linksys e1200 stopped working a shot time after connecting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Shaggy1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:20    Post subject: linksys e1200 stopped working a shot time after connecting Reply with quote
Hi

I'm looking at setting up a home network (possibly with two LANs) using a vpn connection. I am hoping to set the router up as my vpn server and would like to put dd-wrt in order to do so.

This is my first time with dd-wrt, so I got a linksys e1200 v2 router to give it a go. The reason I chose this router is because it is cheap - I I believe I may be paying for that decision now, but wanted to check if someone had had the same problem and knew what the issue was.

I loaded the dd-wrt firmware using the instructions here:
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E1200v2

The flash upload seemed to go fine, I connected via an ethernet port, configured the basic and wireless settings (enabled ssh, disabled telnet, but no vpn configuration yet). I hooked this up to my modem and all seemed to be working fine (connection to setup pages and wireless connection to internet was fine). I left it connected for a night and day, but when I got back the linksys router was dead - the wireless connection did not work and I could no longer access the set up pages (could not ping the router).

When I power it up all the LEDs on the interfaces simply light up green and stay that way - no flashing.
I have tried power cycling, reset and 30/30/30 reset, but it does not make any difference.

I strongly suspect this is a hardware failure, but has anyone else had this happen with a linksys e1200 v2 ?
Could it be something to do with the dd-wrt firmware I loaded ?
Does anyone know what might be the cause of the breakdown (even if it is hardware related) ? And if so is there any possibility of bringing the router back to life ?
Sponsor
Shaggy1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Humble apologies to the administrator. I think I have probably posted this query in the wrong forum - the linksys has a Broad com BCM5357 chipset and this should probably go in the Broadcom forum.

I will wait for an indication/retribution, then can re-post on that forum if required.
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
It does sounds like a hardware failure to me. How old is the router? I guess it is probably a few years old.

Try pinging the router continuously with the following command on your PC using command prompt:

ping 192.168.1.1 -t

While it is pinging, power up the router and see if you get any response from the router. If not, I am afraid the router is dead.
Shaggy1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your response.

I will try the ping at power up and if nothing doing give it up for a bad job.

No the router is new - I bought it explicitly to try out dd-wrt. My searches have indicated that other people have had problems with the linksys e1200 - not seen anything that looks identical to this problem though.

I'll get a different router and try again.
wathcerize
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Shaggy, i'm having the same exact scenario like yours, have you ever figured out how to solve this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: