Wrong reported router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Garwinski
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
quarkysg, I have installed your version. The newest versions from DD WRT for the 868L rev B bricked my router constantly. Your versions did the trick though, thanks for that, finally I have a router in client mode on 5GHZ, getting 150Mbit now Very Happy

However, as you are not updating your versions, can I just install the newest DD WRT version available for 868L Rev B over your version? Or do I need to go back to stock firmware, use factory to ddwrt, and then webflash all over again if I want to upgrade the DD WRT version?
Sponsor
quarkysg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
In theory you can upgrade from my builds to the latest offficial builds from BS. I would advice you wait it out tho. Current version is not stable at the wireless department. My VAP all doesn’t work using the latest builds.
Garwinski
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
quarkysg wrote:
In theory you can upgrade from my builds to the latest offficial builds from BS. I would advice you wait it out tho. Current version is not stable at the wireless department. My VAP all doesn’t work using the latest builds.

All right, thanks, I'll wait it out. Your version works perfectly for what I want, as I just use DD WRT for Client mode, nothing fancy. But, as most people here probably, I am a stickler for when it comes to IT stuff, and my brain starts to itch when I know there is a newer version for something available. But yea, I'll hold off, maybe I will forget about it in time anyways, because, as I said, my 868L does exactly what I want it to do now. Thanks for the reply.
coper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 20:47    Post subject: Latest r36330 on Dir-860l-A1 and Dir-868l-A1 Reply with quote
Garwinski wrote:
quarkysg wrote:

All right, thanks, I'll wait it out. Your version works perfectly for what I want, as I just use DD WRT for Client mode, nothing fancy. But, as most people here probably, I am a stickler for when it comes to IT stuff, and my brain starts to itch when I know there is a newer version for something available. But yea, I'll hold off, maybe I will forget about it in time anyways, because, as I said, my 868L does exactly what I want it to do now. Thanks for the reply.

Thank you quarkysg!
I have a Dir-860l and Dir-868l with three vlans connected to an Opnsense.
I didn't read your post and installed the latest r36330.
After user complaints after two day usage, it took me 3 hours to analyse the errors and find out, that it was the r36330 from July.
I came from r35244 and went back to it.
No problem for Dir-860l-A1, but the Dir-868L-A1 I had to reset and flash back the original software and than installed dd-wrt.
No it works again as before.
One small thing:
Most clients (windows linux and androids) are connecting to the 2,4Ghz wlan, only a Samsung S9+ changes to the faster 5Ghz??
Garwinski
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 17:00    Post subject: Wrong reported router Reply with quote
So I just now noticed that DD WRT thinks I have a 880L instead of a 868L (rev B):

https://imgur.com/F2k5kjk

Could this just be an error? My 868L is doing a good job for me on my pc which is connected with a cable to the 868L that is configured as a client, which is connected to a router wirelessly, which is connected to the modem of the ISP with a cable. I think everything actually works as intended, as I get 150Mbit on my pc, which is the speed my ISP is capping me at I believe.

So functionality-wise, everything seems fine. Can this potentially do any harm to the router itself? The 880L and 868L have different chips after all (AC1900 vs AC1750 I believe).

I went from the stock firmware to DD WRT a few months ago using this firmware from Quarkysg:

https://imgur.com/Qv62wWh

as I could not get the newest versions of DD WRT to work while flashing from the stock firmware the 868L rev B comes with(lots of people with the same problem a few pages back). The version of Quarkysg worked fine, but I only now noticed that DD WRT is reporting the wrong router after I dabbled with some settings due to a loss of bandwidth lately and thought maybe this could have to do with that problem. I have fixed my speed problems (It was actually probably something in the router to which my 868L as a client connects to), but the wrong router being detected still bugs me.

I wanted to flash DD WRT completely from scratch, but I cant seem to get into the recovery mode of the router. Flashing a new update for DD WRT through the web GUI of DD WRT did not solve the issue ( I used the latest version of DD WRT, found in the directory for the DIR868L Rev B).

Can I flash a factory to DD WRT .bin, instead of a webflash.bin, through the webGUI of DD WRT to get a sort of 'clean slate' and see if that solves my issue? Or is that not how it works?
quarkysg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 22:16    Post subject: Re: Wrong reported router Reply with quote
Garwinski wrote:
Can I flash a factory to DD WRT .bin, instead of a webflash.bin, through the webGUI of DD WRT to get a sort of 'clean slate' and see if that solves my issue? Or is that not how it works?

I would suggest the following steps:

1. Flash your DIR-868L back to factory default using the router recovery function. You have to configure your LAN interface IP to any of the the IP from 192.168.0.2 to .254 and access the router recovery page via http://192.168.0.1 using your favourite browser.

2. Reset to factory default in factory firmware using GUI.

3. Flash the factory-to-ddwrt firm that I've uploaded to my Box shared folder. You can also use the same version of the firmware found in the official DD-WRT download section. It's the same file.

4. Reset to default in DD-WRT using GUI.

5. Flash to latest firmware. You can use what I've uploaded or use the latest from the DD-WRT website.

The router detection code for the DIR-868L is buggy, from my experience of later firmware version. Resetting the NVRAM settings using older firmware seems OK. The above steps works for my 868L Rev A.

IIRC, the detection code for 868L Rev A/B/C are the same.

Once you have the configuration done up, backup a copy of the router configuration, so that you can recover from it in future, when this happens again.

HTH.
Garwinski
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:28    Post subject: Re: Wrong reported router Reply with quote
quarkysg wrote:
Garwinski wrote:

I would suggest the following steps:

1. Flash your DIR-868L back to factory default using the router recovery function. You have to configure your LAN interface IP to any of the the IP from 192.168.0.2 to .254 and access the router recovery page via http://192.168.0.1 using your favourite browser.

2. Reset to factory default in factory firmware using GUI.

3. Flash the factory-to-ddwrt firm that I've uploaded to my Box shared folder. You can also use the same version of the firmware found in the official DD-WRT download section. It's the same file.

4. Reset to default in DD-WRT using GUI.

5. Flash to latest firmware. You can use what I've uploaded or use the latest from the DD-WRT website.

The router detection code for the DIR-868L is buggy, from my experience of later firmware version. Resetting the NVRAM settings using older firmware seems OK. The above steps works for my 868L Rev A.

IIRC, the detection code for 868L Rev A/B/C are the same.

Once you have the configuration done up, backup a copy of the router configuration, so that you can recover from it in future, when this happens again.

HTH.

Thanks, I will try this out when I have the time.

EDIT:

Well, no luck: I tried to go from factory firmware to all your factory versions, and on the oldest, 5GHZ was not recognised at all, and the others identified my 868 as "Broadcom Northstar", and I couldnt get client mode over 5GHZ working again.

After countless times of reflashing to stock and using multiple combinations of your firmware, I finally got at least 5GHZ client mode working again, but the 868 is still reported as Broadcom Northstar. I will not dare to restart my router now, it is finally working again as before, but still with the wrong model name, and the bottom light doesnt do anything anymore (which doesnt bother me, but what I have going on now looks unstable to say the least).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: