New to dd-wrt need advise

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
monsterfj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 23:25    Post subject: New to dd-wrt need advise Reply with quote
Hello Forum,

I'm new to dd-wrt and I'm looking for some guide and recommendation on how to install dd-wrt on my R7800. I have purchased new R7800 last week to fix my lag issues with online gaming. I play Call of duty every day and I have 25 mb down and 5 up. However, when I tried the R7800, I started to lag like nobody's business. I didn't have this issue with my 4 yr old router. I can literally see myself lagging and bullets don't register when shooting. I did my research to fix this issue and a lot of people suggested to enable Dynamic QoS but that didn't fix it. I checked on DSLrepots.com and run the speed test. I had very bad bufferbloat and received a grade of F on both bufferbloat and Quality. after doing more research, I tweaked the QoS and I set my download and upload speed manually. After many tests on DSLreport, I found that when I lowered the download speed to 24 mb and upload speed to 4 mb, it fixed my bufferbloat on the upload side but my download still has bad bufferbloat. Also I turned off WMM and that helped with Quality of my internet and made my internet stable. Now my online gaming is much better now but still not perfect.

I've seen alot of videos on youtube talking about dd-wrt and it has SQM or fq_codel implemented that can help stable the internet and improve bufferbloat and eliminates the lag in online gaming. Well, I did more research on dd-wrt but the guide on dd-wrt made me scared to install it. What I need to know are these:

1- Do you recommend me to install dd-wrt on my R7800?

2- Is there any issue with the firmware that would make me regret installing dd-wrt on my R7800?

3- Is it possible to revert back to factory firmware with no issues? while doing my research I found that some people were unable to revert back to factory firmware. even Kong, the developer, replied to someone that he was unable to revert back to factory firmware. Also someone mentioned that when reverting back to factory FW his 5G is not working anymore. Are these issues still happening?

4- I found latest build here http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/ what I know so far is that I have to reset my router to factory defaults first. Then install R7800-factory-to-ddwrt.img through firmware upgrade page. Then im not sure what to do with ddwrt-netgear-R7800.bin? I don't wanna brick my router I want to know everything before proceeding.

5- Do I have to do 30 seconds reset button? and when should I do that?

6- how to revert back to factory firmware?

7- how to upgrade to the latest firmware after installing dd-wrt?

I know I asked so many questions but these will help me decide if I will keep my R7800 or return it back for a refund. Since I see no benefit of spending 200 dollars for a device that makes me suffer in online gaming. I'm not an expert in networking I'm actually a noob but I know some stuff and I understand things quickly. I would really appreciate a detailed response.

Thank you so much
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 0:04    Post subject: Re: New to dd-wrt need advise Reply with quote
monsterfj wrote:
Hello Forum,

I'm new to dd-wrt and I'm looking for some guide and recommendation on how to install dd-wrt on my R7800. I have purchased new R7800 last week to fix my lag issues with online gaming. I play Call of duty every day and I have 25 mb down and 5 up. However, when I tried the R7800, I started to lag like nobody's business. I didn't have this issue with my 4 yr old router. I can literally see myself lagging and bullets don't register when shooting. I did my research to fix this issue and a lot of people suggested to enable Dynamic QoS but that didn't fix it. I checked on DSLrepots.com and run the speed test. I had very bad bufferbloat and received a grade of F on both bufferbloat and Quality. after doing more research, I tweaked the QoS and I set my download and upload speed manually. After many tests on DSLreport, I found that when I lowered the download speed to 24 mb and upload speed to 4 mb, it fixed my bufferbloat on the upload side but my download still has bad bufferbloat. Also I turned off WMM and that helped with Quality of my internet and made my internet stable. Now my online gaming is much better now but still not perfect.

I've seen alot of videos on youtube talking about dd-wrt and it has SQM or fq_codel implemented that can help stable the internet and improve bufferbloat and eliminates the lag in online gaming. Well, I did more research on dd-wrt but the guide on dd-wrt made me scared to install it. What I need to know are these:

2- Is there any issue with the firmware that would make me regret installing dd-wrt on my R7800?

3- Is it possible to revert back to factory firmware with no issues? while doing my research I found that some people were unable to revert back to factory firmware. even Kong, the developer, replied to someone that he was unable to revert back to factory firmware. Also someone mentioned that when reverting back to factory FW his 5G is not working anymore. Are these issues still happening?

4- I found latest build here http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/ what I know so far is that I have to reset my router to factory defaults first. Then install R7800-factory-to-ddwrt.img through firmware upgrade page. Then im not sure what to do with ddwrt-netgear-R7800.bin? I don't wanna brick my router I want to know everything before proceeding.

I know I asked so many questions but these will help me decide if I will keep my R7800 or return it back for a refund. Since I see no benefit of spending 200 dollars for a device that makes me suffer in online gaming. I'm not an expert in networking I'm actually a noob but I know some stuff and I understand things quickly. I would really appreciate a detailed response.

Thank you so much

u havent looked here especially in the r7800 thread much have u..& know this that most of ur problem is ur bad internet provider, a 25/5 plan and u have to go down an entire megabit on the upload? aweful, & ur download seems worse, 24 and still bufferbloating apparently, then go down to 23, 22.. itll stop eventually, u should be complaining to them.

1. yes

2. no

3. yes, & kong also stated theres a command to be run as well..

4. no u dont need to reset to defaults before flashing, thats crap as after THE FIRST TIME from stock to ddwrt, then u can reset after ddwrt is installed. to get rid of any remaining stock fw nvram. .bin is for upgrading or downgrading ddwrt <--> ddwrt, u do not need to erase settings before or after flashing when dealing with ddwrt <--> ddwrt unless one of the rare times a developer tells u to for X reason.

5. no there is no triple 30 (30/30/30, old inaccurate misinformed data that went viral) on qualcomm atheros, u'd only hold the reset button for a bit if u wanted to erase settings, its 1 of 3 ways to do so.

6. look closely again at kong's site u linked above ("NetgearFW" & read it's FAQ in there). u can also tftp it back on, as well as tftp ddwrt. tftp will be ur method of fixing a brick if any happens. u cant permanently destroy this router so forget about that.

7. see my answer for #4

ignore all the "gaming gaming gaming" crap plastered all over anything to do with computers and networking, its all for marketing to look flashing & pretty to ur eyes so we buy it and companies get ur money, that is all. set properly games will be fine, like +4ms when using all ur upload, +15ms when using all ur download, around there.

i use these custom port entries in qos

"DNS_PORT" = 53~53 tcp/udp (maximum)
"FTP_PORT" = 21~21 tcp (express)
"HTTPS_PORT" = 443~443 tcp (express)
"HTTP_ALT_PORTS" = 8080~8085 tcp (express)
"HTTP_PORT" = 80~80 tcp (express)
"UDP54+_PORTS" = 54~65535 udp (premium)

that helps work around some of the issues qos still has but maybe they will be fixed soon when 1 of our devs gets a new internet plan soon. and do not use htb packet scheduler with this router its broken.

for wifi settings see the qualcomm settings link below.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

monsterfj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:04    Post subject: Re: New to dd-wrt need advise Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
monsterfj wrote:
Hello Forum,

Thank you so much

u havent looked here especially in the r7800 thread much have u..& know this that most of ur problem is ur bad internet provider, a 25/5 plan and u have to go down an entire megabit on the upload? aweful, & ur download seems worse, 24 and still bufferbloating apparently, then go down to 23, 22.. itll stop eventually, u should be complaining to them.

1. yes

2. no

3. yes, & kong also stated theres a command to be run as well..

4. no u dont need to reset to defaults before flashing, thats crap as after THE FIRST TIME from stock to ddwrt, then u can reset after ddwrt is installed. to get rid of any remaining stock fw nvram. .bin is for upgrading or downgrading ddwrt <--> ddwrt, u do not need to erase settings before or after flashing when dealing with ddwrt <--> ddwrt unless one of the rare times a developer tells u to for X reason.

5. no there is no triple 30 (30/30/30, old inaccurate misinformed data that went viral) on qualcomm atheros, u'd only hold the reset button for a bit if u wanted to erase settings, its 1 of 3 ways to do so.

6. look closely again at kong's site u linked above ("NetgearFW" & read it's FAQ in there). u can also tftp it back on, as well as tftp ddwrt. tftp will be ur method of fixing a brick if any happens. u cant permanently destroy this router so forget about that.

7. see my answer for #4

ignore all the "gaming gaming gaming" crap plastered all over anything to do with computers and networking, its all for marketing to look flashing & pretty to ur eyes so we buy it and companies get ur money, that is all. set properly games will be fine, like +4ms when using all ur upload, +15ms when using all ur download, around there.

i use these custom port entries in qos

"DNS_PORT" = 53~53 tcp/udp (maximum)
"FTP_PORT" = 21~21 tcp (express)
"HTTPS_PORT" = 443~443 tcp (express)
"HTTP_ALT_PORTS" = 8080~8085 tcp (express)
"HTTP_PORT" = 80~80 tcp (express)
"UDP54+_PORTS" = 54~65535 udp (premium)

that helps work around some of the issues qos still has but maybe they will be fixed soon when 1 of our devs gets a new internet plan soon. and do not use htb packet scheduler with this router its broken.

for wifi settings see the qualcomm settings link below.

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate that. You actually cleared a lot of my concerns. However, when you told me that QoS still has some issues! Why would I flash my router to dd-wrt? because QoS is the main reason to switch to dd-wrt and fix my bufferbloat for online gaming. This video convinced me to switch to dd-wrt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfqKqCZJ2Tc&t=32s I've seen a lot of videos that QoS fixed their bufferbloat but I'm afraid it won't fix my issue and I would waste 200 dollars for nothing. I think dd-wrt will void the warranty and I will be stuck with it if it doesn't fix my issue. I'm not sure if I can return it back to best buy even if I revert it back to factory firmware? Can I do that?

Please advise me on this. Should I go ahead and flash my R7800 with dd-wrt or maybe return it and buy a cheaper one under 100 dollars and then flash it with dd-wrt?

Thank you so much
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
our qos with issues still blows away stock firmware qos, thats utter garbage..no flashing ur router does nothing to warranty, u want to return u flash it back to stock first, the remains of what u asked about that are already answered in ur first questions.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

monsterfj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
our qos with issues still blows away stock firmware qos, thats utter garbage..no flashing ur router does nothing to warranty, u want to return u flash it back to stock first, the remains of what u asked about that are already answered in ur first questions.

Wow! Thanks for your fast response. Thanks for informing me that dd-wrt won't void my warranty. At least I have time to test it out and see if it's going to fix my issues. I will flash my router now and I will get back to you once I install it and test it out.

Big Thanks to you, very helpful forum. I'm glad I joined you.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: