Getting wrong file size from firmware-mod-kit

domc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:58    Post subject: Getting wrong file size from firmware-mod-kit Reply with quote
Hi all. I plan to make some changes to the firmware for the DIR-880L, and as a first step I just wanted to extract and rebuild the existing image using firmware-mod-kit to make sure that process works as expected.

To extract the image I run the following command on my Ubuntu 14.04 development machine:

sudo ./extract-firmware.sh dir880-webflash.bin

Once the extraction process is complete, without making any changes to the extracted firmware I run:

sudo ./build-firmware.sh

When that command completes, I get a warning indicating that the resulting binary is larger than the original which may brick the device.

When I rerun the command with the -min option, I get the correct file size, but the output states that the original binary used a 128 KByte block size and the new image uses a 1024 KByte block size. Looking into this further, using the -min option could cause performance issues on the target.

Does anyone know why simply extracting and rebuilding an image would result in a larger image?

Any tips on how to recreate the same size without the possible performance hit with using -min?

Any tips would be very much appreciated!
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: