Nighthawk X10 (R9000)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
labo wrote:
@BS, Thanks for the excellent build.
First time 2.4GHz radio, QAM256 working with my existing devices. Earlier it was working only between R9000's I set it up as WDS AP-STA.

However, still the 60Ghz radio is not working.
It shows unknown channel with 0 dBm.

How about this WiGig card support?
Dell Wireless DW1601 QCA9005 8V256 WiGig 802.11AD 7Gbps Half Mini Wireless Card
it is available for pretty cheap from ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Wireless-DW1601-QCA9005-8V256-WiGig-802-11AD-7Gbps-Half-Mini-Wireless-Card-/261454166168

ignore whats shown in the gui. its working anyway if configured properly. for its working including encryption support. it also shows the correct channel. only thing which may be the case for you is the selected country. some countries do not support all 60 ghz channels. i just tested channel 1. no further issue. just worked

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
changes are mainly for 802.11ad support. interface is now working again. was broken in the past since chipset firmware was broken

I don't want to hijack this thread so if I need to start my own topic please feel free to let me know, however my question is about the r9000

First time posting on the forum here. Thank you for the hard work over the years. I started using dd-wrt back when I still had a Linksys WRT54G. If I'm not mistaken I remember having to JTAG it to unbrick it.

Issue Details:
Now down to brass tacks! I had been meaning to get a VPN for a while and finally got around to it only to find out that my asus rt-ac66u didn't have enough ponies even after flashing it and bumping up the clkfreq just for giggles, and I was still unable to receive 10% of my paid for bandwidth over openvpn.

OpenVPN is a single threaded process so higher clock frequency equals more throughput hypothetically. I then went out and purchased the r9000 and flashed it (happy with the results, but.. ). I then decided to see if the r7800 with its same clock frequency dual core vs quad (in the r9000) was capable of handling the 256 encryption streaming over openvpn client. I purchased the r7800 hoping that I would see negligible difference in bidirectional throughput over the vpn to save some cash since the x10 costs 2.25 times as much as the x4s, but even at the same clock frequency those extra two cores are still helping somehow?!?! when only a single client is attached to LAN through cat6 cable unless this is a fw issue.

Issue Questions:
Is there anyone who owns both who can validate this?

I plan on running a home business and multiple clients some of which will be streaming 4k UHD. Using online bandwidth flash / html5 (I know these are subjective at best, but hear me out...) tests the r7800 looks like it is fighting just to maintain close to the advertised bandwidth I pay for and struggle buses along when attempting to stream. On the other-hand the r9000 using the same exact openvpn client will often completely saturate the pipeline one test I ran even gave me almost twice my advertised downstream bandwidth over AES-256.

Why is it that even if I disable the wireless radios on the r7800 that for single threaded openvpn client the r9000 with all radios on is destroying the r7800?
thanks in advance if anyone has any recommended tweaks to get this r7800 pulling as much as the r9000
Minus2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please disregard my previous questions. I am not sure why this is the case in my particular setup, but for some reason explicitly adding static LAN IP addresses for the client mac addresses is night and day between performance metrics.

I already had static addresses setup in my old router and was bench marking performance of these two new routers with minimal configuration to evaluate how each performed for VPN usage. After assigning a static address the r7800 is performing equivalent to the r9000. I thought the x10 seemed a little big and overkill for my usage scenario with the exception to the Plex Media server functionality that I haven't fully delved into.

I guess my only remaining question is at this junture if anyone thinks the r9000 (build 31802) is worth the additional 270 USD over the r7800 (currently on 31800M Kong) as far as future proofing is concerned?

1. I don't have any 60Hz devices or WiGig.
2. 802.11ax isn't slated for quite sometime and <speculation> there likely won't be a firmware update to make the x10 radios compatible with it, so I'm just returning a device pipe dream to get 270 USD back right?
tmo1138
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
tmo1138 wrote:
@labo et al

Just a quick question.. is there anything performance or bandwidth-wise (other than 802.11ad) that you lose by moving from stock to dd-wrt currently? I seem to recall that early in the R8000 support with Kong's builds that there was some discussion that the stock firmware gave better wireless throughput than dd-wrt builds.

Thanks .. sorry for the noobish question.

on my R7000 and R7800 with stock firmware wi-fi was ok but the router was unstable with random reboots...
In fact with all my DD-WRT routers i noticed opposite no reboots and WI-FI is super stable...
Well i also, do agree there are some wi-fi problematic builds so it comes and goes.... it's your game to find your best build and the only way to find is try'n test

I was thinking more about features like MU-MIMO.. from what I see reading trac it looks like MU-MIMO has been supported for a while. Just wondering how it is specifically in the R9000..

After I get dd-wrt back into the R8000, do a burn in and get the house moved over to it I'll see about spinning up the R9000 with dd-wrt next.

Useful links:

Builds:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2020/

dd-wrt supported devices:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

So long <kong> and thanks for all the fish!
janthony6
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can't get IPv6 working with latest firmware posted above from april2nd. I've reset everything and it's not working.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Minus2 wrote:
BrainSlayer wrote:
changes are mainly for 802.11ad support. interface is now working again. was broken in the past since chipset firmware was broken

I don't want to hijack this thread so if I need to start my own topic please feel free to let me know, however my question is about the r9000

First time posting on the forum here. Thank you for the hard work over the years. I started using dd-wrt back when I still had a Linksys WRT54G. If I'm not mistaken I remember having to JTAG it to unbrick it.

Issue Details:
Now down to brass tacks! I had been meaning to get a VPN for a while and finally got around to it only to find out that my asus rt-ac66u didn't have enough ponies even after flashing it and bumping up the clkfreq just for giggles, and I was still unable to receive 10% of my paid for bandwidth over openvpn.

OpenVPN is a single threaded process so higher clock frequency equals more throughput hypothetically. I then went out and purchased the r9000 and flashed it (happy with the results, but.. ). I then decided to see if the r7800 with its same clock frequency dual core vs quad (in the r9000) was capable of handling the 256 encryption streaming over openvpn client. I purchased the r7800 hoping that I would see negligible difference in bidirectional throughput over the vpn to save some cash since the x10 costs 2.25 times as much as the x4s, but even at the same clock frequency those extra two cores are still helping somehow?!?! when only a single client is attached to LAN through cat6 cable unless this is a fw issue.

Issue Questions:
Is there anyone who owns both who can validate this?

I plan on running a home business and multiple clients some of which will be streaming 4k UHD. Using online bandwidth flash / html5 (I know these are subjective at best, but hear me out...) tests the r7800 looks like it is fighting just to maintain close to the advertised bandwidth I pay for and struggle buses along when attempting to stream. On the other-hand the r9000 using the same exact openvpn client will often completely saturate the pipeline one test I ran even gave me almost twice my advertised downstream bandwidth over AES-256.

Why is it that even if I disable the wireless radios on the r7800 that for single threaded openvpn client the r9000 with all radios on is destroying the r7800?
thanks in advance if anyone has any recommended tweaks to get this r7800 pulling as much as the r9000

i answer your question anyway. you are right openvpn is using a single core as application. but there is more. all the newwork handling and even the context switch for copying data from user to kernelspace by the tun interface may use different cores. the same for the ethernet interfaces which are offloaded on all cores and finally its the same clock, but not the same cpu. the alpine cpu seem to be slighly better performing than the ipq cpu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
janthony6 wrote:
Can't get IPv6 working with latest firmware posted above from april2nd. I've reset everything and it's not working.

more details please. there are dozens of ipv6 setup variants.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
tmo1138 wrote:
Alozaros wrote:
tmo1138 wrote:
@labo et al

Just a quick question.. is there anything performance or bandwidth-wise (other than 802.11ad) that you lose by moving from stock to dd-wrt currently? I seem to recall that early in the R8000 support with Kong's builds that there was some discussion that the stock firmware gave better wireless throughput than dd-wrt builds.

on my R7000 and R7800 with stock firmware wi-fi was ok but the router was unstable with random reboots...
In fact with all my DD-WRT routers i noticed opposite no reboots and WI-FI is super stable...
Well i also, do agree there are some wi-fi problematic builds so it comes and goes.... it's your game to find your best build and the only way to find is try'n test

I was thinking more about features like MU-MIMO.. from what I see reading trac it looks like MU-MIMO has been supported for a while. Just wondering how it is specifically in the R9000..

After I get dd-wrt back into the R8000, do a burn in and get the house moved over to it I'll see about spinning up the R9000 with dd-wrt next.

the r9000 uses 9984 based wifi chipsets. so mu mimo is supported for sure. can be enabled / disabled at wireless basic->advanced settings

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
tmo1138 wrote:
Alozaros wrote:
tmo1138 wrote:
@labo et al

the r9000 uses 9984 based wifi chipsets. so mu mimo is supported for sure. can be enabled / disabled at wireless basic->advanced settings

cool! Thanks for the info, Brainslayer!

Useful links:

Builds:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2020/

dd-wrt supported devices:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

So long <kong> and thanks for all the fish!
swick1981
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 19:10    Post subject: Help... Reply with quote
Hey Kong & BrainSlayer,
First off... Thank you so much for the hard work you put into these MOD's. They are utterly AMAZING and I am grateful!

Now, on to my question...
I've been using the R7000 (Kong's Build) for a LONG TIME but was just given the R9000 from my vendor as a gift. I'd like to be able to setup the R9000 just like the R7000 with Link Agg (802.3ad). However, the VLAN page is not available and that is where I would bind the 2 ports in order to get it running (mostly). I can get to that page by typing the page address directly, BUT that didn't work either as it only listed 4 ports and this router has 6. So, can someone help a total idiot like me and give me nearly idiot proof instructions to setup Link Agg (LACP) 802.3ad?
The Cisco switch I'm hooking into is already setup and ready, so I just gotta setup on the router. Could I trouble you all for some help?

THANKS!
Swick
lucky_strike33
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 14:25    Post subject: Re: Help... Reply with quote
swick1981 wrote:
Hey Kong & BrainSlayer,
First off... Thank you so much for the hard work you put into these MOD's. They are utterly AMAZING and I am grateful!

I've been using the R7000 (Kong's Build) for a LONG TIME but was just given the R9000 from my vendor as a gift. I'd like to be able to setup the R9000 just like the R7000 with Link Agg (802.3ad). However, the VLAN page is not available and that is where I would bind the 2 ports in order to get it running (mostly). I can get to that page by typing the page address directly, BUT that didn't work either as it only listed 4 ports and this router has 6. So, can someone help a total idiot like me and give me nearly idiot proof instructions to setup Link Agg (LACP) 802.3ad?
The Cisco switch I'm hooking into is already setup and ready, so I just gotta setup on the router. Could I trouble you all for some help?

THANKS!
Swick

You should put "@" (@Brainslayer) that will get his attention right away or he would get notified that he is being mentioned.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 16:07    Post subject: Re: Help... Reply with quote
lucky_strike33 wrote:
swick1981 wrote:
Hey Kong & BrainSlayer,

THANKS!
Swick

You should put "@" (@Brainslayer) that will get his attention right away or he would get notified that he is being mentioned.

this isnt twitter or discord..this is an ancient forum

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

raidensix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does Softether VPN work on the R9000 ?
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
it should, but its sloppy as ever see my issues with it http://svn.dd-wrt.com/timeline

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

usaf-lt-g
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm debating purchasing an R9000 as I really need to step up to a more robust router #1, but #2... I really want to toss my main power hog pc that's running plex server right now and toss it on the router.

I have googled, and also searched this thread, but didn't see a clear response.

I see DD-WRT is compatible with the R9000, but if I flash it, do I lose the ability to install Plex Media Server on it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 45, 46, 47  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 20 of 47
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: