at 75% in wireless. Are you experiencing the same thing? Should I increase the TX rate?
e3000usr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router: Asus RT-AC56U
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r30020M kongac (06/26/16)
Kernel: Linux 4.4.14 #108 SMP Sun Jun 26 22:52:41 CEST 2016 armv7l
Reset: No
Errors: Yes

Had no problem using 30000, 30020 has locked up after less than an hour uptime. Router unreachable, had to hard reset. If it happens again I am going to flash one more time but not save my settings.
e3000usr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
e3000usr wrote:
Router: Asus RT-AC56U
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r30020M kongac (06/26/16)
Kernel: Linux 4.4.14 #108 SMP Sun Jun 26 22:52:41 CEST 2016 armv7l
Reset: No
Errors: Yes

Had no problem using 30000, 30020 has locked up after less than an hour uptime. Router unreachable, had to hard reset. If it happens again I am going to flash one more time but not save my settings.

Router became unresponsive and locked up again. Going to try resetting settings and if that doesn't work will flash an older build until a new firmware is out.
CloneVince
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:53    Post subject: Re: R8000 Reply with quote
james1795 wrote:
@Kong I flashed your latest version. No issues, but the only thing I see is that internet speeds are at 75% in wireless. Are you experiencing the same thing? Should I increase the TX rate?

Same feeling here, slower wifi 2,4/5Ghz since 30020M Sad
I can't test my internal speed yet, but will test it this afternoon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I corroborate - wifi range has decreased on both 2.4GHz/5GHz bands in the recent two builds (30000M & 30020M)
giuliomagnifico
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
What you mean for "wifi speed drops" on K4?! Do you have any test/comparison? I'm curious, my wifi seems to be good, I don't make huge file transfer via wifi but I can do speedtests at 70/80mbit at 6/7 meters behind two walls (but I'm not using wifi encryption, only MAC address block).

Can Kong confirm this issue? Because I'm reading of this trouble since the K4 and I'm curious if it's a real issue with the drivers or only related to some users settings...
mchaney
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
R8500 on 30020...

If you guys haven't done a reset and a fresh setup since 30000, you might want to try that. I started having what appeared to be WiFi signal drops on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz but the connection would drop momentarily even when very good signal strength was reported. My Amazon Echo even started failing to turn on/off the WiFi light switch, only working maybe 1 out of 5 tries.

Then I did an erase nvram, rebooted, and set everything up from scratch and I have the most stable, fastest connections I've had since I got my R8500 some months ago. Amazon Echo to the WiFi light switch is instantaneous every time, none of my security cameras are stuttering, son no longer complaining his 5 Ghz drops randomly and then comes back during games, etc. Internet speeds are pegged at my ISP's ~230Mbps on both wired and 5 Ghz. 2.4 seems good for a 20Mhz bandwidth too.

Just updated to 30020 with 46 trouble free hours on 30000 and so far, 30020 is working just as well. My advice: try a reset (using erase nvram - I've found that to be safe on Kong FW) and fresh setup and see if it helps.

Mike
dragonC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
giuliomagnifico wrote:
What you mean for "wifi speed drops" on K4?! Do you have any test/comparison? I'm curious, my wifi seems to be good, I don't make huge file transfer via wifi but I can do speedtests at 70/80mbit at 6/7 meters behind two walls (but I'm not using wifi encryption, only MAC address block).

Can Kong confirm this issue? Because I'm reading of this trouble since the K4 and I'm curious if it's a real issue with the drivers or only related to some users settings...

I verified this with the iperf3 server builtin to DD-WRT. I am getting around 10% drop in 5ghz and up to 30-40% drop in 4ghz compared to when I last measured a K3 build (that was a couple months ago - likely on one of the builds after 295xx). Measurement was done at the same location in my living room - it is away from the router by 1 wall and a ~10 feet hallway/open space.

This drop is also paired with inconsistencies (zig-zag variations) in the speedtest benchmark. But I tend not to trust those internet speedtest -- they are not entirely measuring wifi speed after all. I usually go by iperf.
dragonC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
mchaney wrote:
R8500 on 30020...

If you guys haven't done a reset and a fresh setup since 30000, you might want to try that. I started having what appeared to be WiFi signal drops on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz but the connection would drop momentarily even when very good signal strength was reported. My Amazon Echo even started failing to turn on/off the WiFi light switch, only working maybe 1 out of 5 tries.

Then I did an erase nvram, rebooted, and set everything up from scratch and I have the most stable, fastest connections I've had since I got my R8500 some months ago. Amazon Echo to the WiFi light switch is instantaneous every time, none of my security cameras are stuttering, son no longer complaining his 5 Ghz drops randomly and then comes back during games, etc. Internet speeds are pegged at my ISP's ~230Mbps on both wired and 5 Ghz. 2.4 seems good for a 20Mhz bandwidth too.

Just updated to 30020 with 46 trouble free hours on 30000 and so far, 30020 is working just as well. My advice: try a reset (using erase nvram - I've found that to be safe on Kong FW) and fresh setup and see if it helps.

Mike

Forgot to mention.

I did a erase nvram and setup manually afresh when moving to 30000
mchaney
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
dragonC wrote:
I verified this with the iperf3 server builtin to DD-WRT. I am getting around 10% drop in 5ghz and up to 30-40% drop in 4ghz compared to when I last measured a K3 build (that was a couple months ago - likely on one of the builds after 295xx). Measurement was done at the same location in my living room - it is away from the router by 1 wall and a ~10 feet hallway/open space.

This drop is also paired with inconsistencies (zig-zag variations) in the speedtest benchmark. But I tend not to trust those internet speedtest -- they are not entirely measuring wifi speed after all. I usually go by iperf.

Are you on the R8500? I just tested my 2.4 Ghz with WiFi Analyzer. I have a standard spot about 50 feet from the router where I normally test. Pre-30000, I was getting about -64dBm in that spot. Now I'm getting about -58dBm so it looks like the signal has improved quite a bit for me. Wonder why yours is worse? How do we get to the bottom of the mystery? Any other tests we could run? Also, I assume that like me, you left the wireless advanced settings at defaults? I leave mine on default and don't try to change Tx power, etc. Only thing I do is set my WiFi channel to 6 for 2.4 Ghz as that's the least cluttered for me.

Edit: I also notice some improvement when I go to Wireless status and look at the signal strengths there. Signals seem to be up between 2 and 5% across the board for all (dozen or so) devices, most of which are on 2.4 Ghz as they are wireless security cameras.

Mike
dragonC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
mchaney wrote:
Are you on the R8500? I just tested my 2.4 Ghz with WiFi Analyzer. I have a standard spot about 50 feet from the router where I normally test. Pre-30000, I was getting about -64dBm in that spot. Now I'm getting about -58dBm so it looks like the signal has improved quite a bit for me. Wonder why yours is worse? How do we get to the bottom of the mystery? Any other tests we could run? Also, I assume that like me, you left the wireless advanced settings at defaults? I leave mine on default and don't try to change Tx power, etc. Only thing I do is set my WiFi channel to 6 for 2.4 Ghz as that's the least cluttered for me.

Edit: I also notice some improvement when I go to Wireless status and look at the signal strengths there. Signals seem to be up between 2 and 5% across the board for all (dozen or so) devices, most of which are on 2.4 Ghz as they are wireless security cameras.

Mike

Nope - I am on a R7000. It seems the pattern is R7000 works less well with K4 builds, while R8500 works better.

@<Kong>: can anything inside the build explain this difference in behavior?
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
mchaney wrote:
dragonC wrote:

Mike

Signal always depends on channel/width/country settings and the internal power tables, these powertables have not been changed, thus either you have changed the country channels width etc. Also antenna alignment makes a big difference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: