DD-WRT Travel Router, wisp and VPN capable

morpheon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 19:54    Post subject: DD-WRT Travel Router, wisp and VPN capable Reply with quote
So my close friend is moving to China for some time for work and is going to be put up in a hotel which will either have wifi or an Ethernet port. As such I would like to get her a cheap travel router that is DD-WRT capable for the following use cases:

hotel wifi---------->dd-wrt router---------private WLAN------> devices

hotel ethernet --->dd-wrt router--------private WLAN-------> devices

Now I have had success with both of the above configurations (I believe there are known as unbridged reapeater/WISP and unbridged WLAN respectively) using the TP-Link WR810N and KrypteX's flash as found here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1068337&highlight=#1068337

However, here's the curveball, as it is china I would like the DD-wrt to act as a VPN client as well, ideally with several different configurations that can be switched between easily, (my friend is not very tech-savvy). Unfortunately the above flash does not include any clients apart from PPTP.

Do any of you kind souls know of a travel router/DD-wrt combination that would be capable of this.
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe you know that you need a more expensive router to support openvpn on dd-wrt, one with 8M or more flash. This wiki will help you in determining which router is best to meet your need: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_devices

However, I would suggest you go for one with a Broadcom platform as it gives you more choices besides dd-wrt such as Tomato as it allows you to setup two configurations for openvpn which you can choose from the GUI. As for dd-wrt, the GUI only allows you to setup one configuration and some members have successfully use different configurations by using the command control instead of GUI setting. It involves killing the running process and start another one which of course is not as straight forward as you may think so it is not easy even for the tech savvy. Hence, I think it may be too much for your friend.

I don't know how many devices your friend need to connect to the Internet. I would guess, cellphone, laptop and/or tablet. If the hotel has wifi then I believe all the devices should be able to connect to it without the travel router. Have openvpn client setup on the individual device may be easier and more straight forward for your friend.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://www.gl-inet.com/ar150/

and DD-WRT drivers for it ...

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/05-02-2017-r31924/GL.iNet-AR150/

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
airbon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe I know what is setting you done to get the wisp working?
I also have the TL-WR810N with DD-WRT Firmware and would like to get WISP working.
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 22:08    Post subject: Travel router options Reply with quote
I too would like some options for modern and fast "travel" router hardware that can run the latest dd-wrt software.

My hardware wish list would include....

Dual core - 800 Mhz - 1Ghz
256 /128 memory / storage
1x USB 3.1
USB-C based power and power port ( and USB-c power cable and power adapter) like Google wifi is.
3 or 4 Ethernet ports.

Latest and greatest builds Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: