Compile smallest firmware for E3000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
newnews
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:55    Post subject: Compile smallest firmware for E3000 Reply with quote
Hello,

I need help for building my own DD-WRT firmware of E3000. The router is bricked, I tried the following:
1. Ping 192.168.1.1 works for a few seconds after power on but then it times out. TFTP firmware uploading works for a few seconds and then lost connection.
2. then I connect Serial console: I cannot see any output on Putty, however, if I keep pressing CTRL+C, I am able to stop the router, ping 192.168.1.1 works continuously, but TFTP to router has no response at all.

It seems the router can accept TFTP if I do not hit CTRL+C, how ever the minimum image size I have is 3.7MB, the transmission times out at around 2~3MB.

How can I compile a image for E3000 which only contain necessary part for WEB Flashing so I can send it with tftp before the connection times out? Once this image is flashed, I can flash normal firmware to get router working.

Please advice. Thanks
Sponsor
Mike42Smith
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had also bricked my E3000 some time ago. So I can feel with you. Wink

First I had the same behaviour when I sent pings to the E3000 after reboot. No worries.

From what opertion system on your client do you try to flash / connect to the E3000? I remember, I had some problems with windows and tried it with linux afterwards. However you should see at least some output from the serial console otherwise the connection is buggy. What parameter do you use for your serial connection?

Finally I wouldn't use any own compiled firmware. With which firmware revision have you tried it already?

Raspberry Pi and TP-Link TL-WR710N with OpenWRT
tou.manokat@gmail.com
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 17:20    Post subject: Re: Compile smallest firmware for E3000 Reply with quote
Make sure you set these: Baud: 115200 Data bits: 8 Stop Bits: 1 Parity: none No Flow control on putty. Having done that and still nothing on putty, try to swap the RX and TX pins. I debricked my E3000 before and when the baud rate was set to 9600, I couldn't see a thing on minicom.

newnews wrote:
Hello,

I need help for building my own DD-WRT firmware of E3000. The router is bricked, I tried the following:
1. Ping 192.168.1.1 works for a few seconds after power on but then it times out. TFTP firmware uploading works for a few seconds and then lost connection.
2. then I connect Serial console: I cannot see any output on Putty, however, if I keep pressing CTRL+C, I am able to stop the router, ping 192.168.1.1 works continuously, but TFTP to router has no response at all.

It seems the router can accept TFTP if I do not hit CTRL+C, how ever the minimum image size I have is 3.7MB, the transmission times out at around 2~3MB.

How can I compile a image for E3000 which only contain necessary part for WEB Flashing so I can send it with tftp before the connection times out? Once this image is flashed, I can flash normal firmware to get router working.

Please advice. Thanks

Linksys 120N
Linksys Valet-M10 Tomato v132
Linksys Valet-M20 Tomato V132
Netgear WNR3400 Advanced Tomato
Netgear WNR3400 Advanced Tomato
TRENDNet TEW-632BRP DD-WRT r22118
TRENDNet TEW-632BRP DD-WRT r22118
Buffalo G300NH DD-WRT r22118
TPLINK WNDR1043ND DD-WRT r22118
TPLINK WNDR1042ND Stock
TPLINK WNDR841ND r22118
DLINK DIR-835 A1 r22118
DLINK DIR-835 A1 r22118
DLINK DIR-835 A1 r22118
DLINK DIR-501 Stock firmware
DLINK WBR-2310 Stock firmware
Linksys E3000 Shibby Tomato
Linksys E2500 Advanced Tomato
Netis WF-2404 Stock
Netis WF-2404 Stcck
Belkin N600 Extender (Bricked on its own)
irha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having exactly the same issue. The connection drops after sending a little over 1MB. Did you happen to solve this issue and unbrick your router?
Blue Thyristor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
In my experience with this router, even if you succeed in sending the firmware through TFTP, the router will act like you didn't. Serial connection is a more reliable option, though disassembling the router every time you need to do it is a PITA.
irha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blue Thyristor wrote:
In my experience with this router, even if you succeed in sending the firmware through TFTP, the router will act like you didn't. Serial connection is a more reliable option, though disassembling the router every time you need to do it is a PITA.

I have been reading up other posts and it looks like serial/JTAG solutions were successfully used even when there is no ping. In some better cases, folks were able to get consistent pings after 30/30/30 or 30/5/5 reset method and that allowed them to tftp a new firmware. I looked at one guide for serial method and it does seem to be a PITA.
Blue Thyristor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's straightforward enough, especially if you can go though the WAN port, but I wouldn't risk it without the right connector. It's just too easy to short the pins and kill the serial port. That leaves opening the router, and that's what I was referring to. In any case, my point was that if you don't get enough time to comfortably transfer with TFTP, chances are, it won't work anyway even if the transfer were to finish. The CFE is just not listening. But if it works out, good for you...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: